Sponsored

U-Connect Map Update for $99 - what improvements / feedback?

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
One thing I like about the on-board map is that, when on interstates, it brings up a sidebar with a little information about upcoming exits; distance, gas station, hotels, restaurants, etc. That's nice for planning when and where to make a stop, if you aren't already familiar with the route. But even that isn't enough for me to use the on-board over Google Maps.

What Google Maps and/or Waze needs (I haven't used Waze in a while, so if it does have this, apologies for missing it) are distances to upcoming rest areas along your route. I've tried a couple of third party apps, but they weren't very easy to use and listed rest areas that we'd already passed and rest areas going the other direction. It couldn't be that hard to do; I mean, that should be cake if they can build a time crystal.
Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I like about the on-board map is that, when on interstates, it brings up a sidebar with a little information about upcoming exits; distance, gas station, hotels, restaurants, etc. That's nice for planning when and where to make a stop, if you aren't already familiar with the route. But even that isn't enough for me to use the on-board over Google Maps.
That’s a valid point and something I found quite useful while driving out to South Dakota last year for some adventuring.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Even the "latest" is probably outdated. Not worth it. I use the built in as a last resort when cell service is bad.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never understood why they continue to even make/update in-car navigation at this point. Surely it costs money, and I've never met anyone who actually uses it. Anyone I've ever met who actually needs in-car nav always uses their phone.
I use it all the time because I live in the mountains with very poor cell reception. Yes, I know the GPS on my phone will still work, but it's useless if the maps don't load to show where the heck I am going.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'd update it if they paid me.

I can't believe we're in 2021 and they're still charging for map updates. Rofl.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
My 18 JLUR had out dated maps when I bought it in May of 18. Half the exits and highways in DFW were wrong.

Been using waze/google maps ever since and I see no reason to go back.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Meh... I like the built in GPS, I even like the look of it. It doesn't work very well. For example it still routes me through major neighborhoods, has the wrong speed limits, does some things well, other things not so well.

I use the Apple Play with Google Maps, if I am in a bad reception area I link my phone with a GPS puck I use for Gaia / OnX etc or put my Garmin XT from the motorcycle into the Jeep as it has some "off road" capabilities.

9 times out of 10 - Google Maps on Car Play

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Some car manufacturers still put maps in cars. Why?

We have to pay for it and then never use it!

Paper maps, Google maps, and when I have no coverage, my Tom Tom all work great!

Eitel

First Name
Eitel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Can you update more than 1 vehicle with the SD update? I would mind getting it, update my 2 Wranglers, and then reselling it.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just got an email about a map update costing 99 bucks, anyone know what this is?

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I received this email today from Uconnect about updating the map in my Jeep for $99. I'm still under warranty and I have the Jeep Extended Warranty and I pay for all the Uconnect, Sirius XM, and Jeep Wave memberships. I'm not understanding why I'm now being asked to pay for a map update.

Anyone else get this?

Jeep Wrangler JL U-Connect Map Update for $99 - what improvements / feedback? 1629923886915

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I like the in dash GPS, I especially like the feature that pops up in front of the driver that shows exits and correct lanes of travel before you are on top of them. I' m going to order the update, I'm sure its better than what's on there now. If the price was $299 i would probably stick with my phone.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have received and installed the update on 08/19/21. It included 2 USB sticks. One was a required Uconnect update to ver. 21.14.14. It was 20.42.11. The only difference I have noticed is google maps is now nearly full screen. The 2nd USB was the map update, dated 8/11/21. I got this after traveling in GA and FL on roads that were not on the map.

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
Got the update Friday. The install took a little over an hour. Just follow the instructions and make sure you park in a shady spot some where out side as the vehicle has to remain running the whole time.
Sponsored