UConnect screen wear

Cougar8000

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 4door
Cmarez93,

did you get this resolved? I have the same issue on my 18 JLU and no, no chemicals and no nails were applied like some suggested

Advertisement

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Mine was showing some delamination, installed glass screen protector and no longer see delamination, screen seems to have better clarity.

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Did you ever get this resolved? I recently bought a used Jeep thats still under warranty and the screen looks like this:
x1kD4f4.jpg
What you're seeing here is the oleophobic coating on the screen coming off. Unfortunately, Jeep won't replace this kind of damage under warranty. They'll cover screen delamination, but they'll consider this general wear and tear.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is delaminating, but is scratch free after 3 years. I did put a Mopar screen protector on it early on, so I'd highly recommend that for anyone whose screen is not yet scratched. It did its job well and was cheap. I think $15 bucks for two of them. The one was almost 2.75 years old and was perfect when I peeled it off. I peeled it because I at first thought the delamination was a scratch on either the protector or the screen underneath.

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is delaminating, but is scratch free after 3 years. I did put a Mopar screen protector on it early on, so I'd highly recommend that for anyone whose screen is not yet scratched. It did its job well and was cheap. I think $15 bucks for two of them. The one was almost 2.75 years old and was perfect when I peeled it off. I peeled it because I at first thought the delamination was a scratch on either the protector or the screen underneath.
Apparently, the screen delamination is a manufacturing defect over at LG and is still a problem well into the 2020 model year. A new version of the display component has been produced that fixes this and is just now starting to make its way into vehicles.

I got my UConnect replaced from an update failure that bricked the device, but the replacement unit's screen (built in late 2019) started delaminating about a week after I got it. Whatever adhesive they use for these things apparently succumbs to the heat produced by the display. Mine started very small in the top left corner, but a good 20% of that area of the entire display is now separated.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, the screen delamination is a manufacturing defect over at LG and is still a problem well into the 2020 model year. A new version of the display component has been produced that fixes this and is just now starting to make its way into vehicles.

I got my UConnect replaced from an update failure that bricked the device, but the replacement unit's screen (built in late 2019) started delaminating about a week after I got it. Whatever adhesive they use for these things apparently succumbs to the heat produced by the display. Mine started very small in the top left corner, but a good 20% of that area of the entire display is now separated.
I'm happy to wait. Mine is not terrible and I can only really see it when the screen is off. I know it will get worse, but I've got time, unless they decide they want to do it under the 36k warranty. If not, I've got the lifetime with $200 deductible. If I use that, I'll wait until I can be sure to get the new one.

Do you have a part number on the new one, or do they not distinguish it like that?

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a part number on the new one, or do they not distinguish it like that?
Unfortunately, I don't. However, I'm sending my unit in to get it installed and once I get it back, I'll check to see if I can find one.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Gr.Wagoneer, '98 TJ, '21 2-Dr Rubi
You can buy the Amazon one that is described as having a "smooth touching feeling" and "not easy to be broke".

Or you can go straight to Mopar, an American company, and buy their official product for ~$15.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/part/screen-protector.html

I haven't bought Mopar one yet but plan to.

Deke

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
That MOPAR screen protector is made in china too.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement