Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Modern vehicles have too many electronics already. They are too overly complex to stay away from having to go into the dealer, and dealers are unable to diagnose and repair them quickly enough to keep up with the volume.

I am in no hurry to get rid of either of my vehicles at the moment. But whenever I go online to look for what would be nice to get next, I keep going back to vehicles that offer the most analog experience. Including a bunch of used vehicles.

Vehicles made up until around 2012-2014 seem to be the last of the analog era, before automakers started loading them with too many stupid electronics.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
Call me old fashion, but one thing Jeeps Don’t need are more Nannie’s. Too many already. I enjoy driving-if I didn’t I’d get a Tesla🙄
To be fair, I did not add either safety group to my Jeep for that reason. I was honestly surprised that there wasn't a ding or light reminder about the back window, like a trunk open light. But, it did get me to thinking about the current course of vehicle safety features that are being added on every year. While I was being facetious, some of those features I was joking about may end up becoming standard in the future. For me, I will enjoy a vehicle that allows me to control my risk for as many years as I can.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think Jeep currently splits up the two safety groups nicely along their level of intrusiveness.

The Safety Group includes more passive add-ons, namely the backup sensors, the blind spot monitors and LED tail lights.

The Advanced Safety Group includes more intrusive features like forward collision, adaptive cruise, etc.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Safety features don't appeal to many on this group. Ironically, many would have banned anti-lock brakes in 1990 - now they flippin love them. Until then Luddites, why don't you refuse to buckle-up in protest, and see if Darwin intervenes. :)

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I think Jeep currently splits up the two safety groups nicely along their level of intrusiveness.

The Safety Group includes more passive add-ons, namely the backup sensors, the blind spot monitors and LED tail lights.

The Advanced Safety Group includes more intrusive features like forward collision, adaptive cruise, etc.
I would have considered the safety group. Blind spot monitoring is never bad. But not advanced safety group. Driving my eyesight equipped Subaru always gave me a headache with all the little alerts going off constantly. My salesman also pointed out that it may complicate aftermarket bumper selection. So I avoided it, and don’t regret it.

Sponsored

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I would have considered the safety group. Blind spot monitoring is never bad. But not advanced safety group. Driving my eyesight equipped Subaru always gave me a headache with all the little alerts going off constantly. My salesman also pointed out that it may complicate aftermarket bumper selection. So I avoided it, and don’t regret it.
I've got the advanced safety group on my Wrangler and it's never given me an erroneous warning so far. Also, it shouldn't affect the front bumper at all since there's no sensors or anything in the bumper.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've got the advanced safety group on my Wrangler and it's never given me an erroneous warning so far. Also, it shouldn't affect the front bumper at all since there's no sensors or anything in the bumper.
We have members who complain about the "annoying" warnings. The audibles only go off if you are about to hit something - like lane-changing into a car in your blindspot. And furthermore...it only goes off after you've announced your intentions by putting on your turn signal. How is that annoying exactly? Would you rather crash? Have you guys even tried the Jeep safety systems, or are you axe-grinding over a bad experience with another manufacturer?

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I was mainly worried about the rear. Gotta find one that can accept the sensors, and hope it doesn’t lead to issues with it performing. I bought this Jeep with an intention to Wheel it, it will continue to be modded, so I opted against the safety bells and whistles.

That Subaru, everytime the lane keep assist engaged I got a chirp, anytime someone merged in front of me it chirped as it acquired them for follow control, etc. it was an attack on my senses just to drive that thing. And turning off the sounds wasn’t much better because the instrument panel would light up and flash like a MoFo anyway.

It was really cool at first, but in the end, I grew to really hate it.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
We have members who complain about the "annoying" warnings. The audibles only go off if you are about to hit something - like lane-changing into a car in your blindspot. And furthermore...it only goes off after you've announced your intentions by putting on your turn signal. How is that annoying exactly? Would you rather crash? Have you guys even tried the Jeep safety systems or are you axe-grinding over a bad experience with another brand?
Right? I always wonder how attentive the drivers are that complain about these features. "Damn thing is always beeping at me! Piece of crap!" said by the driver with a smashed front bumper and dented quarter panels...

Now, I will say I've had false alarms in other vehicles but that's maybe a few times per year. It beeps, I take a look around, confirm I am not about to hit something, then continue on living. It's no big deal.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That Subaru, everytime the lane keep assist engaged I got a chirp, anytime someone merged in front of me it chirped as it acquired them for follow control, etc. it was an attack on my senses just to drive that thing. And turning off the sounds wasn’t much better because the instrument panel would light up and flash like a MoFo anyway.
The Wrangler doesn't have lane keep assist. I agree, the constant corrections are annoying, but that's for Subaru to remedy. Don't paint Jeep with the same brush.

Sponsored

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I was mainly worried about the rear. Gotta find one that can accept the sensors, and hope it doesn’t lead to issues with it performing. I bought this Jeep with an intention to Wheel it, it will continue to be modded, so I opted against the safety bells and whistles.

The ultrasonic sensors mounted on the rear bumper itself aren't used for the blind spot radar based system. But yes, you'd need to find an aftermarket bumper that had holes for those sensors if you wanted to retain the parking assist system.

I had a rental Subaru for a month in Fairbanks. I can 100% sympathize with your feeling towards eyesight.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I'm not sure what it is with the Japanese but every car they build beeps, dings, dongs, and chimes any time you do *anything*. That's American Japanese cars and it's somehow even worse in Japan itself. Any car I've ever rented in Japan is always playing some kind of chime or musical melody whenever you do anything. Korean cars are similar.

Don't chime or beep at me unless something critical is occurring. One of the things that drives me nuts about my 4xe is how it honks the horn 3 times if you lock the door with the ignition in RUN. Every time it does that I wanna unplug the horn.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I had zero issues swapping the 4 rear bumper sensors over to the Cavfab Ultra Clearance bumper. Over 2.5 years later, and not a single hiccup with the rear parksense system. I would highly recommend that you get replacement bezels and retainers for transferring the sensors over, as those pieces are plastic and are not really designed for reuse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Total Safety Group 20220806_091830_resized

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
The Wrangler doesn't have lane keep assist. I agree, the constant corrections are annoying, but that's for Subaru to remedy. Don't paint Jeep with the same brush.
You seem to take this very seriously. I hate nanny gear on vehicles, it’s based on experience with other brands (Acura’s is bad too). That’s OK, it’s my opinion, and there’s no reason not to share it.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I had zero issues swapping the 4 rear bumper sensors over to the Cavfab Ultra Clearance bumper. Over 2.5 years later, and not a single hiccup with the rear parksense system. I would highly recommend that you get replacement bezels and retainers for transferring the sensors over, as those pieces are plastic and are not really designed for reuse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Total Safety Group 20220806_091830_resized
That’s actually a really nice looking bumper. If I’d had the safety group I might have gotten it. But I do like having the option to choose anything that will fit.
Sponsored