Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Did a search, couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd start a thread.

Let's talk Welders!
My experience with welders is limited. I learned to MIG weld in college, but it was for a 3D Design class (nothing fabrication or structural). I haven't touched one in ~15 years and I haven't really had the space for one, or the time to learn more. With my work schedule, and quarantine, things are opening up... just a little.

Right now, I'm looking into the small ones (FluxCore I believe). I don't have the room for a full size welder as I'm still in an apartment, but I do have a garage, and enough room on my toolbox setup to store a small one. I'm more or less looking to do some easy fabrication (light brackets, mirror mover brackets), just to get a better feel for it.

What should I be looking for?
What are some good models?
What else would I need to get a decent and safe set up (Mask obviously, jacket? Gloves? Wire? Gas?)?

I'm not looking to do any heavy fabrication immediately, and will possibly be looking used if/ when I decide to buy. .

Educate me, please and thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Did a search, couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd start a thread.

Let's talk Welders!
My experience with welders is limited. I learned to MIG weld in college, but it was for a 3D Design class (nothing fabrication or structural). I haven't touched one in ~15 years and I haven't really had the space for one, or the time to learn more. With my work schedule, and quarantine,

Right now, I'm looking into the small ones (FluxCore I believe). I don't have the room for a MIG welder as I'm still in an apartment, but I do have a garage, and enough room on my toolbox setup to store a small one. I'm more or less looking to do some easy fabrication (light brackets, mirror mover brackets), just to get a better feel for it.

What should I be looking for?
What are some good models?
What else would I need to get a decent and safe set up (Mask obviously, jacket? Gloves? Wire? Gas?)?

I'm not looking to do any heavy fabrication immediately, and will possibly be looking used if/ when I decide to buy. .

Educate me, please and thanks in advance!
What exactly do you want to weld? What you need will depend on your requirements. So far we have MIG, and something small. How thick of metal? What type of metals? What power is available?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What exactly do you want to weld? What you need will depend on your requirements. So far we have MIG, and something small. How thick of metal? What type of metals? What power is available?
Power: Regular 110V GFCI power.

As for what I'd be looking to weld? Small projects, nothing structural. Think intro to Welding 101, I guess, is the best way to describe it. Maybe Light brackets, or a CB mounting bracket/ parts- so Flat steel... No thicker than 3/16", mostly steel. Not looking to get into anything structural, or something that would have a lot of stress on the weld. Maybe do the Fog light project like you did with your bumper.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what is possible on the most basic end. Learn about set ups and basic stuff

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Power: Regular 110V GFCI power.

As for what I'd be looking to weld? Small projects, nothing structural. Think intro to Welding 101, I guess, is the best way to describe it. Maybe Light brackets, or a CB mounting bracket/ parts- so Flat steel... No thicker than 3/16", mostly steel. Not looking to get into anything structural, or something that would have a lot of stress on the weld. Maybe do the Fog light project like you did with your bumper.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what is possible on the most basic end. Learn about set ups and basic stuff
I would take a look at the Millermatic 141, or if you can afford it, the MIllermatic 211. Both meet your criteria and will do GMAW and FCAW.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Hobart 210MVP is another dual voltage option that's cheaper than the M211 but it's heavy being transformer based and the fan is obnoxiously loud. If you can swing the M211 you get less weight with the inverter design and still have dual voltage to grow into it later. Honestly, the 211 could pretty much last you a lifetime

I'd stay with the Big 3: Lincoln, Miller or Hobart (the latter 2 are both ITW). Like anything else the off-brand machines are appealing due to low price, but they're essentially disposable and parts availability and tech support will be virtually non-existent. OTOH I've called both Miller and Hobart years after purchase and reached an actual person who speaks actual English. Lincoln recently won me over with a buttery smooth arc in the 256.

Pay no heed to brand loyalty of red vs white vs blue unless you also enjoy watching others fight over GM vs Ford

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Depending on budget, it’s hard to pass up a Lincoln 210mp. It’s 120/220v so something you can grow with if you end up having 220 available. Get a bottle of mig mix, I avoid flux core like the plague and would rather stick weld than use flux core. You don’t have to get a huge bottle either. This will allow you to lay down nice looking welds (up to you) without a lot of clean up.

In the shop I switched over to Miller, but for the weekend warrior, the 210mp is super easy to set up with a user friendly screen that tells you what to do.

Brett

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This is awesome. Thanks so much for all the info guys, I'll do some research and come back with any questions.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Depending on budget, it’s hard to pass up a Lincoln 210mp. It’s 120/220v so something you can grow with if you end up having 220 available. Get a bottle of mig mix, I avoid flux core like the plague and would rather stick weld than use flux core. You don’t have to get a huge bottle either. This will allow you to lay down nice looking welds (up to you) without a lot of clean up.

In the shop I switched over to Miller, but for the weekend warrior, the 210mp is super easy to set up with a user friendly screen that tells you what to do.

Brett
U R AWESOME M8, just sayin,

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

Brett
This gets beyond the OP’s desires, but does the 210 have the ability to weld gussets/trusses to an axle? That’s probably the heaviest duty I would subject one to. Have have a Lincoln 100HD and can’t stand the flux core any more. I’m with you, it’s SO MUCH work cleaning off the mess after each weld!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This gets beyond the OP’s desires, but does the 210 have the ability to weld gussets/trusses to an axle? That’s probably the heaviest duty I would subject one to. Have have a Lincoln 100HD and can’t stand the flux core any more. I’m with you, it’s SO MUCH work cleaning off the mess after each weld!
Good question. No other welder threads i could find, so feel free to post any questions or discussions about choosing a Welder for your use case/ budget..

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it would. You’ll also need a rose bud torch or a way to pre and post heat the cast steel. You’re not welding anything particularly thick, the axles just a huge heat sink that has to be heated and slowly cooled to prevent cracking

Brett

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it would. You’ll also need a rose bud torch or a way to pre and post heat the cast steel. You’re not welding anything particularly thick, the axles just a huge heat sink that has to be heated and slowly cooled to prevent cracking

Brett
Brett, what temperature do you preheat to? I thought 500 F was a good number, but I see guys using little propane torches and welding with their axles and seals installed.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brett, what temperature do you preheat to? I thought 500 F was a good number, but I see guys using little propane torches and welding with their axles and seals installed.
I don’t want to give out to much info that could get someone in a bind and want to have a disclaimer that welding on a truss isn’t a great plan unless you’re comfortable welding in awkward angles or different metallurgy.

We heat to around 400-450, the cast is a huge heat sink. I pull the fad and gasket out too. We have axle stands that fit on one of our roll around tables. That’s what we set the axles on and makes it easy to get them into the best positions too

I don’t see a handheld propane torch putting out enough btu to be feasible but with enough patience it might work

Brett

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the Lincoln 210MP, used one alot for work and got the Miller comparable, Multimatic 215. Both models run on either 110/220v and come ready to for stick and mig welding, and can do tig if you buy the kit.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, I don't see how a handheld LP torch is gonna do a damn thing except light my wood stove.....MAPP would give you a better shot, er rather I guess it's all fake MAPP since '08...but even then you're wasting your time. To put any real heat into a casting like an inner C you need oxy acetylene or I've known guys who swear by oxy and LP for scrapyard work - never tried the latter myself

Also generally speaking for newbs: if you know you're pushing the limits of your machine flux core burns hotter and digs deeper so you'll get better penetration all other things being equal.
Sponsored