Sponsored

Verified: Remote Proximity Keyless Entry & Push Button Start for JL / JLU Wrangler

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Question. I've read the online owner's manual page 34. I'm new to passive entry. The manual states when the key fob is within 5 feet of the door handle you can use passive entry if activated (you have option to turn off the system completely). You also have option to only unlock driver's door or all doors when opening the driver's door. So far so good. Now comes the passenger door. Manual states it works the sane BUT when the passenger door is unlocked ALL doors are unlocked. There is no option to only have it unlock the passenger door.

Here's my question. If the key fob is next to the driver's door handle as you are getting into the driver's side, is the key fob close enough to the passenger door handle to allow someone to open the passenger side door against your will? Does the key fob transmit from one side to the other or does the metal of the doors block the RF signal?

I see this as a serious safey concern if anyone can walk up to your vehicle and open the passenger door at the same time you are opening the driver door.
Sponsored

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Not to worry. The key has to be 5 feet from the door handle so it is too far from the other side even on a smaller vehicle like a Renegade or Compass to work. Additionally the proximity doesn't work if the key is inside the vehicle so even when you get in the drivers door, they can't then come up to the vehicle, grab the handle and open it up. All is safe.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
For me I am so excited about this feature. One of the reasons the wife won’t upgrade from GC to Wrangler.

Keyless entry/push start so her keys can remain buried in the abyss purse somewhere and back up camera with sensors because the rear visibility is so bad and she works in a school.

Those alone are allowing us to trade from GC to Wrangler and so excited.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm waiting to learn what features will be standard/optional for sport vs sahara vs rubi.

We have remote key entry, passive entry and remote start.

Same with power windiws. Do base sport models now get power windows and locks standard? JK required upgrade to S package.

It appears all models include push button start, no more key ignition, which leads me to believe even base sport will get remote entry standard with possible passive entry optional.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Proximity keys are good for convenience but get ready to deal with driving away without the keys and unable to start again or not being able to find your keys after parking. I've had this happen with my wife's Audi several times. For the Jeep I bet we'll see plenty of people losing or unable to find their keys while off roading and the Jeep is still running. Once that engine gets turned off you're screwed.
any rentals I've had with that feature....I just keep the keys in my pocket. Solves that issue pretty easily.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Am I the only one who only carries one key? My house door is a pin pad like my office.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Have those that have ordered one made sure the GXD code is on your order? Current order information hasn't confirmed this in any package so I made sure it was forced onto the order. There is a theory that the proximity feature will be standalone and not in a package. I hope this is not true since it seems stupid to have push button but not at least include this on a Rubi and Sahara as a default thing.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Have those that have ordered one made sure the GXD code is on your order? Current order information hasn't confirmed this in any package so I made sure it was forced onto the order. There is a theory that the proximity feature will be standalone and not in a package. I hope this is not true since it seems stupid to have push button but not at least include this on a Rubi and Sahara as a default thing.
It wasn't available when I ordered, so no GXD in mine. I'm only holding out hope that it is in a package. Otherwise, I'm SOL on this one. That's ok. Of all the things I could be SOL on with this thing, that one is minor.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't available when I ordered, so no GXD in mine. I'm only holding out hope that it is in a package. Otherwise, I'm SOL on this one. That's ok. Of all the things I could be SOL on with this thing, that one is minor.
Hopefully it will just be on there but I was able to add it even after I had a VIN number assigned. The dealer couldn't modify it but the rep was able to add it. The rep also removed Alpine from the order since he confirmed the infotainment system includes all those features of the Alpine option.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully it will just be on there but I was able to add it even after I had a VIN number assigned. The dealer couldn't modify it but the rep was able to add it. The rep also removed Alpine from the order since he confirmed the infotainment system includes all those features of the Alpine option.
How did you find the rep? My dealer is too protective to let me know how to contact them. Do you have a phone number? Were you in D1? I ordered November 2 and am in D1 status, so it might not be able to be changed.

Sponsored

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How did you find the rep? My dealer is too protective to let me know how to contact them. Do you have a phone number?
I didn't contact him directly. The sales manager contacted him for me and they took care of it and sent me the updated order. I've seen other posts that had orders past D1 still get modifications done via the rep. If you can get the dealer to talk to them for you it seems like they have some capability to make changes. Obviously this varies on the friendliness and want to help by your dealer.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
On Wednesday I am going to ask my sales rep to see if he can add proximity entry one more time. I asked last week and he wasn't able to add it.

Truluc77

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee and JL on order
On Wednesday I am going to ask my sales rep to see if he can add proximity entry one more time. I asked last week and he wasn't able to add it.
My dealer had it added to my order and also changed my color. He wasn't able to make the change in the system, so he emailed the "VOIM Team" at FCA and they took care if it. Took them about 3 days to make the change, but received the confirmation from them this AM. Hope that helps.

Oceanjeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk 13
I think it's a cool feature. The only drawback is that it's easily hack-able. Not sure if I will order the option or not.
Not really. They are most likely to be dirrectly paired. They are encrypted also. And oly way of hacking em would be close by. Its

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Not really. They are most likely to be dirrectly paired. They are encrypted also. And oly way of hacking em would be close by. Its
This is gonna sound odd, but I never said that. Atleast I have no recollection of it anyways. It doesn't make sense. I have used cars with it before and I love it. Maybe I meant to leave that comment in a different thread? I just went back and deleted it... So strange.
Sponsored