Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Hey Everyone,

This past weekend I installed an Alien Sunshade I received for Christmas. Originally I had intended to drop my windshield for the first time to expedite the install but got hung up on the wiper removal as I believe others on this forum have also experienced. At first neither one would budge after removing the protective cap and nut. Then, the drivers side one inexplicably came off with zero effort on my 4th or 5th attempt. Unfortunately I could not replicate this on the passenger side and reverted to installing the sunshade with the windshield intact. Can anyone provide tips for removing my passenger side wiper? I have no idea why the driver's-side eventually came off but the passenger's side remained frozen.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the concept of wanting to lower the windshield but I have only had mine flipped partially down so I could install my sunshade, I could see where haveing it down on the beach and a few other places so you would have thought that FCA would have developed a better way to attach them for easier removal

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeep4Life0112

You need a tool like @Patinito linked to. With such a tool they easily come off.

If you ever lose the little cover caps, here is the Mopar part# :

wiper-cap.jpg

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Hey Everyone,

This past weekend I installed an Alien Sunshade I received for Christmas. Originally I had intended to drop my windshield for the first time to expedite the install but got hung up on the wiper removal as I believe others on this forum have also experienced. At first neither one would budge after removing the protective cap and nut. Then, the drivers side one inexplicably came off with zero effort on my 4th or 5th attempt. Unfortunately I could not replicate this on the passenger side and reverted to installing the sunshade with the windshield intact. Can anyone provide tips for removing my passenger side wiper? I have no idea why the driver's-side eventually came off but the passenger's side remained frozen.

Thanks in advance
You don't need to drop the windshield entirely to install the sunshade! After many failed attempts and some 4 letter words, I found it much easier to lift windshield just enough to align the bungees with the bolt holes and put it back down. After I figured out that method, install for the front portion took less than a minute.

Whatever you do.. don't waste your time with the plastic clips. Just use the windshield bolts. The clips heat up, bend and break in hot weather.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Thanks for the responses. I can't believe I didn't realize that I could partially drop the windshield while the wipers were still attached and folded away. That would have obviously saved about an hour of cursing right there. I will look to order the suggested tool and then lubricate the posts once the wipers are removed. Planning to do some summer camping and sand dune exploring up at Silver Lake, MI this summer. Think dropping the windshield for that experience would be fun.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
Using the aforementioned tool is probably safer but you can get them off by hand too. Flip the blades up, pull a bit to apply a some pressure and then give a firm smack of the palm where the blade attaches to the Jeep. Mine popped right off.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Using the aforementioned tool is probably safer but you can get them off by hand too. Flip the blades up, pull a bit to apply a some pressure and then give a firm smack of the palm where the blade attaches to the Jeep. Mine popped right off.
This ^^^ I flipped mine up and wiggled then back and forth a little then popped them off.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Took mine off over the weekend to fold the windshield down. Both of mine were stuck, so here is what I did that worked like a charm:

1. Loosen the nut but don't remove. make sure there is some space between the nut and wiper.
2. Lift up on the wiper while tapping the bolt with a hammer.
3. When the wiper breaks loose, the loosened nut will keep it from flying off
4. Remove nut and remove wiper :)

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Whatever tool that was on Amazon, it's no longer at that link.

Regarding the last post, the first step "loosen the nut" is the one I couldn't get past. I felt I was stressing the motor and linkage so I bailed.

Sponsored

Phatm9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Jl- 2007 Sahara Jk
i picked up that tool at advanced auto if you dont wanna wait on amazon

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Took mine off over the weekend to fold the windshield down. Both of mine were stuck, so here is what I did that worked like a charm:

1. Loosen the nut but don't remove. make sure there is some space between the nut and wiper.
2. Lift up on the wiper while tapping the bolt with a hammer.
3. When the wiper breaks loose, the loosened nut will keep it from flying off
4. Remove nut and remove wiper :)
Worked like a champ! Thanks!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
This ^^^ I flipped mine up and wiggled then back and forth a little then popped them off.
Yes, easiest to raise the wiper fully and hold arm for leverage.

Wiggle the wiper up and down with the bolt as the fulcrum. You are not trying to pry the wiper off, you are just breaking the hold of the schmutz on the teeth. The hinge will not hold up to actual prying force.

Remember to wipe the threads and put some anti-seize on when replacing. Note that there are no holes in the cubby panel, because you are supposed to put the bolts back on right away. Carry a bag or towel for the undoubtedly gross wipers because they will leave perfectly straight, crisp black grease stains on the first five things they touch.

Reactions: RZ.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Best bet is to get a wiper blade arm puller tool... Using the tool reduces the risk of damaging anything if you go to physically force/wiggle loose the wiper.

Such tools can be had locally at parts stores or on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Amon-Tech-Windscreen-Remover-Removal/dp/B01HJBM2WG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3TL7CZLF9L4WK&dchild=1&keywords=wiper+removal+tool&qid=1586214162&sprefix=wiper+re,aps,422&sr=8-3

If you misplace your wiper cap(s), I posted the part number for them earlier in this thread..

Also, I am presently testing a custom wiper cap offering. The aftermarket cap is really nice. The caps have designs. The set I am testing / have installed now, have a star and fit/look are great ... and they look way nicer then stock caps.

Sponsored

Last edited: