drewloving

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Two silly questions....

1. For tire rotations, should the full size spare be rotated into use? (I remember this diagram from drivers ed about 100 years ago...)
2. If not, is there a detrimental UV impact to the spare that is not covered, or anything that should be done to minimize UV impact? I'm fortunate that my BLUE is garaged at home and work so I don't have any significant exposure to the sun. Just curious for those that don't garage their Jeeps.
Sponsored

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
You should always put the spare into the rotation. That way, in the future if and when you need to use the spare, your Jeep isn't unbalanced with 3 worn down tires and a brand new tire with full thread, which can lead to other issues over prolonged use.

Plus it helps combat UV deterioration and dry rot.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Two silly questions....

1. For tire rotations, should the full size spare be rotated into use? (I remember this diagram from drivers ed about 100 years ago...)
2. If not, is there a detrimental UV impact to the spare that is not covered, or anything that should be done to minimize UV impact? I'm fortunate that my BLUE is garaged at home and work so I don't have any significant exposure to the sun. Just curious for those that don't garage their Jeeps.
UV impact on the spare is not much different than the in-use tires. With the fenders as high as they are, the in-use tires are almost as exposed as the spare. But, yes, definitely include the spare in the tire rotation.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
You should always put the spare into the rotation. That way, in the future if and when you need to use the spare, your Jeep isn't unbalanced with 3 worn down tires and a brand new tire with full thread, which can lead to other issues over prolonged use.
Bingo!

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I used to include the spare in the rotation, but I like the look of a brand new tire on the back. That and when it's time to buy new tires, you only need 4 instead of 5.
A full size spare with brand new tread is still better than a donut wheel all the other cars come with (if they even come with a spare at all).

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I used to include the spare in the rotation, but I like the look of a brand new tire on the back. That and when it's time to buy new tires, you only need 4 instead of 5.
A full size spare with brand new tread is still better than a donut wheel all the other cars come with (if they even come with a spare at all).
It’s important to remember that any tire has a “shelf life”. My background in enthusiast vehicles isn’t with Wranglers, but with the badge I am most famialiar with, six years is the hard limit when a tire becomes aged out- no matter how perfect the tire “looks” on the outside.

Tires are one of the most important safety features on any vehicle. Now that tires are clearly marked with a date of manufacture, keeping a spare for years and years will eventually send a brand new tire to the trash pile, no matter what.

Use it or lose it, is my take on this thread.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on doing a 5 tire rotation, no sense in not doing it as these big tires we put on our Jeeps are kinda pricy so I’m going to get the most I can out of what I paid for.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If you take this route you get stuck always buying the exact same tire/brand, because if you don't... well... nothing looks more dumb than 4 matched tires and a different spare, even if the spare looks pretty and brand new.
Sponsored