Waiting for diesel?

2104Campos

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Accord
It was just announced that the new Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel engines will not be available till the 2019 is it worth waiting? Also how much will this engine most likely cost?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It was just announced that the new Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel engines will not be available till the 2019 is it worth waiting? Also how much will this engine most likely cost?
Lol. Nobody really know how much the currently available engines cost. It would be wild speculation to guess how much the diesel will set you back.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
I’m going to wait, because I will tow with my rig. I’d guess at least 5k markup over the gasser.

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
It will not handle any more weight with the diesel, although performance will improve.
If anything it might be less due to extra weight, but that doesn’t really tell the whole story.

jugern0t

First Name
anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ
not if it doesn't come in manual... and certainly if it doesn't come with 2 doors...

MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
Once you have owned a diesel and get a taste of that low-end pulling power, it is hard to go back to gas. Like the notion of eTouque but want something less complex. For the Jeep JL, I think it is a perfect solution for an Overland application where payload and towing may be at max.

I have driven my Golf TDI at max payload (treated it like an SUV many times) and the revs stay low and the pulling power was smooth and easy. My only concern will be long-term emission compliance. Regeneration would happen on the highway or for about 30 minutes after the car was parked. VW warned to not let regeneration occur in a parked garage near combustibles.

My BMW ActiveHybrid3 worked similarly to the eTorque in that the battery served as a short-term boost function and provided supplemental power and torque. However, it was overly complex and would never want it out of warranty.

Sponsored

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
I have a TJ and a daily driver VW Golf TDI (Turbo Diesel). The TDI sees 50 MPG highway, has 300,000 miles, and has so many less issues than my Jeep. I basically just change the oil every 10k miles, replace the brakes when they wear, timing belt every 100,000 miles, and other misc. parts as needed.

I go through vehicles very quickly (Usually 1-2 years max before I get bored of a vehicle), but have had this VW (My only VW and only diesel) since February 2014. I'm hooked on diesel & cannot wait for the JLU diesel to be available for orders! I honestly feel having a diesel Wrangler, that sees a "discussed" 33 MPG highway, is the absolutely perfect road trip vehicle.

-Rick

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
that sees a "discussed" 33 MPG highway
Yeah... discussed... :giggle:

Did this discussion involve drafting/tailgating Tractor-Trailers?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Just saw a Q&A video with teh jeep folks posted on another thread that diesel won't be available until 2019 *Calendar Year*.

Just an FYI.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, saw that too on a few of the review videos too. I’m assuming they’re gonna launch it when the JT launches, but I suspect the engine itself arrives in the 2019 MY RAM 1500 refresh first, so we should get an early glimpse at it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Yep I'll be waiting for a two door diesel, or at least I think I'll be able to lol.
Sponsored