Sponsored

Upgrade to a JT?

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I 'side graded' from a WK2 to a JT. Quite simply, I wanted a pickup and commodity pickups were not a consideration for me. No regrets (yet!).
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Also, anybody noticed how todayā€™s ā€œcompact pickupsā€ are larger than a 1980ā€™s ā€œfull size pickupā€, with in itself is a LOT bigger than a 1950ā€™s pickup? And yet, that 1950 pickup will actually carry a load, where they shiny new Luxo truck will squat and strain with the same load. Weird. Anywho, the Gladiator is a decent enough truck. Iā€™ve got a Ram 1500, if not Iā€™d be driving one. MySon loves his (came from a Tacoma, that last of 4 of those heā€™s owned). His statement ā€œthe Gladiator feels like a truck-my last Taco (a ā€˜17) felt like an SUV....ā€. YMMV. Buy what suits YOU and enjoy it. Donā€™t worry about what the kewl kids are sayingšŸ˜

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I didnā€™t read all the responses but I am one that traded from a 2019 JLUR gas with a 2ā€ lift, 37ā€s and armor to a 2021 diesel jtur. I have now taken both of them to Moab and run some similar trails. I only have a 1.5ā€ leveling kit on the JT so not an exact comparison. They are both Jeepā€™s and for daily driving are both excellent. I do feel the extra length of the JT when backing in parking lots. The extra wheelbase of the JT allows the ride to be noticeably smoother than the JLU. I have greatly enjoyed the extra carrying capacity of dirty material in the bed of the JT. There are trade offs between the two vehicles which are the differences of a wagon vs a pickup.
As far as off-roading in Moab:
The JLU was much easier to get through some very difficult trails. It was long enough that it didnā€™t feel like the nose was going to go straight in the air like my TJ would do. I definitely felt the extra 18ā€ wheel base on the jt and the bed hang out. To be clear these are for sure the most capable off-road vehicles I know ofand they both do amazing things. The JTā€™s extra wheelbase was excellent when climbing or going down steep areas. I did find I would get hung up on the belly of the JT over dips. This was most relevant on places like the escalator to hell which I couldnā€™t get the JT up in its current form. I alsowould get hung up in places on Gold Bar rim that held the back of the bed in the air and the front bumper was caught on some rocks causing me to be completely stuck. For pure off-roading the jlur was a better dimensioned vehicle. I did leave with more exterior damage on the JT bumpers than I did on the JL.
I have been extremely happy with my trade to the JT but a lot has to do with switching to the diesel. I will add a larger lift to the JT than I had on the JL. Really comes down to how you want to use it most. The JT pulls my boat better
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 0DD20176-6D95-4394-BEEB-B2177DE0E062
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 28C0E414-7E89-4252-9704-0C92E4C9552D

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I own a 87 YJ that I had for 30 years decided to get the JT & I was so glad I did! I got a pickup truck, Off-roader, convertible all in one.. Iā€™ve owned it over a year now & I love it more than the 1st day I picked it up, always brings a smile to my face & get tons of compliments on it as well, you canā€™t go wrong

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
If your off roading is truly so extreme that only a 2door wrangler will do; anything else will let you down.

just cruise your rural country side until you see that dude selling his old ass pick up truck, buy it, use it to get your projects done, and flip it.
This is exactly what I did when I built my house recently. Kept my paid off Wrangler and bought an 07 GMC 2500HD, regular cab with an 8' bed. I planned on selling it when I finished my house but it has been the most practical vehicle I've owned so I'll be hanging on to it for the foreseeable future. It was inexpensive, bought with cash and plpd insurance is cheap. The first time I had it at the lumber yard stacking the bed full of plywood, 9' precut studs, and 12' 6x6''s you should of seen the look of envy on the faces of the guys that had the crew cab truck with tiny 5' bed. You could tell they were thinking what a useless piece of sh#t truck they had.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I assumed too much but I just assumed almost all Gladiator owners would have a canopy for the bed.

It does seem like there is a lot of hate for the vehicle, but reading other car forums I am on, before the debut this is pretty much exactly what people were asking for. Before the debut were people asking for a longer bed? From what I remember anyway people wanted it the size it is now.
This is what I asked for.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? download.jpeg-1

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve owned 18 Jeeps and currently have a Gladiator. Itā€™s a great compromise if you love Wranglers but also need a truck. Isnā€™t it great that we have options to buy whichever one we want? Itā€™s not quite as good off road as a Wrangler, but itā€™s a lot better than a Wrangler at hauling and towing. Everybody- enjoy whichever one you own!

