Weird plastic rattle

jdog1969

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2 door
Yup, I believe know what you are hearing. I had it on both sides. Look at the pic below. The red arrow in the pic points to a plastic covering (I think there are wires under the cover) that can be found on both sides of your JL. Anyway, I had this intermittent plastic ratting sound as you call it on both sides.. I placed a little paper padding at the bottom of each covering and the rattling was history. In the pic you can see the edge of the padding protruding just a tad... unless you look for it you do not see it..

20180618_153826.jpg
THIS. This is exactly the same problem I have with my JLR hard top. It was driving me crazy, even to the point of pulling over to investigate. I never noticed the drain tubes and covers until the second day. I was almost at the point of having somebody drive my Jeep while I sat in the back seat looking for the rattle.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
THIS. This is exactly the same problem I have with my JLR hard top. It was driving me crazy, even to the point of pulling over to investigate. I never noticed the drain tubes and covers until the second day. I was almost at the point of having somebody drive my Jeep while I sat in the back seat looking for the rattle.
@jdog1969

Geeez, I should get a forum commendation as YES, I was the one that stumbled upon/found the source of this annoying rattle.. a rattle that has impacted so many 2 dr. owner's. Actually, forget the commendation, just send a dollar to my PayPal account.. The $ will add up... 8-)

tas2018rubi

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I never would've thought to look there because it was just too easy to notice...and overlook. I ran my hand along the entire passenger-side interior & happened to touch it. I prepped myself for an hour-long project and it took all of 4 minutes. I didn't expect crappy adhesive on the interior of a 45k vehicle. The command strips were also a big help. Many thank-yous.
The same noise was driving me crazy and when I took my hard top off I found the same problem on my 2 door. The plastic cover (both sides) was not sticking to the adhesive strips. I took clamps and secured the plastic trim as shown in the pictures to the adhesive strips. Hopefully it will hold if not, I will use some 3M tape. Really poor design/quality in my opinion.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The same noise was driving me crazy and when I took my hard top off I found the same problem on my 2 door. The plastic cover (both sides) was not sticking to the adhesive strips. I took clamps and secured the plastic trim as shown in the pictures to the adhesive strips. Hopefully it will hold if not, I will use some 3M tape. Really poor design/quality in my opinion.
Agreed... poor design & not something I'd have expected. I was thisclose to taking it to the dealer, but I've learned that you guys/gals here tend to know more than they do. This death rattle is gone thanks to the posters in the forums....Rhinebeck01, check's in the mail :beer:

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
Yup, I used Gorilla Glue on the loose side of the little rubber tabs. Then 3 weeks later, I am using Gorilla Glue on the OTHER side of the little rubber tabs. I should be good-to-go now.

Sponsored

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Yup, I believe know what you are hearing. I had it on both sides. Look at the pic below. The red arrow in the pic points to a plastic covering (I think there are wires under the cover) that can be found on both sides of your JL. Anyway, I had this intermittent plastic ratting sound as you call it on both sides.. I placed a little paper padding at the bottom of each covering and the rattling was history. In the pic you can see the edge of the padding protruding just a tad... unless you look for it you do not see it..

20180618_153826.jpg
I had the same issue on mine. Like you I found the culprit.

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I have an intermittant (but frequent) plastic-sounding rattle coming from the driver’s side—near my ear. Jeep’s are generally rattletraps, so that wouldnt bother me so much, but it’s so close to my ear and pretty loud. I checked the plastic cladding around the pillar, the freedom top, and the shoulder belt anchor, but nothing seems to tame it. Thoughts? Anyone have a similar issue?
Did you find a solution for this? Mine is also right on the driver's side near my ear it sounds like...

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

20180618_153826.jpg
Thanks. Please help me orient myself with this picture. Is this the left side of the hard top, looking forward?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Please help me orient myself with this picture. Is this the left side of the hard top, looking forward?
@Dfisher81
Pic is from back seat of 2dr.
Sitting behind driver, cover is on the left.

You also have the passenger side cover that can rattle also.

I found that the Command strips would not hold and kept coming loose. My final solution which worked well, was to use Goop Flexible Epoxy. It dries clear and holds firmly. Goop Flexible Epoxy will release if need by by hitting it with a hair dryer..

20180618_153826.jpg

CreativeName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I just posted in another new thread about what seems to be a similar creak. Just came back from the dealer and they couldn’t fix it. It’s driving me nuts

Sponsored

CreativeName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I have the same type of rattle going on but it started when I took the hard top off and put the soft top on. The thing is, the noise is not coming from the soft top nor the softop frame. I took the soft top all the way down and removed the frame and the creaking and rattle was still going on. I think it is the plastic trim on the rollbar and the speaker bar. I think I will have Jeep look at this when I bring it in for the first oil change as it is very annoying and driving me nuts. I tried tightening up the screws on the trim pieces but to no good.
Yup. This. This is what I have. Check thread “creaking noise” sounds about what you have.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CreativeName

You have a JLU and that has a rattle at a different location.

This thread / this rattle is on a 2dr. JL Hardtop..........

SuperSixOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Techie
I heard a rattle after taking the hard top off and placing it back on. I left the topside screws out. I didn't think it made much of a difference. But, then I heard the rattle. So I re-seated the hard top and placed ALL the screws back in. Suddenly, the rattle was gone.

The End...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SuperSixOne

You have a JLU and that has a rattle at a different location.

This thread / this rattle is talking ....2dr. JL Hardtop..........

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
checking in on this after 8,000 miles. my foam inserts aren't holding up. looking to see if anyone has a better more permanent fix. can i just take that cover off?
Sponsored