Sponsored

Throttle Surge

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
On my 2021 JLUR - Since I got it, I noticed that it has a throttle surge at idle. It happens when it is cold and I press the brake pedal in. It revs up to around 2k rpm then slowly drops down. I have a manual transmission if that makes a difference. I typically shift to neutral at a stop sign or light. Although I have also noticed it if I just hold the clutch in and keep it in gear. It seems to be correlating with the brake pedal pressure(if I just shift to neutral and coast, it doesn’t happen until I press the brake pedal). It typically happens for about the first 2-3 miles of my commute. Regardless of how long I warm the engine up before driving, it still seems to do the same thing when driving.

Does anyone else notice this with their JL?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JerseyMark

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What engine setup do you have in your 21?
I have the 3.6 v6 with manual transmission.
I paid a little more attention today. If I coast to a stop in neutral, the engine does rev to around 1800 rpm when I depress clutch and shift to neutral. Then when I gently depress the brake, rpms drop to normal idle. Then when I am at a complete stop and hold the brake pedal down, it revs up to 2k rpms, stays for about a second then starts dropping back down.

It seems to do this until temp gauge is at the standard operating temperature. So, mainly for the first 2 stop signs on my way to work.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
On my 2021 JLUR - Since I got it, I noticed that it has a throttle surge at idle. It happens when it is cold and I press the brake pedal in. It revs up to around 2k rpm then slowly drops down. I have a manual transmission if that makes a difference. I typically shift to neutral at a stop sign or light. Although I have also noticed it if I just hold the clutch in and keep it in gear. It seems to be correlating with the brake pedal pressure(if I just shift to neutral and coast, it doesn’t happen until I press the brake pedal). It typically happens for about the first 2-3 miles of my commute. Regardless of how long I warm the engine up before driving, it still seems to do the same thing when driving.

It’s normal
Engine rpm is higher on initial cold start to bring it up to operating temperature faster.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
mine does this too. if im in neutral while rolling and the engine is still cold, the rpms jump up to where they normally are when you first turn on the engine and its cold. once i come to a stop and put the clutch in to get going again, the rpms are lower.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JerseyMark

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I figured it might be normal. It just seemed to rev higher than other vehicles I have had.

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I figured it might be normal. It just seemed to rev higher than other vehicles I have had.
Same with my 2021 Willys 2dr -- as soon as it warms up, returns to normal rev

Newwilly420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Same with my 23 Rubicon 4dr. Goes away pretty quickly so was hoping it was normal. But it does throw me off at times cause it will pull if I don’t clutch in and let it coast for a sec or.

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance

Normal
Sponsored