Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you going to order a Jeep within the next year and want the Tread Lightly 1% discount, you may want to consider join Tread Lightly before ordering. Otherwise, your Jeep may arrive in less than 30 days and you will not be able to actually get it until 30 days from joining if you want the discount.

For example, as posted in the Sarge Green thread, I just received an estimated ship date of a JLUR February 12, 2020 after placing an order on January 24, 2020.

While I'm happy that it's coming soon, I'm slightly annoyed that the dealer recommended I wait on joining Tread Lightly until it was ordered. My personal thought was that I should sign up right away to make sure it is active for 30 days to get the 1% discount. However, the salesman is highly recommended and a good guy to deal with, so I figured he would know better than I and I waited to join until we actually ordered the Jeep.

That's a potential annoying mistake on my part, as our new JLUR may be available at the dealer before discount is available. This means we would have to either let our new Jeep sit on the lot the for over a week or sacrifice $640 (about $540 for the discount plus the $100 for the Tread Lightly membership) to get it when it arrives.

Point being, if you are sure you are going to order a Jeep within the next year and you want the Tread Lightly discount, do not wait until you order to join Tread Lightly (unless you want your brand new Jeep to sit on the lot if it arrives before the 30 day wait period).

Of course, all of this may be moot if our JLUR does not actually arrive at the dealer until after the 30 day wait period has expired.

Oh, and thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to provide any insight into anything I may have overlooked.
Sponsored

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I joined Tread Lightly on the 11th of January and was able to get my control number today, short of the 30 day period (24 days I think). I did not try to do it sooner but figured I would give it try since I am about to place in an order. It might be worth trying to see if you can get a control number within that 30 day period.

OP
OP
Yngwie

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I joined Tread Lightly on the 11th of January and was able to get my control number today, short of the 30 day period (24 days I think). I did not try to do it sooner but figured I would give it try since I am about to place in an order. It might be worth trying to see if you can get a control number within that 30 day period.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I got the control number yesterday. However, from what I understand, you can have your membership and the control number, but you still have to wait the 30 days to get the discount.

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I got the control number yesterday. However, from what I understand, you can have your membership and the control number, but you still have to wait the 30 days to get the discount.
Ah that's unfortunate to hear, must be the code entry on their system that checks this.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've used Treadlightly on my past two JKs. But...with people securing more than 1% off discount on their own, is their still a need to have the membership?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yngwie

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've used Treadlightly on my past two JKs. But...with people securing more than 1% off discount on their own, is their still a need to have the membership?
Yes. The Tread Lightly discount should give you 1% more than whatever deal you negotiated. At least in my case, I got something like 6% off the invoice price and that 6% included the extra 1% discount, as the dealer indicated I needed my membership for 30 days to get it.

Yesterday, I asked if I could pick it up sooner if we add back the 1% Tread Lightly discount and the salesman indicated he could do that. This implied that the Tread Lightly discount was indeed part of the total discount.

I have the impression that the Tread Lightly discount is actually paid to the dealer and the dealer may actually get an additional 1%. At least I think I read that somewhere. Thus, anyone who negotiates a discount without it, should be able to get another 1% off, as it does not come out of the dealer's pocket and the dealer may actually make 1% more.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yes. The Tread Lightly discount should give you 1% more than whatever deal you negotiated. At least in my case, I got something like 6% off the invoice price and that 6% included the extra 1% discount, as the dealer indicated I needed my membership for 30 days to get it.

Yesterday, I asked if I could pick it up sooner if we add back the 1% Tread Lightly discount and the salesman indicated he could do that. This implied that the Tread Lightly discount was indeed part of the total discount.

I have the impression that the Tread Lightly discount is actually paid to the dealer and the dealer may actually get an additional 1%. At least I think I read that somewhere. Thus, anyone who negotiates a discount without it, should be able to get another 1% off, as it does not come out of the dealer's pocket and the dealer may actually make 1% more.
This is correct. TL actually is 2% of invoice. 1% for you and 1% for the dealer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes because TL is a additional discount on top of whatever you negotiate.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah that's unfortunate to hear, must be the code entry on their system that checks this.
I think the dealer actually has to make a copy of your membership letter and submit it to TL for the money back.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you going to order a Jeep within the next year and want the Tread Lightly 1% discount, you may want to consider join Tread Lightly before ordering. Otherwise, your Jeep may arrive in less than 30 days and you will not be able to actually get it until 30 days from joining if you want the discount.

