Sponsored

U-Connect Map Update for $99 - what improvements / feedback?

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have received and installed the update on 08/19/21. It included 2 USB sticks. One was a required Uconnect update to ver. 21.14.14. It was 20.42.11. The only difference I have noticed is google maps is now nearly full screen. The 2nd USB was the map update, dated 8/11/21. I got this after traveling in GA and FL on roads that were not on the map.
How can I tell what ver of maps I have? I'm in a 2019, but I just bought it, so no idea of what's in it.
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
With the Jeep in accessory or run position; hold the front defrost, up, and down temperature buttons for 7-10 seconds. This will take you to the radio information screen. Select radio part information then application version number. It will start with USA-ASO for US models.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I received the email and the offer was $149.99 (expires 12/31) for the 2021 version. It might be nice to have since the version I have often takes me to non-existent locations. How can I trust them to fix this issue? And, don't I already have the 2021 version: USA-IR-22.64.0-20210318-I0G5?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I received the email and the offer was $149.99 (expires 12/31) for the 2021 version. It might be nice to have since the version I have often takes me to non-existent locations. How can I trust them to fix this issue? And, don't I already have the 2021 version: USA-IR-22.64.0-20210318-I0G5?
That's the thing. There's no guarantee buying a new map will have locations updated in your area. These maps are a mish-mash of collected data provided by third-party companies and some areas get updated more often than others.

I've been in Jeeps running "2021" maps while mine still has 2017 maps and theirs are no different despite new streets, revisions to highways, and general city growth since that time.

Save your money. As much as I like the UConnect navigation system, Google, Apple, and the like are, unfortunately, our only guarantee for the latest maps.

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@jeepdriver99

My guess is you are an older guy ...and sounds like you travel rarely.. and are not real Maps or Waze savy.

You do not need to use your cell phone or data plan with Maps if you do not want to... are concerted about using up your data plan allotment.

You download the Maps when you are home, etc. with WiFi and save to phone .

As for Android smartphone getting hot with hours of use... must be your phone has issues... I drive often for up to 17 hrs. non stop except for gas and a burger, etc and my smartphone never has issues to like overheating, etc.

You just can't compare Google Maps or Waze to built in Nav... no way.

To each his own.

The only comment here is that when you use Waze or Google Maps off line you don't have access to real time traffic conditions, and the same is true for the Jeep's built in NAV if you're not paying for the U-Connect service (and even then it's not clear it works all the time).

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Save your money. As much as I like the UConnect navigation system, Google, Apple, and the like are, unfortunately, our only guarantee for the latest maps.
Agree. If you plan to keep your Jeep for some time, eventually they’re going to stop providing updated maps because they’re going to change to a different system anyway. Using phone apps is the best option.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Agree. If you plan to keep your Jeep for some time, eventually they’re going to stop providing updated maps because they’re going to change to a different system anyway. Using phone apps is the best option.
I'm a fan of the Garmin GPS that I bought over 10 years ago and just keep getting those free updates. I have told the car sales people during my last three purchases, I don't care about having the Acura/BMW/Jeep GPS because they are not that good (however the BMW 3D was pretty cool). I prefer to just keep using my Garmin even though the Jeep GPS is a nice to have even though it takes me to non-existent places I don't want to go to.
Sponsored