Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Not a lot of posts dedicated directly to rocker skins, but I do see quite a few people running them.

Are they a must have for anyone?

Anyone feel they should be avoided like the plague?

Are some considered better than others? Why?

Personally, I have avoided them mostly because of their permanence and potential to trap dirt and road salt against the body. I do, however, see them as a great solution for hiding existing body damage.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Rocker Skins? 1673036162783
Sponsored

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I was thinking about putting some on just for the over all look on my jl, not for protection. didn't consider trapping dirt though.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I've been curious for a while on primary intended use, but never bothered to look into it. Are they meant to provide protection in the event the slider flexes and hits the body?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this one. I like the look but did not want to cut more holes into my new JLUR so I just went with the ACE sliders and have been very happy with them. It would be difficult for a rock to hit just that spot and not damage the doors above them so not sure they add that much protection. I had aluminum corner guards and the MetalCloak type guards that attached to the body on my TJ. They were beefy and had backer bars to add support. I did not run slider bars and they took a beating. Nice thing was you gained clearance. However, even with caulking and placing rubber behind them to help protect the body from rust, dirt snuck back there and rust was starting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I've been curious for a while on primary intended use, but never bothered to look into it. Are they meant to provide protection in the event the slider flexes and hits the body?
This is the best use case I could think of. Most of the rock sliders on the market are body/body bolt mounted and prone to flexing. This is even worse if they protrude out like a step.

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this one. I like the look but did not want to cut more holes into my new JLUR so I just went with the ACE sliders and have been very happy with them. It would be difficult for a rock to hit just that spot and not damage the doors above them so not sure they add that much protection. I had aluminum corner guards and the MetalCloak type guards that attached to the body on my TJ. They were beefy and had backer bars to add support. I did not run slider bars and they took a beating. Nice thing was you gained clearance. However, even with caulking and placing rubber behind them to help protect the body from rust, dirt snuck back there and rust was starting.
Yeah I am not sure how rocks would get up there with most sliders on the market. I see the better use case to prevent your aftermarket sliders from flexing into the body, or covering damage from your sliders flexing into the body.

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Maybe have some PPF installed in the rocker area prior to installing them to add some extra buffer between the salt/dirt and body?
Seems like a neat idea! That's probably better than making your own gasket and caulking or using RTV to try and seal out dirt.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
I dislike the permanent feature of the rocker skins. I want boat side style sliders, but most of them tie in with rocker skins.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
This is the best use case I could think of. Most of the rock sliders on the market are body/body bolt mounted and prone to flexing. This is even worse if they protrude out like a step.
I have the Mopar HD rock sliders, I've been actually really impressed with their durability, dropped a lot of weight on them already, but I agree since they are body mounted that flexing into the body concerns me.

Admittedly, I like the look of rocker skins, and I'm kind of happy for a functional excuse to consider getting some now lol. The PPF idea under the skin seems like a legit idea.

Sponsored

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Dude, "rocker skins" are not for the cosmetic effect. While cruising through a "rock garden", or something of the sorts, those sliders do exactly that. Slide over the rocks. They protect your sides, and provide a pivot point if you don't already have steps or sliders.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Dude, "rocker skins" are not for the cosmetic effect. While cruising through a "rock garden", or something of the sorts, those sliders do exactly that. Slide over the rocks. They protect your sides, and provide a pivot point if you don't already have steps or sliders.
I'm pretty sure "cosmetic effect" has sold more Jeep parts than anything else lol

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
But how many people are running rocker skins only? I can't say I have seen very many, if any at all, that had just the skins and no slider with them. Sliders and these skins are not close to the same thing IMO.

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I am well aware they are considered armor, but if you have dedicated sliders, I don't see them adding much beyond cosmetic protection.

I have yet to see someone run only rocker skins without sliders.

EDIT: To clarify, I have yet to see someone in a JL run rocker skins without sliders.

Last edited:

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly to cover the damages that have already been done to the rocker panels. 🤣

I can't get over the fact that you have to damage (drill) the rocker panels to protect the rocker panels.

Maybe I am not hardcore enough.
Sponsored