Sponsored

Tips for removing windshield wipers?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Best bet is to get a wiper blade arm puller tool... Using the tool reduces the risk of damaging anything if you go to physically force/wiggle loose the wiper.

Such tools can be had locally at parts stores or on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Amon-Tech-Windscreen-Remover-Removal/dp/B01HJBM2WG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3TL7CZLF9L4WK&dchild=1&keywords=wiper+removal+tool&qid=1586214162&sprefix=wiper+re,aps,422&sr=8-3

If you misplace your wiper cap(s), I posted the part number for them earlier in this thread..

Also, I am presently testing a custom wiper cap offering. The aftermarket cap is really nice. The caps have designs. The set I am testing / have installed now, have a star and fit/look are great ... and they look way nicer then stock caps.

When available for sale I will post more info here. NO, not a DI Labs offering..

Sounds like you're always busy looking for ways to better our Jeeps :)

FWIW that little hammer tap trick worked so well it's hard not to recommend going that route, at least it was for me :)
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sounds like you're always busy looking for ways to better our Jeeps :)

FWIW that little hammer tap trick worked so well it's hard not to recommend going that route, at least it was for me :)
@blnewt

Over the years, on different vehicles, I have used the "hammer tap" approach...... actually I still do... as it works much of the time BUT ... but if the hammer tap does not do the deed... a wiper blade arm puller 99% of the time will do the deed..

So, I acquired a wipe puller tool years ago... 8-) I always promote/tell young guys and gals to get a wiper puller tool to keep in their tool box.... cause they will need it one of these days...

On a side note..... have you seen the Wiper Caps, with the designs on them, that THREEDOM has for the JL and JT?

The custom wiper caps are quality and look cool.... I have the flag design that waves the flag when the wipers are on..... there is also among many other designs offered the Jeep Wave that waves...
https://mythreedom.com/products/jl_jt_wiper_caps

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Best bet is to get a wiper blade arm puller tool... Using the tool reduces the risk of damaging anything if you go to physically force/wiggle loose the wiper.

Such tools can be had locally at parts stores or on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Amon-Tech-Windscreen-Remover-Removal/dp/B01HJBM2WG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3TL7CZLF9L4WK&dchild=1&keywords=wiper+removal+tool&qid=1586214162&sprefix=wiper+re,aps,422&sr=8-3

If you misplace your wiper cap(s), I posted the part number for them earlier in this thread..

Also, I am presently testing a custom wiper cap offering. The aftermarket cap is really nice. The caps have designs. The set I am testing / have installed now, have a star and fit/look are great ... and they look way nicer then stock caps.

When available for sale I will post more info here. NO, not a DI Labs offering..

[/
I looked at that wiper puller, it breaks a lot, was wondering which of the higher quality PULLERS would fit my 2019 JL, I am not sure what to look for and or match size wise...thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Bullwinkle

They all seem to be cheaply made these days... they cost say $8-9.00. I don't have one to suggest buying... they are cheap, so buy and go easy on it and replace as needed...

The one I have is unbranded and probably older then you are... I have had it many many years.
Mine is pretty well made but still, I go easy on it..

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
@Bullwinkle

They all seem to be cheaply made these days... they cost say $8-9.00. I don't have one to suggest buying... they are cheap, so buy and go easy on it and replace as needed...

The one I have is unbranded and probably older then you are... I have had it many many years.
Mine is pretty well made but still, I go easy on it..

ok cool, I'm easy on gear anyhow. ty

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Ordered that tool just from reading this post :). Don't need it now but looks like a great addition to the Jeep toolbox. Thanks!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
so you would have thought that FCA would have developed a better way to attach them for easier removal
You mean like Ford has done on their van and trucks (plus other models) for the last 50 years. Even my 2018 Ford e450 chassis RV has them. I remove the arms when I park it for a long time just so the blades don't age as fast. Plus you pretty much have to remove the arms to change the wipers unless you are tall or have a step ladder. Here's a video of how easy it is.

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Pull the wiper blades up off the windshield and the rock the wiper arms back and forth in a left to right motion. This will free them off the flared pivot. Don’t tap on the nut , you will damage the pivot.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Hey Everyone,

This past weekend I installed an Alien Sunshade I received for Christmas. Originally I had intended to drop my windshield for the first time to expedite the install but got hung up on the wiper removal as I believe others on this forum have also experienced. At first neither one would budge after removing the protective cap and nut. Then, the drivers side one inexplicably came off with zero effort on my 4th or 5th attempt. Unfortunately I could not replicate this on the passenger side and reverted to installing the sunshade with the windshield intact. Can anyone provide tips for removing my passenger side wiper? I have no idea why the driver's-side eventually came off but the passenger's side remained frozen.

Thanks in advance
Curse as much as humanly possible

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Pull the wiper blades up off the windshield and the rock the wiper arms back and forth in a left to right motion. This will free them off the flared pivot. Don’t tap on the nut , you will damage the pivot.
Your trick worked like a charm after trying to use Brutane strength for the past 10 minutes. Sadly to say I felt like I was giving the windshield wiper a hand job but it freaking worked and came off so easy.

Sponsored

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Your trick worked like a charm after trying to use Brutane strength for the past 10 minutes. Sadly to say I felt like I was giving the windshield wiper a hand job but it freaking worked and came off so easy.
Thanks buddy, just retired after 52 years in the industry. My wife says I should write a book.

Torrieb

First Name
Torrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys
Wish I found this thread before installing my spiderweb sunshade that insisted that you had to remove the wipers. Got them off but cannot get the left one seated correctly. Even after tightening the bolt wiper is still loose. Any tips on getting it back on correctly?
Sponsored