Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Hey fellas,

new here, just got a 2 door rubicon and it’s a Manual trans. Is it me oris it hard to get it into first gear it keeps slipping into reverse for me
Sponsored

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I
Hey fellas,

new here, just got a 2 door rubicon and it’s a Manual trans. Is it me oris it hard to get it into first gear it keeps slipping into reverse for me
I have the same set up. How can it slip into reverse? You have to pull up on the boot to go into reverse. Mine is butter smooth and works perfect.

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I

I have the same set up. How can it slip into reverse? You have to pull up on the boot to go into reverse. Mine is butter smooth and works perfect.
So I only pull the tab up on the knob when I want to go into reverse? Of just shifting regular I just clutch and shift ?

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I don’t have this problem. Don’t pull up on the red button on boot if you don’t want to go into reverse.

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
So I only pull the tab up on the knob when I want to go into reverse? Of just shifting regular I just clutch and shift ?
Correct, if you want to drive in first just shift normally without pressing anything. If you want to go in reverse than pull up on red button.

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Correct, if you want to drive in first just shift normally without pressing anything. If you want to go in reverse than pull up on red button.
Ok ok, I got it! I’m gonna check it out tomrorow. Thanks everyone!

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
You’ll know you pulled up on the red button correctly if the backup camera turns on as soon as you put it in reverse. Enjoy your new ride. It’s the best manual I’ve driven, but it had a learning curve to get the clutch release just right.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Pulling up on the red collar around the shaft of the shifter allows you to move the shifter further to the left, where reverse gear is located. It serves no other function.

It's sole function is to *prevent* you from accidentally going into reverse. Put another way; with the collar down, the furthest you can move the shifter to the left sets you up for first gear.

When shifting first through sixth; as others have said, leave the collar be and just shift normally. It should be impossible to accidentally get it in reverse.

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
You’ll know you pulled up on the red button correctly if the backup camera turns on as soon as you put it in reverse. Enjoy your new ride. It’s the best manual I’ve driven, but it had a learning curve to get the clutch release just right.
Amazing ! Thanks for the simple yet important info!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Pulling up on the red collar around the shaft of the shifter allows you to move the shifter further to the left, where reverse gear is located. It serves no other function.

It's sole function is to *prevent* you from accidentally going into reverse. Put another way; with the collar down, the furthest you can move the shifter to the left sets you up for first gear.

When shifting first through sixth; as others have said, leave the collar be and just shift normally. It should be impossible to accidentally get it in reverse.
Amazing, thank you so much needed info. I know I haven't driven a stick in a few years but I was like I missing something

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Make sure you check the recall notices on against your VIN# too - there have been two clutch recalls on the JL clutch in the last year or so...

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon

That was the trick tried the info I got form everyone and it worked how it should!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Man, you ain't just whistlin' Dixie. This thing is without a single doubt the most buttery smooth and tight manual I've ever driven. The gearbox is just like raw joy machined out of metal. Everything about it is marvelous and wonderful. Yet I stalled the damn thing probably eight times today, and looked like a blithering imbecile who didn't know how to drive a stick.

I have a million miles with a stick. I've driven high end cars, low end cars, pickup trucks, and 18-wheelers, but nothing has ever made me look like more of a moron than my shiny new Jeep.

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
I still struggle with the clutch feel after 3000 miles!! Especially with the radio up..
Sponsored