Weird! Wrangler started itself.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
reading through all the fun poke the OP I have a concern. hows your neighborhood? gated community? bad area? many stolen cars? crime rate? you know with the Push to start there is common thieves that have made a repeater to pick up the signal of the key fob in the house and send it to a second device and person that is next to to vehicle and allows them to unlock and start the car. Could be them testing it out and your wife spooked them by turning a light on or off in the house?. i'd check security cameras if you have them or a neighbor has them? and see if anyone was near your home and or jeep when it started. Just my opinion.
Like this
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/T...ith-key-fobs-and-keyless-start-492123881.html
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yup thats the one GreyFox!. i key my keys in the center of my house in my safe as i dont drive my jeep or 76 but on the weekend's. you never know when a low life is gonna strike! :bandit:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
7 AM today, wife tells me my Wrangler is running. This is a 2019 Sport, 3.6 AT, no remote start. Has 1700 miles. It was parked overnight in the driveway. The fob was inside. When I went out, it had stopped. The hood was covered in frost and fuel gauge was reading what it had when I parked it last night, so it clearly wasnt running all night. Gear shift was in park. When I tried it, it started normally.

Anyone have any possible explanation?
Always wondered what that wall switch did in my den! Sorry.

OP
OP
Mikeoso

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
reading through all the fun poke the OP I have a concern. hows your neighborhood? gated community? bad area? many stolen cars? crime rate? you know with the Push to start there is common thieves that have made a repeater to pick up the signal of the key fob in the house and send it to a second device and person that is next to to vehicle and allows them to unlock and start the car. Could be them testing it out and your wife spooked them by turning a light on or off in the house?. i'd check security cameras if you have them or a neighbor has them? and see if anyone was near your home and or jeep when it started. Just my opinion.
that seems least likely. I live on a farm, no neighbors at all. Also, to do that at that time, the person would have been visible from the window I was sitting by.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the AJT fob and have been able to start the car accidentally several times with the keys in my pocket while working near the car...

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This actually happened to me once before. I was at a cigar lounge for about 5 hours, went outside and the Jeep was running. It was a somewhat chilly night, when I got in the motor was fully warmed up so I think it had been running for a bit. Where I was seated in the lounge was quite a ways from the Jeep and I had the key fob in my pocket, so I do not believe the key fob started it. I do have the uconnect app on my phone and my watch. Sometimes on my watch one of the recent apps I was using will show up on the screen (I blame errant pressing on my part). I had used the app to start the Jeep the day before. So I just figured it came from my watch. I haven't had an unexplained start since, but it was enough that I installed a carbon monoxide detector near the door from the garage to my house. My house is all electric so I've never had much use for a CO detector, but between the Prius which I could see accidentally leaving it running when I get home and the Jeep that seems to be able to start accidentally I figured it was cheap insurance.
I’m sure you left it running. There are plenty of people who have posted that they’ve done the same.

I would’ve assumed the OP did as well, but the fact that it shut itself off, had the same amount of gas in it and the hood had frost on, don’t make that seem possible. I think the wife is losing it.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Maybe.To me that seems unlikely. My daily driver is a Prius so I'm pretty used to strange shutdown procedures. That car is dead silent when you put it into park. By comparison the JL is noisy and makes all kinds of vibrations. I haven't messed with it to confirm but I'd assume the Jeep would beep at me or something as I walked away from it with the key. When I got back into the Jeep I had to press the brake and the start button to drive it, just like a remote start situation.
Yeah, that is odd. For the record, no it won't beep at you when you walk away. All the people who have reported accidentally leaving theirs running have been upset that it didn't alert them. One guy thought someone had siphoned out all his gas, not realizing what he actually did until he came here to tell the tale.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
7 AM today, wife tells me my Wrangler is running. This is a 2019 Sport, 3.6 AT, no remote start. Has 1700 miles. It was parked overnight in the driveway. The fob was inside. When I went out, it had stopped. The hood was covered in frost and fuel gauge was reading what it had when I parked it last night, so it clearly wasnt running all night. Gear shift was in park. When I tried it, it started normally.

Anyone have any possible explanation?
This actually happened to me last month. Only had the Jeep for a couple of weeks. I went into work meeting for 3 hours. Some guys wanted to see the new Jeep. They were out before me and when I came out they asked if I had remote start. I said no and they said well it was running. Sure enough it was. Did I forget to turn the Jeep off? Possibly? I did have a Dodge Charger with a loud exhaust. The Jeep is much quieter. I do know what happened honestly.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Happens often.....you park and within a minute the Jeep ESS turns off the motor.
You have your mind on other things and you get out of your Jeep and lock it and walk away.
Within a few minutes it starts itself again because the Jeep was NOT turned to the OFF position.
Now in your absence the Jeep is intermittently starting and stopping because it’s not off.
It’s bound to happen to a lot of JL owners.....but once it happens...you will never forget to check that OFF each time you get out. That “Oh-Shit” feeling when you return to your Jeep and find it running will remain in the back of your mind for a long time.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Happens often.....you park and within a minute the Jeep ESS turns off the motor.
You have your mind on other things and you get out of your Jeep and lock it and walk away.
Within a few minutes it starts itself again because the Jeep was NOT turned to the OFF position.
Now in your absence the Jeep is intermittently starting and stopping because it’s not off.
It’s bound to happen to a lot of JL owners.....but once it happens...you will never forget to check that OFF each time you get out. That “Oh-Shit” feeling when you return to your Jeep and find it running will remain in the back of your mind for a long time.
You're saying if you put the Jeep in park ESS will turn it off on you after a few minutes running? I didn't realize that.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
It probably doesn't but don't you think that ESS should make sure the FOB is present to start?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
It probably doesn't but don't you think that ESS should make sure the FOB is present to start?
I think that could be dangerous. I think it only checks the FOB when starting from the off position. That being said, It seems like putting the transmission in park should should disable ESS. Do people with automatics actually shift to park at a stop light? Seems like a bad habit if they do.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Maybe a homeless person got in your car to warm up, noticed the key was in and started it to turn the heat on?
Sponsored