Tire rub

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I realized after replacing my tires with the same size that were on it (285/70/17), that at extremes, left or right, the tires rub on the bumper. Well, not the bumper so much as that piece between the bumper and the fender...with me so far? Anyway, after getting the driver side nearly removed, I saw that the fog light wire harness was going to be exposed, that piece is also the back of the bumper protecting said harness, so, I attempted to replace the screws and regroup except the plastic nuts that are in the bumper pushed out so I cannot re attach the screws as they have no backing (nut). ALLLL that to ask this, since the cure seems to be a lift and or a new bumper (that I want anyway, lol), do I care about not getting that snugged down, regarding the harness? Realistic time frame for either cure is after holidays, so I don't wanna start an electrical issue cuz I didn't ask...I know, yikes right...it's my first jeep, bare with me, lol
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
You can ride with the covers off - the Rubicon steel bumper has the wiring exposed near the fog lights. I drove for several months like that on my own, before deciding to trim the fairings and reattach them. I used trim panel push pins, since I removed all the nutserts that were in the bumper.

IMG_3033.JPG

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
You can ride with the covers off - the Rubicon steel bumper has the wiring exposed near the fog lights. I drove for several months like that on my own, before deciding to trim the fairings and reattach them. I used trim panel push pins, since I removed all the nutserts that were in the bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire rub IMG_3033.JPG
appreciated, I couldn't think of how to modify them for reuse as cover and get them back on...I needed a plan until I can afford a nice bumper winch setup, that rocks....did you need to remove the bumper to get those dammmm nutserts out?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
appreciated, I couldn't think of how to modify them for reuse as cover and get them back on...I needed a plan until I can afford a nice bumper winch setup, that rocks....did you need to remove the bumper to get those dammmm nutserts out?
Sure thing! No need to remove the bumper - just a pair of needlenose pliers or a flathead screwdriver to pry them out. It was relatively painless. I cut those covers with a Dremel, but I've also read on here that some members have used a fresh blade on a utility knife and had good success with that. Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Sure thing! No need to remove the bumper - just a pair of needlenose pliers or a flathead screwdriver to pry them out. It was relatively painless. I cut those covers with a Dremel, but I've also read on here that some members have used a fresh blade on a utility knife and had good success with that. Good luck and keep us posted!
Getting ready to do this and I wondered which trim tool takes out those really big pushbolts that hold the whole cowl across the bottom of bumper, there are 6 or 8 of them...Understood i am only removing 1 on each side, just describing, lol. I have a trim tool kit so if I knew proper one I'd be set...the big ones have slots in the head, making any sense....thanks

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire rub IMG_3033.JPG
Hello, I'm doing this removal and mod as we speak...All the screws and the 1 nut less screw have been removed from the diver side, the cowl is hanging up on something and won't let me get it out. What am I missing and or not seeing? Helpp, lol, I'm in pieces in driveway!
Sponsored