Tread Lightly on custom order question

thesecondspy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon- 2021 Willys 2D
I know there is a ton of info about the Tread Lightly discount, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this particular question, and so I was wondering what everyone thought. I ordered my Jeep through my dealer, then learned about the TL discount. I signed up, and it has now been 30 days, and so I am now eligible. I emailed the salesperson I have been working with to give him the heads-up that I would be using the Affiliate Rewards program for the discount. He said they are not obligated to honor the program. I then verified that they participate in the Affiliate Rewards program, but he said that even so only certain vehicles get the discount.

I know 2021 (non-hybrid) wranglers qualify for the discount, so my question is can a dealer pick and choose to allow the discount on any given sale, even if they participate in the program? Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership is a private company and can do as they please.

Your post is a little concerning. Reading it I'm led to believe that you either did not negotiate a price before placing the order or the price you negotiated is above FWP (invoice price) and therefore the TL discount would reduce your price and take money out of the dealers pocket.

So, did you negotiate a price before ordering? What is that price vs. FWP?

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yup, why would you order a jeep without discussing the price? Did you place a deposit? If not find another dealer that participates in the TL program.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
thesecondspy

thesecondspy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon- 2021 Willys 2D
Well, it sounds like I am the one at fault here. I guess I should have done more research to try to find the invoice price beforehand. I did put down a deposit, so either I forfeit that or accept what the dealer puts forth. I did not sign anything in regards to price, so I was also under the impression that final price would be negotiated at time of payment delivery, and it appears that this is not typically the case. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Start shopping at other dealers and decide if you can offset the loss of the deposit. Lesson learned neophyte.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you ask about a deposit refund? Some dealers do, that’s another question to ask up front next time. The dealer won’t give you an exact amount with taxes ins etc but for sure the sale price of the Jeep.

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I have a feeling that you did not negotiate the best deal on your build. Do you mind sharing your msrp and the price that you agreed to?

Call the sales manager and ask if they will accept TL. They get reimbursed from Fiat/Jeep for it anyhow so be sure to mention that. If they decline then ask for your deposit back in full, or partial, and go find another dealership. Lesson learned. There are many out there that can give you 1% under invoice without having to use TL, so if they will accept it then you could get 2% under or better. Remember that it never hurts to ask for a lower price, and the internet is your friend. You can negotiate everything over the phone and email nowadays.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Well, it sounds like I am the one at fault here. I guess I should have done more research to try to find the invoice price beforehand. I did put down a deposit, so either I forfeit that or accept what the dealer puts forth. I did not sign anything in regards to price, so I was also under the impression that final price would be negotiated at time of payment delivery, and it appears that this is not typically the case. Thanks for the input.
First check your state. Deposits for cars in many states are always refundable even if they tell you it is not, I.E. California is this way.
Second yes as mentioned above they do not have to honor the TL discount although if it says they do I would at least report them to TL so they can take the dealer off the list if they have one.
Third yes you should have negotiated the price down to the penny before ordering. Not sure your situation but I wouldn't put a deposit on anything unless I knew the final price first. Who's to say they don't put an actual ADM on the car and "force" you to buy it or lose your deposit. Lastly, I would absolutely shop around and get a price. I know Koons does great deals out this way so call them and get a price on a ordered JL. I would bet that that price will be better than this dealer regardless of losing the deposit or not.

Good Luck.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
If you put a $500 deposit, I would consider walking away from the deal and deposit. They probably assume you are paying MSRP.

I would negotiate with other dealers to see what you get the price down to on an order. Once you have your best deal, negotiate with the dealer you have your order and deposit with. ( I probably would not mention that you have an order with a dealer already to other dealers while you are negotiating)
Sponsored