Tread Lightly discount

Uscolt45

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Renegade
Also, the dealer gets a % back for the tread lightly program correct? Its been a while since I read up on it, but if they price at 1% below invoice, and get a 3% kickback from the program, they could possibly be convinced to give up that extra 2% they get in further discount to you, and to them it will look like an invoice sale, but you will be getting a little ahead. I would imagine this is easier to accomplish with an order, since there wont be any competition for that vehicle and easier on their end.
Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I purchased my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon with the Tread Lightly Affiliate rewards discount. If you use the program, you must buy at the 1% under invoice price -- you can't negotiate lower. I purchased another Chrysler vehicle outside of the program because the dealer was willing to sell it to me at a lower price (it was late March, his sales looked glum, it was a slow-moving vehicle that was in an unpopular color, etc.). At least here at the time that I purchased my Wrangler, you could not negotiate below-invoice prices for Wranglers outside of the program. You could on other vehicles, but not on Wranglers, they were in too high of demand. You probably could today, I notice that my local dealers have 2017 Wranglers piled up all over the place, but you couldn't back then.

Some things about the program:

1) It only applies to vehicles that are on the lot. If you have a dealer that you regularly work with and know their sales manager and etc., he may order a Jeep to your specs (if they aren't so oddball that he'd have trouble selling it otherwise) and allow you to buy it "off the lot" using the discount, otherwise you're restricted to what the dealer has ordered. Luckily my local dealers order Wranglers that are set up pretty much the way I like them so that's not an issue for me.

2) Yes, you must be a member for 30 days. However, 1) if you buy a vehicle, you don't have to remain a member, and 2) if you later want to buy a vehicle after your membership has expired, you can renew your membership then (even if it's three years later!) and the letter will say that you're a member "since August 8, 2011" or whenever you originally joined, i.e., technically the letter says you've already met your 30 days member requirement. I'd wait 30 days anyhow, but (shrug).

3) There's a limit to how many vehicles you can buy per year through the program of two per calendar year.

4) Not all dealers participate. Most do, though, because FCA kicks them back some extra money if the affiliate program is used to buy cars, which in the end is a net plus for them over getting negotiated down to invoice or below. Now that everybody and their uncle has an app on their phone telling them the invoice price of cars, they've lost a lot of the negotiating position they had back in the "good old days" (for them), and the affiliate program thus pencils out for them despite the 1% below invoice.

5) Not all cars are covered. But generally the cars that aren't covered are special versions or limited special editions like the Dodge Challenger Demon. The bog-standard cars that are sold in massive quantities -- like ordinary Jeep Wrangler Rubicons with standard options -- have always been in the program for as long as I've known about it. It is highly likely that the 2018 JL will be available under the program once it's on the dealer lots in quantity.

Note -- I am not a FCA dealer. I'm just someone who's used the program to buy a Jeep.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Can you confirm if Tread Lightly discount program will apply to the 2018 Wrangler Rubicon (even the very first ones to hit dealer lots)?

Thank you.
There have only ever been a few vehicles that the affiliate (tread lightly) pricing wasn’t good for. But they are few. Like the Demon, hybrid Pacifica, odd stuff. I can’t imagine that they will not put the JL in there.

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Yep thats how it works. You also get all incentives on top of the 1% below invoice.
I understand the 1% discount, but what are the other incentives you mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've never heard about Tread Lightly before learning about it here.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
If a Jeep invoice is $30,000 then the 1% off invoice would only be $300.
If a Jeep invoice is $50,000 then the 1% off invoice would only be $500.

It costs $100 to for the tread lightly membership, and then you have to wait a month. Doesnt even seem worth it to me. No wonder Jeep dealers are jumping on this and letting people order without hesitation.
I think we might be better off haggling the old fashioned way, no?

Only problem with this logic is you forgot that normally you don’t even see an invoice and your starting point is MSRP, not invoice. That means in addition to the savings you calculated you have also saved the $1k-$3k difference between MSRP and invoice. Granted you don’t need the tread lightly program to achieve that part in most cases, but again it does it without the need to negotiate.

Old dealer saying: what is the easiest/fastest way to buy a car? Sticker is quicker.

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@JLWF Dealer Guy

Can dealers somehow refuse to sell you one because you've got the tread lightly discount? Let's say a dealer has just gotten the new JL in but it's their only one and they're hoping to make a nice profit on it but then you walk in saying I want to buy this one with my tread lightly membership discount at 1% under invoice. Can they say no?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Only problem with this logic is you forgot that normally you don’t even see an invoice and your starting point is MSRP, not invoice. That means in addition to the savings you calculated you have also saved the $1k-$3k difference between MSRP and invoice. Granted you don’t need the tread lightly program to achieve that part in most cases, but again it does it without the need to negotiate.

Old dealer saying: what is the easiest/fastest way to buy a car? Sticker is quicker.
build a jeep with the exact options on edmunds.com you will see they match exactly and give MSRP and invoice.

WindowStickerPDF.jpg
jeepinvoice.JPG

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Not sure how people get invoice and MSRP confused. Hope they don't vote.

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how people get invoice and MSRP confused. Hope they don't vote.
Some people are new to the process - everyone has to learn and start somewhere. This should remain a place where people feel comfortable asking questions and should remain a destination and resource of information for all.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
@JLWF Dealer Guy

Can dealers somehow refuse to sell you one because you've got the tread lightly discount? Let's say a dealer has just gotten the new JL in but it's their only one and they're hoping to make a nice profit on it but then you walk in saying I want to buy this one with my tread lightly membership discount at 1% under invoice. Can they say no?
A uninformed dealer I guess could say no. If you come across that, go find one that doesn't have their head up their :giggle:...

Sponsored

Knobby

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Only problem with this logic is you forgot that normally you don’t even see an invoice and your starting point is MSRP, not invoice.
If the dealer doesn’t want to show you the invoice, go to another dealer. I have never worked off MSPR.

Dealers may try to start with MSPR, but I shown them my edmunds.com print out to let the, know I’m aware of the invoice price.

Knobby

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Don’t chop up my quote. That is why the rest of my quote said something like “you don’t need the tread lightly for that part”. I understand that most car buyers don’t start at MSRP, but that is where the dealer will try and start. All I’m saying is that the tread lightly discount gets (1% below invoice) is better than the few hundred dollars iki4life was calculating.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A uninformed dealer I guess could say no. If you come across that, go find one that doesn't have their head up their :giggle:...
I'll keep that in mind. Does the tread lightly discount apply only to the vehicle price as optioned from the factory or would it also apply to any Mopar parts that the dealer fits it with?

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Tread Lightly only applies to what is on the sticker. Accessories are a separate item, having nothing to do with the discount.

-A smart person will negotiate heavily on accessories and trade.
-Say something like: I am ordering a Wrangler, using the Affiliate Rewards Program. I want XXXXX minimum for my trade and to buy blah blah accessories at your cost. I am choosing the dealer with the best trade value. Can you willing to work with me on your best trade value?
-Try to get the dealers to compete by letting them know what the other is offering for trade. Don't bother with letting them give the trade value first. They will all just quote from the NADA book and you will start negotiating farther off than you want. DO NOT visit the dealer during negotiation. It is OK to drop by for them to inspect the vehicle, but do not go in. Negotiating over text or email after they see the trade is the best method. This keeps everything in writing. If you go in, they may try to start the shell game. IF you keep it text and email, you are in control and less likely to get confused or allow strategic "miscommunication" to creep in.
-I doubt it is much skin off their teeth to sell you accessories at cost. This is a great thing to try to negotiate in. If you are not sure they are shooting straight on how much it costs them, try an offer to pay 65% of retail.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
In response to my post about knowing what MSRP is vs. invoice:

Sorry folks, it is not the lack of knowledge about invoice vs. MSRP that is disappointing. It is a condescending attitude combined with lack of knowledge that gets me worked up. I should have worded things very differently. My response is destructive and not acceptable.

People do need to know what they are talking about before basically telling a whole group of people they are foolish for using this discount. MSRP and invoice are basic things to understand before making such a post.
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY