Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Mostly to cover the damages that have already been done to the rocker panels. šŸ¤£

I can't get over the fact that you have to damage (drill) the rocker panels to protect the rocker panels.

Maybe I am not hardcore enough.
Yeah it seems that is their primary function! šŸ¤£

Was kind of hoping someone would tell me they help brace the body or something so your body/body bolt mounted sliders won't flex as much or some crazy thing I hadn't thought of, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

But how many people are running rocker skins only? I can't say I have seen very many, if any at all, that had just the skins and no slider with them. Sliders and these skins are not close to the same thing IMO.
As mentioned, I ran them on my TJ instead of rock sliders to gain additional clearance. This was much more of a crawler than a driver so the dents did not matter. They worked great for sliding over rocks and pivoting. The Metalcloak option OP showed include tube sliders as well. Seems to defeat the purpose a bit. You can still hit the rocks above them on the body. With rock sliders, you lose a bit of clearance but are less likely to pivot a rock up into the body. I have come down very hard on my sliders and have not pushed them into the body. I think if you take a hard enough hit on the Metalcloak option you could dent them and the body. Nothing is going to guarantee protection.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly to cover the damages that have already been done to the rocker panels. šŸ¤£

I can't get over the fact that you have to damage (drill) the rocker panels to protect the rocker panels.

Maybe I am not hardcore enough.
Yep.
I tore up both rockers on my JLUR and like a true Jeeper i chose to purchase sliders that cover up the damage rather than have the bodywork done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Rocker Skins? Slider1

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

As mentioned, I ran them on my TJ instead of rock sliders to gain additional clearance. This was much more of a crawler than a driver so the dents did not matter. They worked great for sliding over rocks and pivoting. The Metalcloak option OP showed include tube sliders as well. Seems to defeat the purpose a bit. You can still hit the rocks above them on the body. With rock sliders, you lose a bit of clearance but are less likely to pivot a rock up into the body. I have come down very hard on my sliders and have not pushed them into the body. I think if you take a hard enough hit on the Metalcloak option you could dent them and the body. Nothing is going to guarantee protection.
The original post is just the rocker skin. There is no tube attached to it.

I think the big benefit of the TJ with something this style is that the tub is steel and definitely a heavier guage than the JL. Add a little more beef and it should hold up, right? I assume that was the logic.

I have seen tons of YJ's and TJ's with skins or tubes bolted onto the tubs as well, rather than the frame, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the JK or JL.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Probably heavier, but it is not the tub that is taking the beating it is whatever you are using to cover it. If the cover bends, then it will bend the body as well. With the four door length I scrap and rub the rock rails more than I ever did with the TJ. As mentioned above, I would go to a tub style cover, rock rash guard if I damaged my body to cover it up, but it would have an integrated bar on it to allow for pivoting off rocks and trees. If you are truly going with just the tub protection, you will rub the crap out of the doors if you get close to anything the traditional sliders keep those obstacles away and the idiot that parks next to you and swings his door open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Probably heavier, but it is not the tub that is taking the beating it is whatever you are using to cover it. If the cover bends, then it will bend the body as well. With the four door length I scrap and rub the rock rails more than I ever did with the TJ. As mentioned above, I would go to a tub style cover, rock rash guard if I damaged my body to cover it up, but it would have an integrated bar on it to allow for pivoting off rocks and trees. If you are truly going with just the tub protection, you will rub the crap out of the doors if you get close to anything the traditional sliders keep those obstacles away and the idiot that parks next to you and swings his door open.
Totally agree. For the majority of people, it doesnā€™t make sense to go for skins and not some sort of slider. Thatā€™s part of my curiosity.

Iā€™ll probably never have a set unless itā€™s to cover damage.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have them, I ended up putting clear silicone around all the Nut-sert holes and they seem to be working out ok. I have the DV8 set for the 2dr, not really a fan of the DV8 logo but other than that they fit they body perfectly and would provide some protection in that area if you grazed something out on the trail. I had some steel steps that my wife hated so now back to the plastic Mopar steps since keeping the wife happy makes it easier to further mod the Jeep :) I put some steel plate under those plastic steps to make them a bit more rock worthy FWIW :)

Oh, and drilling and setting the nut serts is a PITA, not something I'd really want to do again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Rocker Skins? IMG_0899.JPG

Here's my thread on the skins and the install.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dv8-rock-skins-installed.65431/

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have them, I ended up putting clear silicone around all the Nut-sert holes and they seem to be working out ok. I have the DV8 set for the 2dr, not really a fan of the DV8 logo but other than that they fit they body perfectly and would provide some protection in that area if you grazed something out on the trail. I had some steel steps that my wife hated so now back to the plastic Mopar steps since keeping the wife happy makes it easier to further mod the Jeep :) I put some steel plate under those plastic steps to make them a bit more rock worthy FWIW :)

Oh, and drilling and setting the nut serts is a PITA, not something I'd really want to do again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Rocker Skins? IMG_0899.JPG

Here's my thread on the skins and the install.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dv8-rock-skins-installed.65431/
Looking good! Probably keeps from scraping up the paint with your feet while climbing in and out too.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looking good! Probably keeps from scraping up the paint with your feet while climbing in and out too.
Thanks! If it could be securely applied w/ automotive adhesive rather than 32 total nut-serts it wouldn't be such a commitment lol. Maybe some company is working on just that!

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks! If it could be securely applied w/ automotive adhesive rather than 32 total nut-serts it wouldn't be such a commitment lol. Maybe some company is working on just that!
Bushwacker actually does! But they are plastic and more for light scrapes than protection from impact.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Just came across these from Genright. Sticks on with 3M tape and no drilling.
Not too much more than the plastic Bushwacker option as well.

I actually wouldnā€™t mind these, but I also donā€™t feel the need to shell out $300 for them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just came across these from Genright. Sticks on with 3M tape and no drilling.
Not too much more than the plastic Bushwacker option as well.

I actually wouldnā€™t mind these, but I also donā€™t feel the need to shell out $300 for them.
Not bad, and not going the nut-sert route is a plus, do they have a 2dr option though?
Sponsored