Sponsored

Tuff shine tire kit

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Hey guys. I’m not a huge shine tire look kinda guy. And all the sprays out there pretty much give u a shine. I have been using silicone gel for 10 years. No throw with the gel. When I got the Jeep trying to use the gel in all the sidewall treads was brutal. So I started to use a silicone spray and the gel for the rest of the tire. What I don’t like about the factory ko2’s is the sidewall already has a wonky shine to it.

so I decided to try this tuff shine package from auto geek. It’s ur typical clean the heck out of the tire and then coat It. More layers more shine.

so I tried it out today. I scrubbed the heck out of the tires to get all the silicone off of them to get a proper bond. They give u a brush in the kit and it’s really nice for getting in the treads. I deff got them clean as u all can see in the pics. Then I let them dry like it says to. The instructions say if there is any moisture u will not get a bond. Pretty muchthe instructions makes it sound like there is no way will get a proper bond so they don’t get calls I assume.

so pretty much I did the best I could. Then I costed them. It said avoid getting it dried on paint or rims. I figured that cause I used a spray version from a different company afew years ago. Nightmare. Complete nightmare. They give u a sponge to use. I hate these things. This one was pretty good. Once it gets too wet from do g all the wheels you start to get runs everywhere. Personally I feel 1 sponge per wheel. So when I coated with the sponge I followed right behind with 2 microfiber pads to take off excess. I buy these microfiber pads 100 at a time for sealants, polishes, and such. I use and throw. So with the help of the 2 microfiber pads and the sponge I kept it pretty clean. No issues on the rims.

so as of right now I have 1 coat on with a few follow up wipe on and back off with the used microfiber pads. As of now I know the wheels aren’t dried all the way yet. So the pics I put up here are in the drying state.
I’ll see how they look and decide what my plan is then.

but the sidewalls of the ko2’s are just too glossy. There is this weird different color or texture going on around each tire where the white letters are. I guess I’m just use to not having so much sidewall. I’m hoping when I get new tires I can find something that is more of a Matt or texture finish to the tire. Maybe it’s cause my other trucks have had 20 inch rims so less sidewall to deal with. Not low profile but less sidewall be the Jeep.

what you are looking at is cleaning process followed by wet cleaned tire. Then dry ready to go tire and finally a finished tire.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit C3DA4531-EBCB-4EF3-86E9-3998CB39319C
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 472D1BE4-B49C-4C4A-9720-E1304BB0EA1E
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit BDFE5E0D-B612-4EDF-BF94-069E0116338F
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 44461B17-8F9A-48DA-BD9B-79BDF8F87965
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 94C82EE1-BFE4-441C-9E38-4F2226EAE149
Sponsored

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice. I love the stuff. Follow up with how it wears.
Have you used it? I just went over to do my windows and the finish is looking more even. I got to get in the treads at top of tires better. I have to figure out something to use. Maybe a foam brush.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Have you used it? I just went over to do my windows and the finish is looking more even. I got to get in the treads at top of tires better. I have to figure out something to use. Maybe a foam brush.
I used to do detailing; I’ve used it a lot. I never had a customer who didn’t love it. The only complaint ever was from those who wanted a slick, glossy, dripping wet look. It will become shinier with more coats applied but won’t ever get to the “wet armor all” look some people prefer.

A sponge or microfiber applicator are my preferred application methods. I often removed the wheels and laid them flat to apply it. It is easier to apply and let’s you get at all of the sidewall at once. 2 light coats is better than 1 heavy one.

You are 100% correct that a great job of cleaning and making sure they are completely dry is essential to a good job. I’ve screwed up both of those aspects before and the results showed it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I gave up using those types of tire dressing for the shine, just to much work for little reward.

I get mine wet then use a wheel and tire cleaner with a soft brush for the rubber and speed brush for the wheels and then use a electric leaf blower to blow them dry then I spray on 303 and wipe off.

303 is not gel and you wipe the rubber dry after spraying and I don’t use it often, this is after like the Jeep getting washed at least 4-5 times so it seems to hold up

Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 2336D0AF-F6A2-4D35-9856-A4198A813695
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 0004AC49-8E14-422B-A1E1-E9224752AB9F
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuff shine tire kit 5AC6E0A6-5A7E-49FC-B04F-0AE8F1E9BBCA

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to do detailing; I’ve used it a lot. I never had a customer who didn’t love it. The only complaint ever was from those who wanted a slick, glossy, dripping wet look. It will become shinier with more coats applied but won’t ever get to the “wet armor all” look some people prefer.

A sponge or microfiber applicator are my preferred application methods. I often removed the wheels and laid them flat to apply it. It is easier to apply and let’s you get at all of the sidewall at once. 2 light coats is better than 1 heavy one.

You are 100% correct that a great job of cleaning and making sure they are completely dry is essential to a good job. I’ve screwed up both of those aspects before and the results showed it.
Question. Since u have used it before. If I missed any edges next week when I wash can I do them? Should I use thier cleaner again or will it remove the coating? Or can I just wash the wheels with soap and water and do a reapply?

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you get it nice and even on the big tread block?
If you mean by the grooves all I did was take my time with the sponge and then going back in there with a microfiber pad it looks good in the picture but I was just out at the grocery store and I definitely missed a lot of spots. I have to figure out what I’m gonna do I think I might go home now and wash the wheels off lately with some soap and water let them dry overnight and then go back in for a second later tomorrow

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have used the Tufshine in the past on regular tires not all terrain.
Getting it lay down evenly was hard already, i cant imagine how it will be like on a AT tire.
And if you dont even out the bubble it will dry out with the bubble on the tire as well

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This time it went a lot better then last with the spray one from pinnacle.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Question. Since u have used it before. If I missed any edges next week when I wash can I do them? Should I use thier cleaner again or will it remove the coating? Or can I just wash the wheels with soap and water and do a reapply?
Just clean lightly With a soft brush and reapply. Next week shouldn’t require a deep cleaning unless you get them really dirty. Cleaning shouldn’t strip off the coating you already put on.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have used the Tufshine in the past on regular tires not all terrain.
Getting it lay down evenly was hard already, i cant imagine how it will be like on a AT tire.
And if you dont even out the bubble it will dry out with the bubble on the tire as well
That’s why I mentioned removing the tires and laying them flat to clean and apply the clear coat. It’s time consuming but yields much better results more easily than with the wheels on the vehicle.
Sponsored