Sponsored

Warn Zeon vs VR evo

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I cut my Zeon 10-S line down to 60ft and carry the other 40ft inside the Jeep. That puts me down 2 wraps on the drum, giving me more pulling power without having to always snatch block it. Most trees or rocks, here in AZ, are usually 50ft-ish away. Plus, less line to spool back up after a pull. I’ve never used it to pull me out, but have used it on other vehicles. So, 10k has been plenty for me.
Sponsored

tactical_gnr

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I cut my Zeon 10-S line down to 60ft and carry the other 40ft inside the Jeep. That puts me down 2 wraps on the drum, giving me more pulling power without having to always snatch block it. Most trees or rocks, here in AZ, are usually 50ft-ish away. Plus, less line to spool back up after a pull. I’ve never used it to pull me out, but have used it on other vehicles. So, 10k has been plenty for me.
This is a great idea. I’m assuming you just looped the cut ends of the line with a fid? You likely just saved me from buying a spare extension line.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great idea. I’m assuming you just looped the cut ends of the line with a fid? You likely just saved me from buying a spare extension line.
Yeah, that simple. I've both read about and seen some videos about recycling good sections of synthetic and steel winch lines. I've personally only done it with steel, but it looks easier with synthetic.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Yup, and bought steel eyelets for the looped ends. Very easy to use a fid and make your own setup.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
When I was looking for a winch, both of these were in the running. I came across a great deal on a used EVO, but when I went to get it one thing changed my mind, the wires/cables sticking out of the side of the control box. I know its only cosmetic, but in my opinion it looks terrible. Might not bother some folks at all, but exposed wires infuriate my OCD.

1630602180860.png

That's an older model VR EVO, the newer model VRs have some improvements and look a little more like the Zeons.

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 8.26.16 AM

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been poking around, but not having any luck finding any mention of what factory aux switch should be used for Warns power interrupt solenoid. Would any of you fine forum members happen to know if it needs one of the higher Amp switches, or would one of the lower Amp ones be sufficient?

Thanks for any direction!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been poking around, but not having any luck finding any mention of what factory aux switch should be used for Warns power interrupt solenoid. Would any of you fine forum members happen to know if it needs one of the higher Amp switches, or would one of the lower Amp ones be sufficient?

Not sure but @Roky just mentioned on another thread running aux switch to power interrupt. Warn May be different though 🤷‍♂️

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...our-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-2691#post-1658276

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Well, I just got a taste of my own medicine! A fellow enabler that shall not be mentioned hoag4147, was nice enough to provide a convenient link to a zeon 10s in stock. All I can say is, I am a cheap and easy whore, and thanks to the unnamed member hoag4147 for pointing that out!

We can just forget about post 19, but 20 stays!

Thanks again to all!
He beat me to it. The Warn Zeon's are readily available in my part of the country. Hell of a rig you are building. Very nice!!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Use the lower amp switches (#3 or #4) with the Warn Power Interrupt Solenoid as it only requires 5 amps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 9.50.25 AM

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
While I did not cut length out of my winch rope, I do have a synthetic rope off another winch that went bad and I carry that and have made it a closed loop on both ends. With the winch rope, the additional rope, a 30 strap and a tree saver, I can easily get about 250 ft of reach if needed for a recovery.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, had a couple of failed attempts to go with the more practical, for my not living offroad Jeep use, VR Evo 10s. Kept putting it in the cart, but just couldn't talk my thumb into hitting the buy now button.

One of my fellow enablers, Hoag4147, was kind enough to share a couple of links to a place that had the Zeon 10s with synthetic line in stock. I kept going back to that site to ogle it. Apparently, the thumb issue is intermittent and the dealer cannot replicate.

Seeing as how this happened about 10 minutes into my Jeep ownership...
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo homer-devil

I pulled the trigger on the Zeon 10s. Ordered it on 9/2 with a promise date of 9/9. A couple days before expecting its arrival, I got an email that their inventory was wrong and they don't expect more until next July. Yeah, no! They were super cool and immediately offered a full refund, which went through in well under 24 hours.

Since both the 8k and 12k winches were mentioned earlier in this thread, I inquired about a confirmation that the zeon 12s was in stock. After a quick yes, I shot over to the Warn site for dimensions of the 10s vs 12s. I remember reading about problems fitting some 12k winches in between the frame rails, where the 10 drips right in. Turns out the 8's, 10's, and 12's are all 24.5" wide. Gave the trigger a 2nd squeeze on 9/13 and it showed up on 9/17. On 9/15 I ordered the Warn winch plate and it was delivered on the 17th with the winch.

After work on Saturday, I installed the winch and plate but ran out of daylight so it will have to wait until this Saturday to get wired up. I have their power interrupt solenoid to run it off of a factory aux switch. I temporarily hooked it up to the main battery to both test it and to spool up the synthetic line. Once the wiring is done, I have to pay out the line and properly respool it under tension.

The install should've gone quicker, but the extra bumper lights and bull bar soaked up some time. The wiring for the lights required some artful rerouting to prevent heat inflicted damage from the winch motor. My bull bar didn't need to be fully removed, but it's chassis reinforcement brackets did. And not wanting to delete them made it a little funner to get a couple of bolts back in with the winch right there. No trimming was needed and no compromises were made. Completely a bolt on affair.

I've had the Factor 55 1" fairlead and Ultrahook with rope guard for a while now, so a slight dent in the pile can be seen when the sun hits it just right. I used the Warn failead backing plate that also has provisions for the front license plate, so I had to remove the Maximus-3 Stealth bracket. It's also angled back, so the plate seems to sit the same as before.

Also worth mentioning: I recently swapped to the front and rear Antirock sway kits. Not having the front disconnect motor to worry about meant that the bumper skid plate was no longer needed. Since I didn't have any paint on hand to coat the cuts, I didn't chop the walrus tusks. My plan was to cut them just under the sway bar bushing brackets. Thankfully I didn't get a chance to do that, because the Warn winch plate uses the 2 bolts on the inside of each tusk. With the plate reinforcements installed, only a 1/2" of tusk hangs lower than them. Almost not worth the cutting.

I never take pics during installs, because of time restraints, but here's a couple of before and after shots...
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 20210918_141721
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 20210918_141703
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 20210920_101429
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 20210920_101343_resized

The winch sits so low that only the contactor housing sits above it, which is almost completely hidden by the center LP4's. Any closer pics just show some black aluminum and plastic in front of the grill, so I didn't even bother snapping them.

Didn't mean to ramble on, but wanted to tie a bow on this thread. Thank you very much, to those who chimed in and to everyone on this forum who makes this such a great community! And a special thanks to hoag4147, for providing the links and helping me spend some money! :fist bump:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Right on Mike!! You have the dream rig going on. I see you are not doing the usual slap on 37" and hope it don't break. Everything about your rig from axles to winch looks very well thought out and researched.

I think members here would be wise to take your cue and think out their builds. I'm not knocking anyone for their budget. But when I see spacers and huge wheeled beasts I'm thinking how tough it would be broken down on a harsh trail.
Sponsored