For example, as posted in the Sarge Green thread, I just received an estimated ship date of a JLUR February 12, 2020 after placing an order on January 24, 2020.

While I'm happy that it's coming soon, I'm slightly annoyed that the dealer recommended I wait on joining Tread Lightly until it was ordered. My personal thought was that I should sign up right away to make sure it is active for 30 days to get the 1% discount. However, the salesman is highly recommended and a good guy to deal with, so I figured he would know better than I and I waited to join until we actually ordered the Jeep.

That's a potential annoying mistake on my part, as our new JLUR may be available at the dealer before discount is available. This means we would have to either let our new Jeep sit on the lot the for over a week or sacrifice $640 (about $540 for the discount plus the $100 for the Tread Lightly membership) to get it when it arrives.

Point being, if you are sure you are going to order a Jeep within the next year and you want the Tread Lightly discount, do not wait until you order to join Tread Lightly (unless you want your brand new Jeep to sit on the lot if it arrives before the 30 day wait period).

Of course, all of this may be moot if our JLUR does not actually arrive at the dealer until after the 30 day wait period has expired.

Oh, and thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to provide any insight into anything I may have overlooked.
Joining TL sooner then later is good advice. The TL discount is real money saved. TL is a also a very good cause.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
So, I agree Treadlightly is a great program. However, I’m pretty sure you don’t necessarily need to join Treadlightly to get your 1%. Treadlightly is one of the many FCA affiliate reward partners. My employer is - and possibly your employer is - a partner. So just call (888) 444-4321 and ask. If yes, they will give you your employer’s affiliate rewards number and then your personal 12 digit control number. They will email you verification. You bring this and your proof of employment to dealer. Boom. Done. 1% off in addition to all incentives. Keep in mind the 30 day thing is still a thing. Also, some dealers just don’t participate in the affiliate rewards program.

For what it’s worth I didn’t know all this when negotiating and got my 6% ish below invoice without it. So I’m going to push to get this reward applied to my negotiated price when my rig is delivered. From what you guys say it’s no skin off the dealer’s back so why wouldn’t they honor it?

I got my control number via email on Jan 31 and ordered my 3.0 Nov 4th. I’m pretty sure I have at least another 30 days before it arrives :(

https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, I agree Treadlightly is a great program. However, I’m pretty sure you don’t necessarily need to join Treadlightly to get your 1%. Treadlightly is one of the many FCA affiliate reward partners. My employer is - and possibly your employer is - a partner. So just call (888) 444-4321 and ask. If yes, they will give you your employer’s affiliate rewards number and then your personal 12 digit control number. They will email you verification. You bring this and your proof of employment to dealer. Boom. Done. 1% off in addition to all incentives. Keep in mind the 30 day thing is still a thing. Also, some dealers just don’t participate in the affiliate rewards program.

For what it’s worth I didn’t know all this when negotiating and got my 6% ish below invoice without it. So I’m going to push to get this reward applied to my negotiated price when my rig is delivered. From what you guys say it’s no skin off the dealer’s back so why wouldn’t they honor it?

I got my control number via email on Jan 31 and ordered my 3.0 Nov 4th. I’m pretty sure I have at least another 30 days before it arrives :(

Clarification please. I thought that the Treadlighty program got you a no-negotiation deal of 1% below invoice. Is it as simple as another 1% off whatever you negotiate? I actually would like that better.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I think so. Check with these guys and let us know.

[email protected]

This is posted all over their website...

upload_2020-2-4_22-27-41.jpeg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think so. Check with these guys and let us know.

[email protected]

This is posted all over their website...

upload_2020-2-4_22-27-41.jpeg
The graphic seems to depict an either-or offer: 1% below -or- 1% better than your deal. The choice makes it better yet.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OP's thread was about TL. You are correct Affiliate also is the same savings if your employer qualifies.
Sponsored