Sponsored

Question for those with UConnect 8.4 issues

Have you experienced glitches or worse with the UConnect 8.4 system?

• Total voters

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Hi Tom, it's not clear to me exactly what you were doing. Did you follow your progress in Gaia on the 8.4 screen using your Iphone connected through CarPlay? If so, what purpose did the satellite receiver play?

Later,
Johnny
Yes, I have a Garmin GPS receiver that uses blue tooth to connect to my phone when the cell coverage is gone. It can use satellites( both US and Russian) for locating my progress on a Gaia map. I can put that map onto my Jeep's big screen on the dash thus negating the need for an I-Pad or other larger screen. Much of the back country here in AZ does not have cell service.

I had pre loaded the trail and several layers of maps I wanted on my MacBook Air......then sync'd the map to all of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Laptop). I can then.use my phone to show the map and my progress via the big screen. (did I just repeat myself? ......hard for me to use all these tech terms.....grin).
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yes, I have a Garmin GPS receiver that uses blue tooth to connect to my phone when the cell coverage is gone. It can use satellites( both US and Russian) for locating my progress on a Gaia map.
Hi Tom, the GPS receiver built-in to your phone will do the same thing without using the separate satellite receiver, no? Cell tower connection is not required. Works that way with my wife's Iphone 8 at least.

Later,
Johnny

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Hi Tom, the GPS receiver built-in to your phone will do the same thing without using the separate satellite receiver, no? Cell tower connection is not required. Works that way with my wife's Iphone 8 at least.

Later,
Johnny

Yeah.....but in the mountains (or with lots of tall buildings in a city) you will loose connections and/or not get good locating with satellites.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yeah.....but in the mountains (or with lots of tall buildings in a city) you will loose connections and/or not get good locating with satellites.
So the separate satellite receiver gives better tracking than the satellite receiver built in to your phone? I'll admit that I stay far away from tall buildings but haven't had problems in mountains up to 14k high.

Later,
Johnny

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'll give it a rest after this Tom but I'd hate for folks to get the idea that you need a separate satellite receiver to use Gaia with an Iphone and Carplay. You do need a Gaia membership so that you can download maps beforehand but you'd also need that with a separate GPS receiver. So far, in the last month, we've used the Iphone built-in gps and maps on the 8.4 screen while traveling through Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina. We were in mountains up to 14k and we had no problems with the Iphone losing our location. We were never among any tall buildings though.

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give it a rest after this Tom but I'd hate for folks to get the idea that you need a separate satellite receiver to use Gaia with an Iphone and Carplay. You do need a Gaia membership so that you can download maps beforehand but you'd also need that with a separate GPS receiver. So far, in the last month, we've used the Iphone built-in gps and maps on the 8.4 screen while traveling through Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina. We were in mountains up to 14k and we had no problems with the Iphone losing our location. We were never among any tall buildings though.

Later,
Johnny
My brother used Gaia's Iphone app in my JK with a Pioneer head unit with Apple Car Play. It worked perfectly. Never lost position and we were out of cell coverage most of the trip. It is a 100% viable option, IMHO. I wish they had that app capability for Android Auto. I'm sure the Iphone app would work well with the 8.4, too. I'll know soon, as my brother just just bought a Gladiator with the 8.4.

I used it on my phone as a backup to keep my Garmin Overlander honest. Worked great, but just too hard to see and manipulate on a phone screen.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I gave up on using unconnect 8.4 within the first month I owned it, A 10inch android tablet works like a champ in its place.
I just leave the unconnect screen on the off road pages

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My brother used Gaia's Iphone app in my JK with a Pioneer head unit with Apple Car Play. It worked perfectly. Never lost position and we were out of cell coverage most of the trip. It is a 100% viable option, IMHO. I wish they had that app capability for Android Auto. I'm sure the Iphone app would work well with the 8.4, too. I'll know soon, as my brother just just bought a Gladiator with the 8.4.

I used it on my phone as a backup to keep my Garmin Overlander honest. Worked great, but just too hard to see and manipulate on a phone screen.
^ You're likely right about this. Initially I bought the receiver to use with my I-Pad (Strangely I Pads do not have GPS in them) as I thought this is the way I was going to map. But now I can use the I-Phone and Apple Car Play to get Giai Maps up on the big screen......thus no need for the I Pad at this point. Tho.....having a redundant set up is not all bad. I guess I forgot my original intent......and thought I was using the blue tooth receiver at times. Dunno.

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Getting anything fixed with the infotainment center seems impossible. I've been to 2x different dealerships multiple times for my USB data connection issue with CarPlay & volume control problems and the story is always the same - "nothing we can do if we can't replicate the problem". They blame ME for a bad phone, bad cables, bad software. I made this video over the course of 1 day using 4x different phones & 3x different cables - both dealerships watched it and then said "nothing we can do about it". Ridiculous!

Segment 1: iPhone 11 w/ USB Cable #1 - connect & fail (3:16)
Segment 2 (3:52): iPhone 10 w/ USB Cable #3 - won't connect
Segment 3 (5:18): iPhone 10 w/ USB Cable #3 - won't connect; USB Cable #2 (brand new) - won't connect
Segment 4 (7:49): iPhone 7 w/ USB Cables #2, #3, #1 - won't connect
Segment 5 (13:57): iPhone 8 w/ USB Cable #1 - won't initially connect, connects while moving, intermittent failure (19:49) then total failure (22:12)
Segment 6 (22:51): iPhone 10 w/ USB Cable #2 - connect & intermittent failures (24:20), (24:43), (25:15)

Another trip to the dealership and they "cannot" replicate this issue. This is what Apple CarPlay looks like on my Jeep Wrangler for the past 18 months. SO frustrating!

IMG_3948D.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
On occasion, I've had issues like the pairing screen. I've found more often than not, they are Android issues. However, I did get the latest Uconnect update and things have been awesome since then, with the exception of a couple of Waze bugs that were known Android 11 problems. Right now, I'm running Android 11 on a Pixel 4a and the whole thing is working like it should. (Knock on wood.) I'm not even having to reboot occasionally anymore.
Sponsored