Towing a utility trailer

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
The trick turned out to be not ratchet strapping it *down* but ratchet strapping it to each side rail. With one strap pulling left and one strap pulling right it's impossible for the bike to tip over.
Sponsored

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
congrats on the new trailer. 5 wide is a good size to learn off. You can just see the wheels and fenders when backing up. Criss crossing straps at each side also helps with lateral movement.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
@jlrocks

Do look around. Don't just look at the bargain basement trailers at Tractor Supply. There are plenty of places selling trailers that are affordable.

IF you plan on ever towing on the interstates at posted speeds, your best bet is to have a trailer with decent size wheels/tires.

Be sure to buy and always carry a spare tire for the trailer.

Do place rubber keepers on your trailer tow chain hooks.

Do be sure you use a drop hitch with the appropriate drop.

Watch tongue weight and Max weight in general.

Load the trailer properly 60/40. This is even important when carrying light loads.

uuu.png

I thought getting more weight over the tires was better, but then again, I was just guessing. I have the motor just from of the wheels, so it does seem like 60%. "rubber keepers on the tow chains?" what's that?

I cruise with the trailer around 70 but have been up to 80 with no problems, no swaying, no drag.
Jeep-Bike-crop.JPG
Sponsored