Soft top rub - Anyone else seeing this?

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Noticed damage on interior of premium soft top. Pretty bad rub above driver’s and passenger’s seats near first seam above door. I assume this is from while soft top is all the way down or in sunrider position since there doesn’t appear to be any hard parts close to this section while the top is closed. 2018 with 26k miles (as many of those as possible with top down, but switch to hard top in Midwest winters). Determining next steps but wondering if others are seeing this also? Thanks.

Driver’s side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top rub - Anyone else seeing this? C7A7791B-F547-4D00-A256-5E8B3AE6CF10

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top rub - Anyone else seeing this? C28DBD7A-15D6-449A-92BD-793D333EA12D

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top rub - Anyone else seeing this? 59809EDF-1A8C-46EC-9523-3F46394D4A47

Matcher on passenger side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top rub - Anyone else seeing this? 1DB04856-0F7A-47FA-9410-5C7945691E8E

Neither is visible from the exterior.
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the premium soft top only but just under 11k miles. Top up and down constantly but mostly down the past 6 months. No wear marks.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that kind of wear on my JK's original top. I found the culprit and put some soft cloth over it or something like that to prevent it.

If you are under warranty, Jeep will order and install a new one for you. They probably have seen that before and likely have a fix. I'd bet it would be like the fix I did for my JK. It was simple, but effective.

OP
OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have the premium soft top only but just under 11k miles. Top up and down constantly but mostly down the past 6 months. No wear marks.
Glad you’re not seeing this issue dsgrey. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I saw that kind of wear on my JK's original top. I found the culprit and put some soft cloth over it or something like that to prevent it.

If you are under warranty, Jeep will order and install a new one for you. They probably have seen that before and likely have a fix. I'd bet it would be like the fix I did for my JK. It was simple, but effective.
Thanks for the info Dan. Will see if I can determine what part is causing it and get something on there. I do think I’ll bring it in to see if they’ll do anything under warranty. Worried about how that rub that’s already started could turn into a leak!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info Dan. Will see if I can determine what part is causing it and get something on there. I do think I’ll bring it in to see if they’ll do anything under warranty. Worried about how that rub that’s already started could turn into a leak!
Yep! What worked on my JK was a piece of cloth with adhesive on one side. The cloth was soft but durable, sort of like the soft half of Velcro. I may have helped it with Gorilla Glue or something like that, IIRC. I haven't had the soft top on my JK in several years, or I'd go out and look at it. It is in storage, so hard to get to.
Sponsored