Thoughts on trade in value?

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
So I have a 2020 JL Sport, 6spd Manual with 48500 miles on it. I'm considering trading up to a 4dr Rubicon. I'm just curious what your guy's experience is lately with dealer appraisals. In no way is the car destroyed or anything, but there's a good amount of scratches and scuffs on the interior trim... namely the trunk sides, and the front passenger glove box area...I traveled cross country with 2 dogs camping, so yeah. Also, the rugs are well worn.

I guess my question is, how much can I expect to have them try to take off of the trade in value? What would you consider acceptable? I know pics would help, but wife has the car atm. NADA has me at $31k for 'fair' condition, and kbb puts me around 28k for average.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Would you buy it used for a premium price? Sadly, based on your description and the very high miles, it will go straight to auction. Not many new car dealers would want it on their lot. To be fair, you haven't posted pictures yet.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Would you buy it used for a premium price? Sadly, based on your description and the very high miles, it will go straight to auction. Not many new car dealers would want it on their lot. To be fair, you haven't posted pictures yet.
Vroom or Carvana will buy it and sell it at MSRP.

OP
OP
fknMeow

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I'd buy new....I'm actually looking at this guy; https://www.chryslerjeep24.com/new/Jeep/2021-Jeep-Wrangler-6ec1b71e0a0e09a87235ac0db0ac7746.htm

It's one of the few manual Rubicons on the market around here. That dealer is selling at MSRP, as opposed to the bs 'market adjustment' some are trying to pull.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No, I'd buy new....I'm actually looking at this guy; https://www.chryslerjeep24.com/new/Jeep/2021-Jeep-Wrangler-6ec1b71e0a0e09a87235ac0db0ac7746.htm

It's one of the few manual Rubicons on the market around here. That dealer is selling at MSRP, as opposed to the bs 'market adjustment' some are trying to pull.
Wow, that thing is nicely equipped. The 6 spped is keeping them for asking over MSRP.

https://www.chryslerjeep24.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/jeep?vin=1C4HJXFG2MW731691

OP
OP
fknMeow

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
fknMeow

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
So I have a 2020 JL Sport, 6spd Manual with 48500 miles on it. I'm considering trading up to a 4dr Rubicon. I'm just curious what your guy's experience is lately with dealer appraisals. In no way is the car destroyed or anything, but there's a good amount of scratches and scuffs on the interior trim... namely the trunk sides, and the front passenger glove box area...I traveled cross country with 2 dogs camping, so yeah. Also, the rugs are well worn.

I guess my question is, how much can I expect to have them try to take off of the trade in value? What would you consider acceptable? I know pics would help, but wife has the car atm. NADA has me at $31k for 'fair' condition, and kbb puts me around 28k for average.

Thoughts?
Before you take it and ask the dealer - which is what you need to do, for the love of God get that JL professionally detailed.

I have seen - and even test driven - vehicles people turned in to the dealer that were full of dog hair and garbage. What determines value? More than anything: appearance. Those fools lost thousands in trade to save hundreds on a good detailing.

Scuffs can be buffed out. Make that baby shine and maximize your trade in value.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Auction price is rough trade in. A though detail and moderate paint correction should cost you about $1000. Then all that would be left is the deeper scratches that still show in the plastics. Get estimates from a couple of places with good reputations.

OP
OP
fknMeow

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I'll go and get it detailed, hopefully today. With the way the new Rubis have been selling, I need to get to that dealer asap though.
So it sounds like the worst case scenario is getting the 'fair' tier of book value?
Also, which tends to be more accurate, kbb or nada?

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
Auction price is rough trade in. A though detail and moderate paint correction should cost you about $1000. Then all that would be left is the deeper scratches that still show in the plastics. Get estimates from a couple of places with good reputations.
Not necessarily - the dealership will get a price from their usual wholesalers and then subtract $2 - 3K and that will be their initial offer. Just because they tell you they are going to wholesale it doesn't mean they won't try to make a buck off the transaction. Get multiple trade-in quotes if you can, including Cavana, Vroom, etc...
Sponsored