Sponsored

Weird plastic rattle

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
checking in on this after 8,000 miles. my foam inserts aren't holding up. looking to see if anyone has a better more permanent fix. can i just take that cover off?
What I did to fix this 2dr. hardtop rattle:

Use the stuff in the pic below.. Buy at Home Depot, amazon, etc.

I have had it hold both covers for about 15,000 miles now. I have no squeal or rattle. No issues

Just press/attach the covers in place. Get them lined up and placed where you want them. The adhesive pads on the back of the covers will hold them in place o you can do the gluing.

It is awkward, trying to get the Goop along the bottom edge of each cover. All you need to do is put a good toothpaste like amount around the bottom of each cover. I used a wood tongue blade, but you can use a small plastic knife. To get the Goop on along the bottom seam of the covers, put the Goop on the plastic knife, then put the knife by the seam and the Goop will oooze downward into the seam.

You have to apply and let dry a few hours.. If you apply and don't let the Goop dry the covers will undoubtedly pull away when driving/moving gthe JL, and the cover bottoms will fasten down in the wrong place.

IF you ever need to remove the covers, (very doubtful) apply heat to the Goop with a hairdryer and it lets right go.

Bill

Doesn't matter if the Goop packaging says for Marine, Household or whatever, it is all the same stuff.

ag-ap-3_7floz-cardedtube-us-72dpi600x600.jpg
Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Awesome. thanks rhinebeck01 bill! Super helpful and i know i won't be the only one looking for a better fix on this as time goes on. My initial foam stickys worked for a while but at 8k miles, i'm looking for something better as i'm rattling and rolling down the road whenever i hit a bump now.

On edit: 4/11/19

What I did to fix this 2dr. hardtop rattle:

Use the stuff in the pic below..

I have had it hold both covers for about 15,000 miles now. I have no squeal or rattle. No issues

Just press/attach the covers in place. Get them lined up and placed where you want them. The adhesive pads on the back of the covers will hold them in place o you can do the gluing.

It is awkward, trying to get the Goop along the bottom edge of each cover. All you need to do is put a good toothpaste like amount around the bottom of each cover. I used a wood tongue blade, but you can use a small plastic knife. To get the Goop on along the bottom seam of the covers, put the Goop on the plastic knife, then put the knife by the seam and the Goop will oooze downward into the seam.

You have to apply and let dry a few hours.. If you apply and don't let the Goop dry the covers will undoubtedly pull away when driving/moving gthe JL, and the cover bottoms will fasten down in the wrong place.

IF you ever need to remove the covers, (very doubtful) apply heat to the Goop with a hairdryer and it lets right go.

Bill

Doesn't matter if the Goop packaging says for Marine, Household or whatever, it is all the same stuff.
Jeep Wrangler JL Weird plastic rattle {filename}

Jeep Creep 87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door Stick
I never would've thought to look there because it was just too easy to notice...and overlook. I ran my hand along the entire passenger-side interior & happened to touch it. I prepped myself for an hour-long project and it took all of 4 minutes. I didn't expect crappy adhesive on the interior of a 45k vehicle. The command strips were also a big help. Many thank-yous.
That was a really good find on your part! Mine started doing it on the passenger side and I just found that cover coming off! What is it covering up? I just soon take them off and throw them away!

Like somebody said before, it began when we took the hard top off for the weekend. Wind must have moved it.

Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
They're covering up wiring going up to the sound bar. Goop or Command Strips will resolve it quickly... I found the Goop to be more secure.

Don't throw 'em out!

Jeep Creep 87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door Stick
With the wiring and these cable trays part of the hard top, what happens when you take your top off? None of the directions and help videos discuss this.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
A lot of great info here! I have soft top, but had a very similar creaking noise that seemed to be coming from the plastic on the roll bar above the driver’s seat and a similar noise on the passenger side, but not as bad.

The dealer actually came through and put in two bolts on top of the roll bar…problem fixed. Apparently it was common for these to be missing. Here is a link to the thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m-driver-side-pillar.13237/page-6#post-487391
Sponsored