V6 versus 2.0L V4 updates?

NAZJeeper

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
First of all, yes I did a bunch of searches and the newest thread is from last year (let me know if that is incorrect :)

As I get ready ( a week away hopefully) to pull the trigger on a new (used) JL, I keep going back and forth...at first I wanted the 2L because of the mpg and the extra pep, but saw a mention (forget where) that they were fussy and watch out for Turbos and all that. So the I started looking at only the 3.6 Pentastar, after all I've had 2 of them with few issues...well one blew a cylinder but got fixed under warranty.......

Question is - all things being equal, are they both worth having? Does the newer 2L have enough miles on it (100k+) to really form an opinion yet? Should I just get the Jeep that best fits my criteria and say to heck with the engine?

TIA and let me know if this info is somewhere else.....
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
50k on my 2.0T with zero issues. Great engine/transmission combo. The ZF8 is top notch and they are paired perfectly. In a 2 door the turbo is a rocket off the line and great off road with a really usable torque curve.

ForgottenTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Sarge Green JLU Willys
I second what speed331 says about off the line launches. My wifeā€™s 2 door is a freaking hoot to drive. My 4 door with the turbo is still a blast but of course itā€™s bigger and heavier. It doesnā€™t have that go kart feeling.

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
The 2.0 is a I4, not a V4.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NAZJeeper

NAZJeeper

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
Reactions: J0E

jayjc08

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Door
I'd also like to hear from long term (100k+) 2.0L turbo owners. Any out there?

Sponsored

Whiskeyxr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
our jluw is an xr with the 2.0. 12k miles and GREAT so far. Hope it stays that way. Coworker has jlur with 2.0 with 100k. Only problem was on oil leak early on and that was covered. His was the deciding factor for our choice. We have seen a few cash back offers recently but they are different depending on location. Good luck with your choice whichever way you go

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Asking for anecdotes won't give you accurate data. According to my nephew who has written analytic software for used auto loan companies, they're both very reliable, although most data is less than 80K miles. I disagree with ChatGPT on the 3.6 better off-road if you have an AT. Here's what she says:

Both the 2.0 turbo and the 3.6 engines available for the Jeep JL Wrangler have their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The best engine for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.

The 2.0 turbo engine offers more power and torque than the 3.6 engine, with 270 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque compared to the 3.6's 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. It also has a better fuel economy, with an estimated 23 mpg combined compared to the 3.6's estimated 20 mpg combined.

However, the 3.6 engine has been used in Jeeps for many years and has a proven track record of reliability. It also offers a smoother and more traditional driving experience, which may be preferred by some drivers.

If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, the 3.6 engine may be the better choice, as it has a wider power band and is better suited for low-speed crawling. However, if you value power and fuel efficiency, the 2.0 turbo engine may be a better option.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a 122,583 on my 2.0 with e-torque. At 16,934 I got the blue screen of death on the radio instead of the backup camera that they had to fix with a computer update and at 36,349 I had a hose clamp that needed to be tightened on my water pump. It has got hot a couple of times pulling a trailer up steep grades on the freeway but has never overheated completely. It has a 2" lift and 37's and is an auto. It is as fast as I'll ever need it off the line and does great off road. I've had it all over Moab and never had so much as a glitch out of that engine/tranny combo.
Sponsored

Last edited: