multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Never got one of these and they don’t have them where I live, so someone help me out here... they’re fining you for being the owner of a vehicle that was speeding? Basically they’re not saying you personally were speeding, but your vehicle was and you shouldn’t allow that to happen? So basically we shouldn’t let anyone drive our vehicle...? I don’t know what’s going on with this but I don’t like it
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
in some areas there would be 2 pics of the vehicle weather is speeding or red light runners. the 1st pic would be the front of the vehicle to show who was driving. and l plate info. 2nd pic would be the l plate info if your dont or not require to have a front l plate.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Never got one of these and they don’t have them where I live, so someone help me out here... they’re fining you for being the owner of a vehicle that was speeding? Basically they’re not saying you personally were speeding, but your vehicle was and you shouldn’t allow that to happen? So basically we shouldn’t let anyone drive our vehicle...? I don’t know what’s going on with this but I don’t like it

in this case yes, he is the owner of the jeep and the jeep was caught in a speed trap. however the camera does not prove who was driving.

think of it like a parking ticket. your buddy borrows your jeep and illegally park in a no parking zone. the cop slaps a ticket on the windshield. so you are stuck in paying for that ticket.

Sponsored

noswttea4u

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
in some areas there would be 2 pics of the vehicle weather is speeding or red light runners. the 1st pic would be the front of the vehicle to show who was driving. and l plate info. 2nd pic would be the l plate info if your dont or not require to have a front l plate.
I received several of these while in high school/college and my tag was still in my dad's name. Always was mailed to him and had my tag in one pic and my smiling face in the other.

Similar if your car is in the toll lane without a pass. Doesn't matter who is driving, whoever's name the tag is in is getting the bill.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i've wondered and found out about the speed trap by air. on i80 or i81 i'll see a sign said speed enforced by small aircraft. so a buddy of mine said that the speed trap can be enforce by aircraft, but a cop car will be in that general area to pull over speeder to ticket the driver.

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
No that’s not what I meant. The fact that they won’t surcharge you proves that this is not legal. In court you would beat that every time, they have to prove within a reasonable doubt that it was you, circumstantial evidence cannot be used to convict someone. You don’t have to admit to driving and you don’t have to lie and say you weren’t, you can simply invoke the fifth and say nothing and there’s nothing they can do about it, they have to dismiss it. They are banking on people bending over and taking it like they are doing you some sort of favor by not surcharging you. It’s nothing but an illegal money grab. I’m not a lawyer but I did minor in criminal Justice so I do have some knowledge on the subject.
Doesn’t work like that in New York. There is literally no way to get out of paying the fine. Trust me I’ve gone down many legal avenues because I unfortunately get a bunch.

desmosurf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Kinda the problem with our society....
Broox has no issue paying the fine (he did it, has the integrity to own up and laughs about it) and a bunch of folks jump on here and try to offer their two cents on how to circumvent the system and avoid responsibility.
My wifes old TJ (red 2 door with a smiley face rear tire cover) was caught in the same predicament...
We did not try to "avoid the charge".... She did it, laugh and move on!

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Kinda the problem with our society....
Broox has no issue paying the fine (he did it, has the integrity to own up and laughs about it) and a bunch of folks jump on here and try to offer their two cents on how to circumvent the system and avoid responsibility.
My wifes old TJ (red 2 door with a smiley face rear tire cover) was caught in the same predicament...
We did not try to "avoid the charge".... She did it, laugh and move on!
The problem with our society is the allowance of the erosion of our constitutional rights. What about the governments responsibility to PROVE he was the violator?? He owned up to it, good for him, his choice. But what's next? 'Well, we seen your vehicle outside the bank when it was robbed, we have it on video, so here's 10-20 years.' A little bit of a stretch? Maybe, but not as far as you'd like to think when you get down to the brass tacks of it all.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Well, in the U.K., the registered keeper of the vehicle receives the ticket/letter and has (I think) 14 days to respond. They can either admit the offence, pay the fine and take the points on their driving licence or name somebody else as the driver at the time of the offence. The penalties for either ignoring the ticket or nominating somebody who wasn’t driving are a lot worse than for the original offence. Basically you can’t avoid the penalties.

We have a lot of cameras too, simple speed cameras, average speed over a stretch of road cameras, bus lane cameras and traffic light cameras.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Same in EU, the fine is technically for the vehicle. The vehicle was speeding. Regardless of who was driving the owner is responsible for the behavior of the car. Sort of like a dog, the owner is still responsible if the dog bites someone while being walked by the neighbor. If you loan out your car to another driver you are still responsible for how it is used. More important you are responsible also for the tickets YOU get while driving. There seems to be a lot more honesty in this aspect in Europe. Not sure why everyone in the US is so eager to get away with speeding tickets all the time when they get caught. Just own it or don’t do it.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I agree with those in the "own it" camp. Yea, it sucks, but like mentioned, you did it, own it, if you really weren't driving, tell who ever was to pay up, or borrow a different car.

We have tons of red light cameras, one caught my work truck while a buddy had it. I showed him time and day, he claimed at that moment his uncle was driving, so he should have to pay. Long story short, I don't lend my buddy anything anymore.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It won't let me post the video, but here's the pics of me cutting a light real ugly. I was more focused on the Wrangler out ahead of me, and completely forgot about the red light cams at this intersection. Funny how front plates are required in NY, but there were no front pics taken.
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, that didn't take long... 11112020_152024_0634_1_265_204_1i1
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, that didn't take long... 11112020_152025_0634_1_266_204_2i2
Sponsored