2018 JLUR

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Did you check this out further yet? I have a Sport S and I am pretty confident this thing does nothing. But if it's wire-able, or pre-wired, that would be awesome, as I have a ribbon of LEDs I could hook up to it.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Did you check this out further yet? I have a Sport S and I am pretty confident this thing does nothing. But if it's wire-able, or pre-wired, that would be awesome, as I have a ribbon of LEDs I could hook up to it.
Any update on this?

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150; Sharron's 2020Grand Cherokee
They have it there as it is not only for ambient lighting. From @bam1111 post it states the the left dimmer control will adjust the interior AND ambient light levels. So for Sport and Sport S this adjusts the interior light only. Somebody else said they have a light where the door handle is and I think they said this light is adjusted with that wheel as well. It does have a function.
Today was the first time I've driven my Sport S since bringing it home last weekend. Since it was dark when I left for work this morning, I thought i'd check this light situation out. As most all have said, the right dial does adjust the instrument panel & all dash & control lights, as well as the door lock & unlock light on the door panel. The adjustment works up to the first detent position. I didn't pay any attention to the first detent, but when you push all the way up, that's when interior lights come on, including foot well lights.
The dimmer control on the left, only controlled the little tiny light inside the actual door handle. Even in the dark, it is a really dim light. But as you move the dial up, it does get somewhat brighter. When I moved that dial in the daylight, you can't see that light at all. I saw no footwell lights come on at all during this time.
Hope this helps.

Sponsored

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Today was the first time I've driven my Sport S since bringing it home last weekend. Since it was dark when I left for work this morning, I thought i'd check this light situation out. As most all have said, the right dial does adjust the instrument panel & all dash & control lights, as well as the door lock & unlock light on the door panel. The adjustment works up to the first detent position. I didn't pay any attention to the first detent, but when you push all the way up, that's when interior lights come on, including foot well lights.
The dimmer control on the left, only controlled the little tiny light inside the actual door handle. Even in the dark, it is a really dim light. But as you move the dial up, it does get somewhat brighter. When I moved that dial in the daylight, you can't see that light at all. I saw no footwell lights come on at all during this time.
Hope this helps.

I can confirm mine operates the same way.

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
In the owners manual, any time a feature is an option, it'll indicate "if equipped." No mention of "if equipped" with "ambient light" dimmer at all. It's absurd that this dimmer would control only the barely noticeable lights inside the door handle cavities—makes absolutely no sense.

My left dimmer switch/wheel in 2019 Sport S is flimsy compared to the right one. Did anyone ever figure out whether this is a defect or not?

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In the owners manual, any time a feature is an option, it'll indicate "if equipped." No mention of "if equipped" with "ambient light" dimmer at all. It's absurd that this dimmer would control only the barely noticeable lights inside the door handle cavities—makes absolutely no sense.

My left dimmer switch/wheel in 2019 Sport S is flimsy compared to the right one. Did anyone ever figure out whether this is a defect or not?
Unfortunately, on Sport models the leftmost dimmer dial only controls the small front door handle LEDs. On Sahara and Rubicon models, the dial also controls additional LEDs on the footwell area separate from the ones that light up when you open a door. This LED is not on Sport models.

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
That's so absurd... I didn't even notice footwell lighting at night with doors closed, on the move. My '15 Sport S sure had the feature (although not adjustable).

No dimming mirror in '19 either, while '15 had it alongside same features. Not even S/XM. Only in a Jeep, right? ;)

TDog W

First Name
TDog W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Vette, 11 Sienna SE, 15 Challenger, 20 Punk'n Rubicon
Occupation
Chillin
Hope this helps.
Thanks ,,,Your a Life Saver,,that was driving me nuts...LOL
Sponsored