USB2 with the 8.4" UConnect

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
So, in looking back at a lot of threads - especially when the JL was brand new - a lot of people said things like - 'there is a power only USB port in the console'. So, was USB 2 originally just for charging and they added it for CarPlay? I'm curious because the 7" UConnect was using it for CarPlay, and when I first booted the 8.4" with my phone plugged in, it came up with CarPlay, but as the 8.4 rebooted and learned the vehicle's features, CarPlay stopped working on USB 2.

I also verified that the unit has the latest firmware installed - it was built in May, 2019 - and I tried to use the USB to upgrade the image and it verified that I had the latest already on the unit.

Everything works perfectly with it but Guardian(which is expected and I am fine with) and the USB 2 port. But, I'm curious if the USB 2 port had CarPlay added over time - anyone remember?

I have tried pulling the F11 fuse - didn't make CarPlay work there.

USB1 works perfectly.
Sponsored

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
So, in looking back at a lot of threads - especially when the JL was brand new - a lot of people said things like - 'there is a power only USB port in the console'. So, was USB 2 originally just for charging and they added it for CarPlay? I'm curious because the 7" UConnect was using it for CarPlay, and when I first booted the 8.4" with my phone plugged in, it came up with CarPlay, but as the 8.4 rebooted and learned the vehicle's features, CarPlay stopped working on USB 2.

I also verified that the unit has the latest firmware installed - it was built in May, 2019 - and I tried to use the USB to upgrade the image and it verified that I had the latest already on the unit.

Everything works perfectly with it but Guardian(which is expected and I am fine with) and the USB 2 port. But, I'm curious if the USB 2 port had CarPlay added over time - anyone remember?

I have tried pulling the F11 fuse - didn't make CarPlay work there.

USB1 works perfectly.
Hi. Did you have any updates on this? I have the exact same situation verbatim, and I am digging around for insights. Thanks!

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
I am in the same boat. I have had 4 radios. the UAA 5" that it came with. both ports worked

a UGQ Euro market 8.4. rear usb worked for carplay as well as front

A 7" UAG. both ports worked for Carplay.

Just installed a 8.4 UAS from a 18 ram. and again. no rear USB!! this sucks. . . wish i could find a solution. I am tired of looking at the cable hanging from my dash
Sponsored