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? download.jpeg-1
You hit the nail on the head. The JT as well as all of the other crew cab with tiny bed trucks out there, regardless of their size, are a compromise. Meaning there are better options for specific purposes and if you are willing to accept the compromise then it might be the right choice for you. Just be sure to fully understand what you are compromising. The same could be said about small short wheelbase 4x4's such as the JL. Vehicles with specific purposes tend to do a better job performing there intended use. A vehicle that attempts to perform the job across a wider spectrum of uses won't perform spectacularly at any specific use.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I assumed too much but I just assumed almost all Gladiator owners would have a canopy for the bed.

It does seem like there is a lot of hate for the vehicle, but reading other car forums I am on, before the debut this is pretty much exactly what people were asking for. Before the debut were people asking for a longer bed? From what I remember anyway people wanted it the size it is now.
No hate here. Like I said already, I love Gladiator. But that doesnā€™t mean it is for everybody.

My guess is Gladiator is selling in big part because of its looks; there's no denying it stands out on the market.

But like many have said, if you need a pickup, there are much better options out there; if you donā€™t need a pickup, Wrangler makes a better city driver and off-roader.

Gladiator shines the moment you want a Wrangler and need to tow.

devaka

First Name
Devaka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I ended up buying a patriot camper instead of moving from JLU to a gladiator. It saved lot of money plus maneuverability and GVM issues(Australia).

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
No hate here. Like I said already, I love Gladiator. But that doesnā€™t mean it is for everybody.

My guess is Gladiator is selling in big part because of its looks; there's no denying it stands out on the market.

But like many have said, if you need a pickup, there are much better options out there; if you donā€™t need a pickup, Wrangler makes a better city driver and off-roader.

Gladiator shines the moment you want a Wrangler and need to tow.
I wouldn't say that the Wrangler is a better City driver. The Gladiator is much smoother handling on the road.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't say that the Wrangler is a better City driver. The Gladiator is much smoother handling on the road.
Right. Until you have to ā€œdockā€ your Gladiator outside your local Whole Foods store... :LOL:

Granted, Gladiator may be easier to maneuver than a Ram 2500 or a Chevrolet Suburban. But that doesnā€™t make it any easier to drive around town than a Wrangler. Not by a long shot.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Right. Until you have to ā€œdockā€ your Gladiator outside your local Whole Foods store... :LOL:

Granted, Gladiator may be easier to maneuver than a Ram 2500 or a Chevrolet Suburban. But that doesnā€™t make it any easier to drive around town than a Wrangler. Not by a long shot.
If you spend more time in parking lots than on the road, sure. Itā€™s a trade off.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I was previously considering the ā€œupgradeā€ as well. To be able to tow a bigger camping trailer with bikes in the bed, etc.. but the long wheelbase bugged me. I still like them though. Theyre great for people who want a wrangler but still need a truck, all in one. If that was my case, i would probably get one.

Instead, i have a small Lowes utility trailer i bought a long time ago. 4x6, weighs nothing.
I also have an old hand me down Silverado. You can buy one, or an F150, for a few grand and just use it when u need to do truck stuff.

And i have a suburban. For camping and hauling people. Too many vehicles though, need to downsize lol.

i have often rented a big utility trailer from local Uhaul. $20-$30 depending on size. No mileage fees. 24 hour usage. Great for moving lots of furniture or picking up a ton of gravel or whatever.

if you want to keep a wrangler in the driveway, be it JL or JLU, just get a small utility trailer (or rent one when needed) or buy an old full size truck for HD runs.

if you want to tow a travel trailer or boat with your jeep, then go gladiator.

i like the power wagons but TOO big for the off roading i do. I also dont want a massive truck that gets shittygas mileage.

gladiators do look a little funky but i think they look a lot better than Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado. Those trucks just have no personality. They look like CUVs with a bed attached. Blah. Gladiator looks utilitarian. It just needs a little lift and 35s and they look great. Id take one any day over the competition and im not a jeep fan boy. This is my first mopar product ever. Im more of a ford/chevy guy but their new trucks just do it for me lately.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Some people like to present themselves as so hardcore offroad that really what they need is a quad, not a jeep lol
Sponsored