First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

I'm going down to Uwharrie this weekend for the day. I have a stock Sport with Rubicon wheels that I'm driving. Anyone been down recently that went on Dickey Bell have any feedback? I know to steer clear of Daniel but I'm wondering how I'll do on Dickey. I've been on a few moderate trails recently but nothing too hardcore.
Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In the North Carolina Roll Call thread under regions there are a group of guys who just went this past weekend and did that exact trail. They included pics as well and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer all of your questions.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with the standard approach and do Rocky Mountain loop and backside of Daniel and see how you feel from there. the Front side of Daniel is the hard part, to do the back side you would make the turn off the rocky mountain loop connection and turn around when you get to the top of the hill. for the most part keeping to the right is the easier path.

You will be able to do Dickey if you stay out of the ruts and head to the right hand side after where the V used to be. If you are alone keep in mind Dutch John has a low spot with hill climbs on both sides.

Don't do daniel on 33's currently, here is me from last weekend on 40s. ( I put mysled in the rut on purpose, climing that wall is hell)
2019-08-03 (1).jpeg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey all,

I'm going down to Uwharrie this weekend for the day. I have a stock Sport with Rubicon wheels that I'm driving. Anyone been down recently that went on Dickey Bell have any feedback? I know to steer clear of Daniel but I'm wondering how I'll do on Dickey. I've been on a few moderate trails recently but nothing too hardcore.
Yes we do Dickey Bell with stock and 33s. A buddy did it in his Sahara with stock tires. It's a badge trail so it's worth it.

The trail is actually easy except for the rock garden. There is a spot where you can get high-centered if you aren't careful. Other than that one spot you don't need clearance.

I probably won't go back this weekend but if you want company than PM me. We have a text group and I can put the word out.

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes we do Dickey Bell with stock and 33s. A buddy did it in his Sahara with stock tires. It's a badge trail so it's worth it.

The trail is actually easy except for the rock garden. There is a spot where you can get high-centered if you aren't careful. Other than that one spot you don't need clearance.

I probably won't go back this weekend but if you want company than PM me. We have a text group and I can put the word out.
Looks like the right side (looking uphill) is the better path from what I can gather. I feel a bit more confident now on 33s, just need a good line for the rock garden.
I'll looking at maybe Monday, 8/12 for an all day ride. I'll PM you if you think you may be around.
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Looks like the right side (looking uphill) is the better path from what I can gather. I feel a bit more confident now on 33s, just need a good line for the rock garden.
I'll looking at maybe Monday, 8/12 for an all day ride. I'll PM you if you think you may be around.
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.
Well I have always run it downhill (East to West), and always run the line on the left looking downhill (so i think the same one). Last time one of our crew ran the line on the right and it seemed simpler but he was in a lifted 2-door.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Click on teh link below in my info and follow the NC roll call thread, tons of info over there to help you and join on trial runs.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did it! Did Dickey Bell. It was intimidating but we found a good line and conquered it. So stoked!

VideoCapture_20190812-210425.jpg

VideoCapture_20190812-210500.jpg

VideoCapture_20190812-210515.jpg
NICE! Great job!
Did you happen to take the bypass all the way to the left (if you are going up) or go up the rock garden portion? Just curious to know how much scraping you did and I bet others do too :) We have yet to go up it, have only gone down. A JK snapped an axle 3 weeks ago going up it. He must have really been screwing around to do that.
You have Rubi 33s do you also have the suspension?

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
NICE! Great job!
Did you happen to take the bypass all the way to the left (if you are going up) or go up the rock garden portion? Just curious to know how much scraping you did and I bet others do too :) We have yet to go up it, have only gone down. A JK snapped an axle 3 weeks ago going up it. He must have really been screwing around to do that.
The last pic makes it look like the bypass. We’ve gotta run it up next time. We need to work for it next time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NICE! Great job!
You have Rubi 33s do you also have the suspension?[/QUOT
NICE! Great job!
Went all the way left. Even that was gnarly man. Didn't scrape there but did over every damn man-made stupid speed bump things.
Only Rubicon wheels...

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Went all the way left. Even that was gnarly man. Didn't scrape there but did over every damn man-made stupid speed bump things.
Only Rubicon wheels...
Those damn erosion mounds are horrible. Last time I was there, Rocky Mountain Loop was miserable and I’m on 315s.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hated those. Totally made the ride much longer than it should have.
OK, so the Mrs. and I aren't the only ones. I don't remember them being like that last year. We each have 2" lift and 33s and practically every freaking hump we scraped. I started going to the sides of them or hitting them at a slight angle.

We are planning a trip Sunday assuming there isn't massive rain storms just before then. I got a REAL bad taste in my mouth riding the trails in the rain, it was actually dangerous at times since it was fresh mud and the first inch of it was so slick.

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so the Mrs. and I aren't the only ones. I don't remember them being like that last year. We each have 2" lift and 33s and practically every freaking hump we scraped. I started going to the sides of them or hitting them at a slight angle.

We are planning a trip Sunday assuming there isn't massive rain storms just before then. I got a REAL bad taste in my mouth riding the trails in the rain, it was actually dangerous at times since it was fresh mud and the first inch of it was so slick.
Every tree next to the trail probably has a story about driving when slick. If it rained, it would be a nightmare in my opinion.
Usually in a OHV park, I'd see a ton of Jeeps and four wheelers but I was there Monday for 3.5 hours and didn't see a single soul.
Quite weird...
Sponsored