flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed and reinstalled my driver's side taillight, and discovered this nylon, spring-loaded bolt that secures the entire assembly to the body tub. When reinstalling, I just hand tightened it, but it didn't seem to go as far in as compared to when I loosened and removed it. I suspect it has something to do with compressing the spring, but I don't want to tighten it further and risk stripping the torx head. Furthermore, the cam is already locked in position, so I don't think the spring would compress further anyway. Ugh...why couldn't they have just used a normal bolt? Any thoughts or experience with this thing?

Jeep Wrangler JL Weird Bolt IMG_3283.JPG
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@flyer92

That is the stock / OEM, Taillight white spring screw: Part # 06512356AA

It is what it is. You will find it on all JL/JLU's.

Your's looks normal/healthy..

Just snug it up... do not over tighten.

You know that little access hole cover..... the cover you popped off to access the tail lamp removal white screw spring.... There is such a cover on each side of the JL.

Well, if you ever need to replace, the part #'s are hard to find. Apparently the tabs on the covers are fragile ... Here they are if you want just in case:

Left one is part# 6QJ14TX7AA
Right one is part # 6QJ13TX7AA

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
@flyer92

That is the stock / OEM, Taillight white spring screw: Part # 06512356AA

It is what it is. You will find it on all JL/JLU's.

Just snug it up... do not over tighten.

You know that little access hole cover..... the cover you popped off to access the tail lamp removal white screw spring.... There is such a cover on each side of the JL.

Well, if you ever need to replace, the part #'s are hard to find. Apparently the tabs on the covers are fragile ... Here they are if you want just in case:

Left one is part# 6QJ14TX7AA
Right one is part # 6QJ13TX7AA
OK, thanks....I was thinking the same thing, and just snugged it up to keep from damaging it. Even though it isn't an electronics part, I pretty much assume that everything is more difficult to get nowadays, so just taking it easy on this stuff.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't want to tighten it further and risk stripping the torx head.
If you ever need to remove one of those again, you can use a 10mm socket instead of the torx.
Sponsored