ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
‘19 JLU Altitude - concrete warrior, garage kept, never been off-road
10,500 miles
34k a fair trade-in value?
KBB, Blackbook, Carvana are anywhere from 32 to a shade under 37.
Understanding what I’m buying is a factor as well.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
32-37... Are those offers? Is that retail? Is that wholesale?

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Carvan, carmax, and some others will give you a real number. KBB is an estimate based on various data. Some have reported Carvana paying top dollar but depends on location.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it will matter what else you are buying, are you trading it in at a Jeep dealer or not, etc.

Is it a Sport Altitude or Sahara Altitude?

OP
OP
ToPar9

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Sport Altitude - nothing fancy.
I hope the pics aren’t too big.
Carvana KBB NADA
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade-In Question 1600484475936
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade-In Question 1600484614603
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade-In Question 1600484519978

Sponsored

OP
OP
ToPar9

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Yes, it will matter what else you are buying, are you trading it in at a Jeep dealer or not, etc.

Is it a Sport Altitude or Sahara Altitude?
Plain ole Sport. The plan was to make improvements and hang on to it for a while, lift, tires, wheels... you know, the fun stuff.

OP
OP
ToPar9

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
32-37... Are those offers? Is that retail? Is that wholesale?
Trade-in.
I think only one listed the Sport Altitude as an option. I doubt that package ups the value to make a huge difference.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
If you’re trading then depends on the deal you write. Doesn’t matter what anyone here says, and location and timing affect prices. You at least have an idea and carvana should be a cash offer so if the dealer goes low you can go that route. I’ve certainly had worse depreciation than that on other vehicles...

Jbass188

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude
Carmax, Carvana will give you a cash offer. Good for 7 days. Good comparison for your dealer trade-in. Carvana was $900 higher than Carmax. . $2000 more than my dealer offered. Good luck.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Make the best deal you can without the trade...and then ask for a trade offer. If you plan to use dealer financing please know the dealer typically receives between 1.5 and 2.5% of the amount you finance from the bank or credit union underwriting your loan. Dealers also receive large commissions on the warranties and credit life/disability products they sell to you. These extra sources of income can artificially boost apparent trade value. Good luck...

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I always work the numbers on the new vehicle and the trade separately. I go in already knowing where I need to be based on realistic numbers I've run via research. Yes, get Carmax or whoever to give you a quote before you go the dealership. This can help with negotiations. Based on what you wrote, 34 sounds like it might be reasonable. I always try to make it work at the dealership so I can get the new car tax break. Remember if you buy a vehicle for 50k and they give you tradein credit of 35K, you only pay Texas car sales tax (6.25%) on the difference or 15k. If you sell your vehicle to Carmax and then walk into the dealer to buy, you have to pay the sales tax on all 50k. Depending on your numbers this can effect the total cost of this transaction by multiple thousands of dollars.

OP
OP
ToPar9

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
If you’re trading then depends on the deal you write. Doesn’t matter what anyone here says, and location and timing affect prices. You at least have an idea and carvana should be a cash offer so if the dealer goes low you can go that route. I’ve certainly had worse depreciation than that on other vehicles...
Taxes. Biggest reason I don’t want to sell to Carvana or locally. I’m not sure it’s the same way everywhere.
35,000 - new car price
34,500 - trade value
You pay taxes on the difference. (500 - $31)
Out the door at 35,031
Tax on 35,000, (2,200 approx)
37,200 - out the door.
34,500 + 2,700
Now I’d need to find a buyer who’d pay 37,200, just to cover the taxes.
At the dealership, I’d be more likely to squeeze another 500 out of them to break even. (No tax)
Lots of what if’s.
Maybe I should spend 2k - spacer lift and tires, then get rid of it.
29k for a Lifted JKU Sport with 83k miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade-In Question 1600534433061

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I should spend 2k - spacer lift and tires, then get rid of it.
Most dealers are not going to give you anything for your aftermarket mods.

They will enter your VIN into the computer; the system will automatically tell them if your Wrangler is a Sport, Sahara or Rubicon and show all major options the Jeep came with from the factory; they will then check the box on any dealer upgrades —e.g., leather seats, LEDs, OE lift, etc.; enter the color, mileage, zip code and overall vehicle condition, and they will get a figure. If not a Jeep dealer, they will call a couple of Jeep dealers to double check the accuracy of their numbers.

Most dealers will then subtract $2,000 to cover their *sses, and that’s the number they will give you for your trade.

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yep
Most dealers are not going to give you anything for your aftermarket mods.

They will enter your VIN into the computer; the system will automatically tell them if your Wrangler is a Sport, Sahara or Rubicon and show all major options the Jeep came with from the factory; they will then check the box on any dealer upgrades —e.g., leather seats, LEDs, OE lift, etc.; enter the color, mileage, zip code and overall vehicle condition, and they will get a figure. If not a Jeep dealer, they will call a couple of Jeep dealers to double check the accuracy of their numbers.

Most dealers will then subtract $2,000 to cover their *sses, and that’s the number they will give you for your trade.
Absolutely correct! If I end up selling/trading my Recon for a 392 I will remove as much after market add ons except for the lift and tires. I would keep my winch, off-roading lights, and even the extra skids... Dealer’s or even private buyers would not give me much if anything for these adds.

OP
OP
ToPar9

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Believe me, I do my homework. I’ve been researching for 6-weeks. I have a notebook full of numbers, VINs, multiple dealerships, discounts, incentives, etc.
I don’t say anything about a trade. I have my wife drive and let them known I’m not trading in her car.
I shoot down the, “what do you want your payment to be” question. I ask what I feel comfortable paying, based on my research. Obviously I want it as cheap as possible, within reason.
I have no issue walking out.... did it last night. They’ve called twice, and emailed me wanting to discuss last night.
I haven’t replied, yet.
Sponsored