Tips on wheels+tires package

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Hi all, forgive the noobish questions - kinda new to this.

i’m looking to upgrade my wheels and i’m looking at this setup

under important info - it says this is an aggressive fitment and may require trimming. These are 265s and 18in wheels so idon’t think these are too much of a difference from stock wheels. Anyone else run these similar specs? Are any spacers required?

CDECA6B3-455D-46C6-8967-33A67BB931DE.jpeg

29578E08-C6DE-4544-B581-C20E6417DEDE.jpeg
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
The 0 offset is going to poke out from your fenders maybe 1/2 inch. Stock wheels are a +44 offset so that is why it says aggressive. I run a -18 offset and mine stick out about 3 inches outside fender with a 35 tire.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's a good spec for the wheels, I run a +10 offset on my 295/70s. That 0 offset allows more room if you decide to lift or run bigger tires.

You might check the classifieds here and see if you can get a set of BFG Rubicon takeoff tires, even though they are 285/70/17s they still fit pretty well on a stock JL Sport and can be had pretty cheap sometimes.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! So with these wheels, i can upgrade to bigger tires w/o issues

And with the 0 offset, it will poke out a bit? Would this current wheel/tire setup look skinny/narrow if it pokes then?

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU

And with the 0 offset, it will poke out a bit? Would this current wheel/tire setup look skinny/narrow if it pokes then?
I have 8.5x17 with +10 offset with 285x70x17 and this is the poke out.

262FA13D-8A92-43DF-9DE1-11E08CD70440.jpeg

BDA793D5-A01C-431D-A66F-EFB3158B84A3.jpeg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

To be honest that 265/70 size isn't that common, probably be able to get 285/70s for close to the same price and will have a better overall look. Having the wider footprint of the 285 is also a plus when off-roading, especially if you need to air down.

And yes, those wheels can accommodate almost any tire that you can safely run under your Jeep. With a mild Rubicon suspension swap you can run up to 35" tall tires w/ those wheels. If you decide to look into that option here's my install thread on that :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be honest that 265/70 size isn't that common, probably be able to get 285/70s for close to the same price and will have a better overall look. Having the wider footprint of the 285 is also a plus when off-roading, especially if you need to air down.

And yes, those wheels can accommodate almost any tire that you can safely run under your Jeep. With a mild Rubicon suspension swap you can run up to 35" tall tires w/ those wheels. If you decide to look into that option here's my install thread on that :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
thanks! I was debating whether or not i wanna get up to 285s. Trouble is, if i make that jump, will i need to regear? I have a 6 spd manual

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
thanks! I was debating whether or not i wanna get up to 285s. Trouble is, if i make that jump, will i need to regear? I have a 6 spd manual
The BFG K02s in the 285/70 run 32.5" tall, just a little over an inch taller or about 4% greater rolling diameter than stock 245/75s. The 6spd isn't as friendly for taller tires vs the 8sp AT but the 285/70 isn't too much of a jump. If you were planning on a 315/70 or a true 35 then much more significant.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The BFG K02s in the 285/70 run 32.5" tall, just a little over an inch taller or about 4% greater rolling diameter than stock 245/75s. The 6spd isn't as friendly for taller tires vs the 8sp AT but the 285/70 isn't too much of a jump. If you were planning on a 315/70 or a true 35 then much more significant.
thanks, i appreciate the insight and your efforts in answering my questions.

Two more: would the 285s cause rubbing or anything of the sort? I still have the stock bumper and the fender liners between the fender and bumper. I do plan on upgrading the bumper but i was going to upgrade wheels first.

also, would the jump in tire size cause extra wear and tear on the transmission or driveline?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
thanks, i appreciate the insight and your efforts in answering my questions.

Two more: would the 285s cause rubbing or anything of the sort? I still have the stock bumper and the fender liners between the fender and bumper. I do plan on upgrading the bumper but i was going to upgrade wheels first.

also, would the jump in tire size cause extra wear and tear on the transmission or driveline?
My 295/70/17s (which are about 33.3" tall and 10mm wider) rubbed on that euro fender piece between the fender and bumper just a bit. Since that piece is a soft plastic it wore down enough so it didn't rub any more and didn't cause any abrasion on the tire. The 285/70s would have less of an issue there, so IMO it's not really a concern.

These transmissions are the same in the Rubicon which comes w/ those 285 tires from the factory.
Only real downside is you won't use 6 spd as much and your mpg will decrease a bit. Gotta pay to play :)

Here's a good thread on those w/ 285s on Sports, and keep in mind, those new 0 offset wheels will put the tire out enough that there will be no concern of contact issues to the inside fender/suspension area, so ALL GOOD!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sports-with-rubicon-wheels.13692/

Sponsored

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
My 295/70/17s (which are about 33.3" tall and 10mm wider) rubbed on that euro fender piece between the fender and bumper just a bit. Since that piece is a soft plastic it wore down enough so it didn't rub any more and didn't cause any abrasion on the tire. The 285/70s would have less of an issue there, so IMO it's not really a concern.

These transmissions are the same in the Rubicon which comes w/ those 285 tires from the factory.
Only real downside is you won't use 6 spd as much and your mpg will decrease a bit. Gotta pay to play :)

Here's a good thread on those w/ 285s on Sports, and keep in mind, those new 0 offset wheels will put the tire out enough that there will be no concern of contact issues to the inside fender/suspension area, so ALL GOOD!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sports-with-rubicon-wheels.13692/

The Rubicons 4.11 axle gears make a big difference too. You not only loose 6th gear on the highway you also lose the the abiltiy to use your transmission to help you creep over obsitcales and down hills. This is a big factor for me even on snowy roads and the reason why I am planning on going with 255/75 R17.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all! In regards to the wheels, do i need to do more research on any spacers or adapter hardware that may be necessary ? Or can these wheels just be mounted straight on?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you all! In regards to the wheels, do i need to do more research on any spacers or adapter hardware that may be necessary ? Or can these wheels just be mounted straight on?
The wheel itself will be a simple bolt on w/ no additional adapters, etc. You may need new lug nuts, many aftermarket wheels have lug bores that are smaller than stock so the OEM lug nuts may be too big. Tirerack should be able to help with that. Here's a thread I posted about my lug nut dilemma
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)