First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Just dropped off my 1 month old JLUS at the dealer's for a couple of minor cosmetic issues. So far I have 1,100 miles on it and have been enjoying it immensely. My only minor mechanical issue is the common light steering problem at highway speeds, but even that is calming down with the added miles. It's been nice getting back to a manual transmission again, and I haven't had any major problems with it. Like others have reported, the clutch starts grabbing after the pedal is let out about two-thirds of the way, and torque picks up at around 2,000 rpm.

The loaner Jeep the dealer gave me drives almost completely differently, though, and this is what I'd like your input on. Like mine, it's a Sport S with a manual, and judging by the destination fee on the sticker ($1,195), it's an earlier production model. Nonetheless, it almost feels like a sports car compared to mine. The clutch begins engaging almost immediately after the pedal comes off the floor, eliminating the "guess work" in coordinating accelerator pressure. The shifter is lighter, quicker and more precise than mine, and the engine is more responsive, accelerating easily from just a little more than 1,000 rpm without stuttering.

The difference is so great, I'd be tempted to swap out the loaner for mine, despite the color and top difference. It's quicker, more responsive, easier, smoother, and much more fun to drive.

I wasn't dissatisfied with my Jeep until I drove this loaner. The few minor quibbles I had mirrored the experience and observations of other forum members. Now that I've driven this loaner, though, I have a sense of what I may be missing.

So - Is this much variation between vehicles normal? Might there be something off with mine that I can mention to the dealer? At a minimum, can the clutch be adjusted to engage closer to the floor? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance.

Howard
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Just dropped off my 1 month old JLUS at the dealer's for a couple of minor cosmetic issues. So far I have 1,100 miles on it and have been enjoying it immensely. My only minor mechanical issue is the common light steering problem at highway speeds, but even that is calming down with the added miles. It's been nice getting back to a manual transmission again, and I haven't had any major problems with it. Like others have reported, the clutch starts grabbing after the pedal is let out about two-thirds of the way, and torque picks up at around 2,000 rpm.

The loaner Jeep the dealer gave me drives almost completely differently, though, and this is what I'd like your input on. Like mine, it's a Sport S with a manual, and judging by the destination fee on the sticker ($1,195), it's an earlier production model. Nonetheless, it almost feels like a sports car compared to mine. The clutch begins engaging almost immediately after the pedal comes off the floor, eliminating the "guess work" in coordinating accelerator pressure. The shifter is lighter, quicker and more precise than mine, and the engine is more responsive, accelerating easily from just a little more than 1,000 rpm without stuttering.

The difference is so great, I'd be tempted to swap out the loaner for mine, despite the color and top difference. It's quicker, more responsive, easier, smoother, and much more fun to drive.

I wasn't dissatisfied with my Jeep until I drove this loaner. The few minor quibbles I had mirrored the experience and observations of other forum members. Now that I've driven this loaner, though, I have a sense of what I may be missing.

So - Is this much variation between vehicles normal? Might there be something off with mine that I can mention to the dealer? At a minimum, can the clutch be adjusted to engage closer to the floor? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance.

Howard
Very interesting. There must be differences, because I feel like I have one of the good ones like your loaner. I don’t have any of the issues some people report about being difficult to fast shift at high RPMs or the clutch feeling weird, etc. Mine runs like a champ and notice I got a VW GTI and a BMW m/t to compare. Sure is different than those but not worse in any way. I abuse mine from 0 to 70 and its a pleasure.
Trade it.

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Trans Am, 16 Colorado, 17 Camaro SS 1le, 18 punk’n Rubi
My clutch engagement is defineatly crunchy. It’s also has a lot of variation to how “crunchy” it feels from day to day, (I drive approx. 100-200 miles a day). I’m also afraid I have a bad synchro because I sometimes get a small but noticeable chatter from 3-2 downshifts like when entering a slow turn. Have not heard it when I double clutch. Just keeping an eye on these issues for now for fear of dealer making it worse since overall it’s doing fine. (7k miles)

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
My JLUR is crunchy / gritty as well. 700 miles on it. It’s been that way (I think) since I picked it up after it was built. The one I test drove months ago prior to ordering I recalled being much smoother, but I wasn’t 100% sure. I stopped by the dealer today to test drive another just to compare and there was a huge difference. Granted all they had was a sport in a manual and not a Rubicon, but the clutch pedal had no grit to it and seemed to be more predictable as you mentioned. I scheduled an appointment for next week to get it checked out.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My JLUR is crunchy / gritty as well. 700 miles on it. It’s been that way (I think) since I picked it up after it was built. The one I test drove months ago prior to ordering I recalled being much smoother, but I wasn’t 100% sure. I stopped by the dealer today to test drive another just to compare and there was a huge difference. Granted all they had was a sport in a manual and not a Rubicon, but the clutch pedal had no grit to it and seemed to be more predictable as you mentioned. I scheduled an appointment for next week to get it checked out.
Was your problem fixed? Anything to do with transmission fluid?

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My Jeep has the same problem. The loaners and new ones on the lot are AWESOME. Mine is terrible. It is VERY difficult to feel where the clutch engages / disengages. It is even an issue on highway. I have been working with the dealers here in South Carolina. Entire CLutch, Brake, and Gas Pedal assembly was changed out (NO Change). A different dealer changed the Master/Slave was changed out and it was good for a few days, but now the problem is back. I think there is a hydraulic issue somewhere in the system.
Sponsored