Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
If you don’t mind taking a chance and possibly saving $288, try the following:

1. Open the key fob
2. Remove original battery and dispose of it
3. Take apart remainder of the fob to expose the circuitry and remove it from casing
4. Place exterior casing in rice for 24 hours
5. Use compressed air to blow-dry the circuit board
6. Dip a microfiber towel or cotton swap into 90% isopropyl alcohol and gently rub the circuit board. The purpose of this is to remove any impurities from your washer water and soap. Set it aside afterward
7. After the 24 hours are up, put it all back together with a new battery and see what happens.

Not a guarantee to work but it’s your best chance and only risk is spending a couple dollars on rubbing alcohol.
I would also add, Step 3-1/2: While it is totally taken apart, use a hair dryer on low heat setting for a few minutes, to be sure it is really dry.
Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I did the exact same thing happen. I ended up opening the FOB to let dry and went to home depot to get a new battery. Popped it in and now works fine
Done it several times, each time did like @Rubi6mt said, open it up, dry it out, and always a new battery.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
When I bought my Jeep at 1-yr-old, the dealership only had one fob with it. They offered to program another for over $300, but I thought surely I could get it done cheaper than that. I did, but along the way found out that not just any locksmith can program one, as it takes a specific software package they have to buy and load into their programming gear that is very expensive. The locksmith told me this is becoming more and more common as automakers realize they can make a lot of extra money by forcing people to come to the dealerships for such things, forcing many smaller locksmith operations out of that side of the business. I found a genuine MOPAR fob via a third party vendor and provided that to the locksmith who programmed it to my Jeep while I waited. It was still expensive, but I ended up saving nearly $100 over the dealer charge, so worth it. Oh, and stay away from the used fobs on eBay.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Took my fob windsurfing once. Didn't know it was in my pockets until I got out of the ocean. It was soaking wet. I immediately opened it up and dried the inside, the battery was a bit corroded, but after drying it out with some towels it has worked without issues since.
Did you rinse it off with fresh water (ideally distilled water)? Salt water is bad news. If you don't get the salt out, you will have problems. Glad you got it working.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Did you rinse it off with fresh water (ideally distilled water)? Salt water is bad news. If you don't get the salt out, you will have problems. Glad you got it working.
Yes, I forgot to mention, but I did washed it off with fresh water first

Sponsored

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
I called the parts dept and they said they are back ordered, and is weeks before they are allowed to order another. Then after they get that fob, it has to be programmed.
When I bought my new Jeep the dealership lost the second remote. They ordered and programmed a new one which only worked intermittently and stranded me 3 times by not starting the vehicle. :mad:

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I've had to order a spare fob for my previous 2020 JL. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was about $180?
You can get a used fob exactly like yours from Ebay or elsewhere and have it programmed to the Jeep.
What I don't remember is how or what they do about the physical key in the fob. I believe those are laser cut so you would need a new blank. Many dealerships can cut the key from what I was told.

Good luck getting your fob fixed or replaced.

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I found a local mobile guy who can do the fob and programming for $225. Probably some aftermarket copy though.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe

Sponsored

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads