Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi all,

So I am gonna be towing a 1,000lb camping teardrop with my 2 door JL. Because it is a 2 door I ordered my trailer with electronic brakes since it was only an extra $350. I know the trailer is light but I have a 2 door with sport brakes and better safe than sorry. And I have never towed in my life.

I made a big mistake and dint get the towing package. I have a rugged ridge receiver installed but no wiring harness. I am gonna need the mopar because it is a 7 pin but I will also need a brake controller.

My question is. How hard is this as a DYI project? I am somewhat familiar with the wiring harness install but clueless about the brake controller.

I have done a few projects on the jeep myself:

- Installed metal bumpers and winch.

- Installed JKS quick disconnects.

- Installed rock sliders.

- Installed rubicon suspension (with lots of help, but I know I could do it myself now).

- Oil changes and tire rotations.

Not sure about the difficulty with the brake controller. In case I dont have time to do the install, is there anyone other than the dealer that would install this for me? How much should I pay if I have someone take care this for me?

from the research Ive done here I am thinking installing the mopar trailer harness and using the curt wireless brake controller. It is pricey but seems worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
THe mopar brake controller is pretty nice, but it isn't anything special from what else is out there. After going thru the surprisingly difficult install of the mopar brake controller and seeing this photo I would do the redarc controller. I used the redarc on my JK and it worked well, and being able to fit the adjustment knob here is very nice. I do know that this install location isn't easy because there are lots of features behind the dash there that might make this a challenge, but it is my current recommendation for a brake controller - Redarc Elite Proportional

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer harness and brake controller. 20201019_130351

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
THe mopar brake controller is pretty nice, but it isn't anything special from what else is out there. After going thru the surprisingly difficult install of the mopar brake controller and seeing this photo I would do the redarc controller. I used the redarc on my JK and it worked well, and being able to fit the adjustment knob here is very nice. I do know that this install location isn't easy because there are lots of features behind the dash there that might make this a challenge, but it is my current recommendation for a brake controller - Redarc Elite Proportional

That looks neat. The curt wireless plug n play nature sounds so nice though. Plug it and go for a walk. Ive spent so much time modifying my Jeep that I could take a break for once lol.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
That looks neat. The curt wireless plug n play nature sounds so nice though. Plug it and go for a walk. Ive spent so much time modifying my Jeep that I could take a break for once lol.
I would not want something like brakes to be reliant on a wireless signal. A small hassle up front will save massive hassles down the road, just my take.

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I would not want something like brakes to be reliant on a wireless signal. A small hassle up front will save massive hassles down the road, just my take.
Agreed. thats why I am asking around. People say it works fine so.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have one of the Curt wireless controllers and it works great! The wireless connection is just for setting it up, when/if it losses contact with the phone it defaults to the last setting, which would be the current one.
The only thing you can’t do without the phone connected is apply the trailer brakes independently.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel

What problems did you have with the mopar controller?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
What problems did you have with the mopar controller?
The biggest was figuring out where it’s supposed to be because the instructions are not great. Also the controller was assembled wrong at the factory so I had to uninstall it, disassemble the knob and rebuild it because the silver ring wasn’t installed right at Mopar and it was causing the button to stick. It also made the dial stiff, but I didn’t know this until I had fixed it and felt how it was supposed to be. The sense box is tucked up way out of the way, high on the driver side of the driver foot well and working in there is no picnic. I’ve done tons of work under the dash and such on vehicles but this was so tucked up there it was quite awkward and my back and side were sore for a couple days from pressure on them while getting up in there. If I was going to do it again I’d remove the driver seat to do it because it would allow for a more comfy position and better access. The fact that removing the seat almost seems required shows how deep under the dash you’re working.
it’s a nice unit but I haven’t used it off road to know how well it works offroading. The red arc works very well offroading because it seamlessly jumps between proportional and just applying brakes at a stop. I’ve also used a Hopkins unit too that did this well. I’m assuming the Mopar unit will do the same, but I don’t know yet.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
The biggest was figuring out where it’s supposed to be because the instructions are not great. Also the controller was assembled wrong at the factory so I had to uninstall it, disassemble the knob and rebuild it because the silver ring wasn’t installed right at Mopar and it was causing the button to stick. It also made the dial stiff, but I didn’t know this until I had fixed it and felt how it was supposed to be. The sense box is tucked up way out of the way, high on the driver side of the driver foot well and working in there is no picnic. I’ve done tons of work under the dash and such on vehicles but this was so tucked up there it was quite awkward and my back and side were sore for a couple days from pressure on them while getting up in there. If I was going to do it again I’d remove the driver seat to do it because it would allow for a more comfy position and better access. The fact that removing the seat almost seems required shows how deep under the dash you’re working.
it’s a nice unit but I haven’t used it off road to know how well it works offroading. The red arc works very well offroading because it seamlessly jumps between proportional and just applying brakes at a stop. I’ve also used a Hopkins unit too that did this well. I’m assuming the Mopar unit will do the same, but I don’t know yet.
Going to electric convert the hydraulics on this m1102 and was debating the redarc vs mopar actually. I just don't want to deal with dash lights or any nonsense so thats why I was looking to mopar.

20210403_141840-01.jpeg
Sponsored