Turn off auto connect for Android Auto?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Every time we plug a phone into the USB port to charge it, it defaults to starting Android Auto and tries to set the app up on the phone, which in turn disables the feature we're currently using on the UConnect screen. For example, it'll totally over-ride navigation.

This is annoying as hell. UConnect is world class. Why would I want to use Android Auto which makes it look like 1980s Atari software?

Is there any way to turn this off so that it doesn't automatically try to activate Android Auto when plugging in a phone? I realize the rear seat outlets don't do this, at least I think they don't, but I want the front outlets to also not do this. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there any way to turn this off so that it doesn't automatically try to activate Android Auto when plugging in a phone?
I believe Google removed the setting to control AA from auto starting in recent releases.

Try this as a workaround:

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Driving mode > Turn on automatically > When driving is detected > Off

In theory, what the option should do is control how Android Auto runs automatically, so once you turn it off, you the app should no longer fire up on its own when you connect your phone.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I believe Google removed the setting to control AA from auto starting in recent releases.

Try this as a workaround:

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Driving mode > Turn on automatically > When driving is detected > Off

In theory, what the option should do is control how Android Auto runs automatically, so once you turn it off, you the app should no longer fire up on its own when you connect your phone.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
My version of Android looks a little different (S21 Ultra) but I think I found it. Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Turn off auto connect for Android Auto? Screenshot_20210622-080106_Android Auto

Screenshot_20210622-080116_Android Auto.jpg

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Well strangely changing that setting worked. Once. The second time I started the Jeep and plugged up my phone it reverted back to trying to launch Android Auto again. Extremely annoying as it takes control away from you for a while and you have to repeatedly hit "skip" to get past the screens. UGH....

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
You ever find a solution to this? Having the same problem.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Sounds stupid but I bought a cheap 12v charger that takes USB cords. They're all over Amazon for ~$15.

If I want *only* charging (my wife's phone, for instance) I put the USB there. If I want wired Android Auto, I use the media ports.

I can't fathom someone preferring UConnect over Android Auto (esp for navigation) but to each their own.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I actually prefer to run navigation on my phone, due to Android auto not letting you actually look for destinations while the phone is plugged in, which I find infuriating to no end.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Well strangely changing that setting worked. Once. The second time I started the Jeep and plugged up my phone it reverted back to trying to launch Android Auto again. Extremely annoying as it takes control away from you for a while and you have to repeatedly hit "skip" to get past the screens. UGH....
You might find a solution in the cord. Some cords are designed only for power and others power+data. I encountered this about 4 years ago.
Sponsored