Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

JLUR w 6MT. I understand there is a recall/replacement in the works, w timing still unknown. I've had several instances of the burnt clutch smell when lightly feathering w little throttle input when on a steeper incline. I've driven manual for 25+ years.

My gut tells me the recall will replace questionable parts with something cheap/low quality. I'd rather spend some for a higher quality clutch that I can be confident in. All I found was Centerforce, but very little in terms of reviews/quality.

Any feedback would be great!
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
JLUR w 6MT. I understand there is a recall/replacement in the works, w timing still unknown. I've had several instances of the burnt clutch smell when lightly feathering w little throttle input when on a steeper incline. I've driven manual for 25+ years.

My gut tells me the recall will replace questionable parts with something cheap/low quality. I'd rather spend some for a higher quality clutch that I can be confident in. All I found was Centerforce, but very little in terms of reviews/quality.

Any feedback would be great!
I've only seen one person on here touting the Centerforce clutch in their JL and he worked with them to develop it and likely got it for a fraction of retail cost. I'd like one too...but can't justify shelling out $3k for an aftermarket clutch with labor to replace the stock clutch if it still works. I doubt FCA is going to offer reimbursement/warranty to manual JL owners if we choose to have an aftermarket clutch installed in lieu of having them install their OEM "solution" when it's available.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the dealership would agree to install the Centerforce clutch/pp/flywheel as part of the recall?

I'd actually rather have a SPEC than centerforce.. maybe they'll eventually make one.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I wonder if the dealership would agree to install the Centerforce clutch/pp/flywheel as part of the recall?

I'd actually rather have a SPEC than centerforce.. maybe they'll eventually make one.
Given FCA is likely looking to minimize cost, I imagine only a small handful of jeeps will be getting new clutches...more likely that they relocate some wiring and "inspect" for a burning smell.

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I wouldn't expect the dealership to install an aftermarket clutch. My OEM is junk - I just reversed up my driveway at a few mph and could smell burnt clutch. I'll ring the dealership to see what my options are through them - although I'm not expecting much, even less considering I've significantly modified my Jeep (none power related) - but any excuse is all they need.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I wouldn't expect the dealership to install an aftermarket clutch. My OEM is junk - I just reversed up my driveway at a few mph and could smell burnt clutch. I'll ring the dealership to see what my options are through them - although I'm not expecting much, even less considering I've significantly modified my Jeep (none power related) - but any excuse is all they need.
How many miles are on your jeep? I believe the clutch is only under warranty for 5k miles. I talked with a local dealer...said all dealers are waiting for FCA to communicate the recall "fix". Another poster on here had the dealer install a new OEM clutch on their JL for $2800.:lipssealed:

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

11k miles on mine. That's exactly my concern - if they just throw another OEM clutch in w no improvements/durability over the current OEM its just kicking the problem down the field. In that case, I'd rather just invest in a more robust clutch that I don't have to worry about. I do trails that are fairly remote and the last thing I want is to be stranded.....

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the clutch is only under warranty for 5k miles.
Oh that's lovely.. I have an extended (bumper to bumper) 125k mile warranty with my lienholder. Hopefully it covers these paper clutches.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a Centerforce. Hopefully I'll get it in the next few weeks. Going to install myself and I'll update.
PLEASE update... thanks!!

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Oh that's lovely.. I have an extended (bumper to bumper) 125k mile warranty with my lienholder. Hopefully it covers these paper clutches.
Clutches are viewed similiar to brakes and are not included in the 3 yr/36k miles FCA bumper to bumper warranty.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a feeling it was a 'wear' item.

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Ordered Centerforce as well and should have in next week - will update as well. Along w some other goodies...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anxiously awaiting the centerforce upgrades...

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Once you have heated the clutch disc enough to smell it, it is glazed from the binding resins "boiling" to the surface, and it will no longer hold as much torque. I don't know if South Bend Clutch has gone into Jeep clutches, but that is who I would choose, by far.
Sponsored