AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Hello
This has been on my mind. So I thought I’d ask for those who love their cars n trucks and pay attention to everything. Every time maybe I’m being a bit too worried or exaggerated thought process !! BUT. Any of you hear a … light knock a thud of some sort when you start your diesel motor ? Right when it cranks a knock. One time knock.? But it’s not every time. Sometimes on first start. Again this might be a normal diesel start noise I’m first time owner of a diesel truck maybe I’m over thinking. Everything runs fine. No issues
Sponsored

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
I haven’t noticed. You have a brand new vehicle that is still under warranty. Don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy the amazing jeep

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Diesel engines used to be described as sounding like ball bearings rattling in a coffee can. While they've come a long way in NVH mitigation, they still retain some of that clattery DNA. It's normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AC77

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
👍👍

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
BTW I love the rattle. They did manage to mask most of it in the Ram Ecodiesel.

Sponsored

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Hello
This has been on my mind. So I thought I’d ask for those who love their cars n trucks and pay attention to everything. Every time maybe I’m being a bit too worried or exaggerated thought process !! BUT. Any of you hear a … light knock a thud of some sort when you start your diesel motor ? Right when it cranks a knock. One time knock.? But it’s not every time. Sometimes on first start. Again this might be a normal diesel start noise I’m first time owner of a diesel truck maybe I’m over thinking. Everything runs fine. No issues
Yes, sounds like the fuel pump getting going to me. It feels like I'm sitting inside Apollo 13 before take off...lol
Sort of like priming it after fuel filter replacement. My opinion
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm at 9300 miles so far.
Best & Most Fun Engine I've ever driven

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Hello
Any of you hear a … light knock a thud of some sort when you start your diesel motor ? Right when it cranks a knock. One time knock.? But it’s not every time. Sometimes on first start. Everything runs fine. No issues
Yes! This exact noise I’ve noticed maybe less than 10 times. It’s a loud asf quick knock. I’m glad someone else brought it up.

It happens so in frequently that I knew it would be near impossible to replicate for a tech.

OP
OP
AC77

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yea. It’s slightly getting less as the diesel block breaks in further
I’ll keep an eye and ear on it

ssrgeoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2022 JLURD
Funny, I was going to ask this same question. Its a thud and only happens every now and then. Almost 9k on the clock and seems to be okay.

OP
OP
AC77

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve noticed it thinking on when it happens it’s been when firing up if the truck has been sitting for hours. Like over night. When warm. ie driving around Stop here n there. It doesn’t do it … my brother has a 21 ram 3500 Cummins and he said not to worry as it’s a normal sound of a Diesel engine.

Sponsored

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Heard it again last night but it wasn't on my Jeep. The loud knock came from a JL Rubicon parked next to me that started up while I was standing next to it. This other Jeep was NOT a diesel and looked/sounded like the 3.6V6. Also, the noise was way louder than I think mine is when it happens. The timing of the noise makes me think it's the starter drive pinion slamming back into the starter because it happens almost instantaneously with the engine starting to run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AC77

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation