Sponsored

Towing question: Wrangler vs. Gladiator

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What I found interesting is that maximum tow doesn't come at the Rubicon trim level but rather with add ons at the Sport trim level:

I think This is primarily due to available payload - Rubicon has heavier axles, heavier suspension, heavier bumpers...that’s all I can figure
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@RussJeep1; if I did the research we wouldn’t get the privilege of seeing your...uuuhhh...creative...visualizations of the subject matter. ;)

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Yes. Rear brakes are bigger. JT has better cooling as well.
Cooling is a big deal in tow rating. It's why the small rear end JKU was only rated 1,000 lbs at first. Part of the rating is based on how they'd do towing up a long incline in the heat, e.g. the Death Valley Grade.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You keep saying that the wrangler suspension has nothing to do with its row rating. Talk to an engineer. It has everything to do with it.
I have talked to engineers actually. The suspension has little to nothing to do with it. JL is a multi-link rear end with coils, just like Ram 1500, just like Gladiator. It's got a track bar and anti-sway, just like Ram 1500, just like Gladiator. It's not ultra soft and it's not ultra flexible in stock configuration. The suspension is NOT what limits towing on the JL.

I think This is primarily due to available payload - Rubicon has heavier axles, heavier suspension, heavier bumpers...that’s all I can figure
Exactly. You start with a maximum GVWR. Then anything you add in options has to be subtracted elsewhere to keep that number the same. So that's why Overland and especially Rubicon trims have the lowest payload and towing.

Cooling is a big deal in tow rating. It's why the small rear end JKU was only rated 1,000 lbs at first. Part of the rating is based on how they'd do towing up a long incline in the heat, e.g. the Death Valley Grade.
Yeah cooling is a big part of it too. The guy who used to be an engineer on solid axle Jeeps did an article on the specific tests they'd do and the things they'd design for in the real world. It was interesting. I like how the 850RFE trans has a cooler mounted to the side even in JL models. With the higher ratings, JT likely will have lots of add-ons for cooling since it's still a small grille opening.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I have talked to engineers actually. The suspension has little to nothing to do with it. JL is a multi-link rear end with coils, just like Ram 1500, just like Gladiator. It's got a track bar and anti-sway, just like Ram 1500, just like Gladiator. It's not ultra soft and it's not ultra flexible in stock configuration. The suspension is NOT what limits towing on the JL.

Exactly. You start with a maximum GVWR. Then anything you add in options has to be subtracted elsewhere to keep that number the same. So that's why Overland and especially Rubicon trims have the lowest payload and towing.

Yeah cooling is a big part of it too. The guy who used to be an engineer on solid axle Jeeps did an article on the specific tests they'd do and the things they'd design for in the real world. It was interesting. I like how the 850RFE trans has a cooler mounted to the side even in JL models. With the higher ratings, JT likely will have lots of add-ons for cooling since it's still a small grille opening.
I thought we had exhausted this topic on another thread, but oh well.
I just want to emphasize one of @WXman observations which is GVW. Every once of weight added has to be substracted from the combined max GVW of the trailer and the Jeep. One of the most difficult ones is unfortunately the most commun modification: bigger heavier tires and wheels. The complication is that those are not pound per pound, but geometrical because on the top of the weight, the bigger diameter by itself is detrimental since the rotors stay at the same diameter, and then there is the issue that the extra pounds are not static but rotating and the greater the speed the greater the compounded effect. In a way I’m glad that the Wrangler has a low towing capacity, expecting that the safety factor is bigger because people just love to modify things, we are all experts, but when things go bad we run to the seller to blame, lol
I’m not against modifying the jeep, mine is victim too, but we have to take responsibility of looking beyond to the possible consequences.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
OK, It's a jeep pickup---but

The damn thing has a 138" wheelbase, a couple inches shorter than my RAM 1500, so how will you be able to take it off-road, other than FORESTRY ROADS--

Talk about 3-point turns !!

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored