Sponsored

Is fueling the Wrangler.. supposed to be really weird?

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I've found the filler neck on the Wrangler is a little looser (or moves) than other vehicles I've had but not to the point it's a problem. Refueling does seem to be more sensitive and as others have mentioned if the nozzle is not all the way in or sits a little sideways it will kick in the auto shutoff. I have noticed when the tank is full (nozzle shuts off) it is very easy to back flow/spill gas compared to others.
Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I'm sorry to say I have the exact same problem with my 392. I had a thread about this a year ago and back then everyone said it was probably a broken bracket in the filler neck. The dealer didn't find anything so I just dealt with it. There was one guy that had a trick where you put the nozzle in upside down, it tricks the pump into not stopping. However that's bad for a few reasons and required much more work from me.

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Filling up for me is similar. If inserting the pump normal means having the bottom of the pump in the 6 o’clock position, I have to have it in the 2 or 3 o’clock position. Otherwise it keeps clicking off at most pumps. I typically put 17 gallons in. I think the most I’ve put in is 18.something if I drove for awhile on E.
This used to happen to me from time-to-time with several cars I have owned, all different manufacturers. It has to do with the auto-shutoff feature of the gas pump, the pump design and nozzle shape, the shape of the fuel fill tube, how the fuel is delivered into the fill tube, etc. If you watch the video at this link you can see how several factors could lead to fuel being introduced into the return line of the auto-shutoff (splashing inside the tank, splashing inside the vehicles fill tube, backup inside the vehicles fill tube, etc).

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel...n is applied to this,and flips the nozzle off.

I could fix the issue by rotating the pump nozzle approx. 90° left or right with almost 100% success rate. I am guessing there was some issue with the shape of my vehicles fill tube that prevented the gas pump nozzle from being fully inserted which was causing some splashing inside the fill tube itself which sent fuel back up the return pipe of the auto-shutoff. Like others have noted, it never feels like the fuel pump nozzle is ever fully inserted on my Wrangler. It seems like they have different radii or they are incompatible or something. I have had this issue happen once or twice in the 18 months I have owned the vehicle which isn't a big deal. Would I prefer it never happen, yes. If it happened to me at a higher frequency would I be taking it to the dealer, yes.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
the intake tube in mine has a fair bit of play in it as well. I think it’s normal.

I’ve also had trouble getting the pump to “seat” fully at times and that has lead to a lot of the same issue you had.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I’ve had it happen a few times. The upside down nozzle works every time. No looseness in my filler neck.

Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I've found the filler neck on the Wrangler is a little looser (or moves) than other vehicles I've had but not to the point it's a problem. Refueling does seem to be more sensitive and as others have mentioned if the nozzle is not all the way in or sits a little sideways it will kick in the auto shutoff. I have noticed when the tank is full (nozzle shuts off) it is very easy to back flow/spill gas compared to others.
This is pretty much my experience as well, although never had any back flow or gas spill.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
Haven't seen that issue on my 2020 JT, or my wife's 2022 JLU - both have very solid fill tubes, and both accept fuel as fast as the pump delivers it. Never (yet) had any early shut-offs or blowbacks.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Mine is easy and fast. I put it in lock it open and leave it alone.

When it clicks off I don't even bother to top off because it is full. If I aggressively top off I may be able to get .1 gallons in. But that's it. If I aggressive top off in my wife's car I can get about 1.2 gallons.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I'll try to keep an eye out for this flap next time.

Also I have a base model with the bare/exposed gas cap, no fuel door. Don't know if that would effect the flopping factor.
Mine does too but it doesn’t move or wiggle

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...the filler neck is really floppy and loose. The fuel nozzle didn't seem to want to go all the way in and it kept clicking off immediately unless I trickled the gas in.

I figured out eventually I can go full flow if I support the full weight of the nozzle and tip up the filler neck a bit.
That's been my exact experience.

As for Reserve, no, the Jeep doesn't have that distinct feature. Just expect the Low Fuel Warning, in the form of an orange gas pump icon, to illuminate on the dash when there is ~4 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank.

Sponsored

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
I haven't had any issues with my 2022, the 2019 was a bit finicky, but that's someone else's problem now.

I do like to go to the .01 to put $.99 in savings and to also easily tell if someone else is using my card number for gas.

Rod

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Non-issue with ours.........

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The fuel neck moves around a bit. Next time try another pump, since this was your first fill up. Also, after I installed an OEM fuel door on mine, the filler neck doesn't seem to move as much.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I installed the OEM Door and that took some of the 'play' out - it's normal...and I see a variety of differences with fuel nozzles - Costco gives me the most issues.....but I can live with it.....
Sponsored