Sponsored

Thoughts on ordering Base Rubicon

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the absolute base on my previous Jeep (2005 TJ) and build it up from there. There were a few things that I later regretted not getting, but everybody's situation is different.

For the JL I opted for a few more things:
- Auto vs. Manual.
- Got the LED groups as some of the other people here recommended
- Got the Trailer Tow package since I do occasionally tow something
- Hard top - Had the soft top previously and did no use it as much as I thought I would. It also did not age well...
- Infotainment group (I work in the semiconductor industry and we have parts in this...)

Things I did not want:
- Active Safety Group. I do not like the warnings etc. and I am skeptical about the reliability. I want to keep the car for 10+ years
- Steel Bumpers. I will put on aftermarket bumpers anyway
- Cold Weather Group. Arizona, duh!
- Leather.
- Any wheel/body upgrades. I will change the wheels anyway, and the body will get it share of dings and scratches if you go offroad here.
Sponsored

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Social Media Community Coordinator
I got the absolute base on my previous Jeep (2005 TJ) and build it up from there. There were a few things that I later regretted not getting, but everybody's situation is different.

For the JL I opted for a few more things:
- Auto vs. Manual.
- Got the LED groups as some of the other people here recommended
- Got the Trailer Tow package since I do occasionally tow something
- Hard top - Had the soft top previously and did no use it as much as I thought I would. It also did not age well...
- Infotainment group (I work in the semiconductor industry and we have parts in this...)

Things I did not want:
- Active Safety Group. I do not like the warnings etc. and I am skeptical about the reliability. I want to keept the car for 10+ years
- Steel Bumpers. I will put on aftermarket bumpers anyway
- Cold Weather Group. Arizona, duh!
- Leather.
- Any wheel/body upgrades. I will change the wheels anyway, and the body will get it share of dings and scratches if you go offroad here.
You pretty much ordered the same options as our JLUR minus the LED group, and Trailer Tow package.

-Jake

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Who's is ordering a base Rubicon? Any regrets on not getting options that can not be added later on such as LED, Infortainment/Alpine? Am I crazy?

Shawn
I think you are a damn genius! You won't miss a thing but the LEDs are nice option - probably the only one I would recommend.

My order is also a "base" Rubi with 2 options: LEDs and PST. I did not need either but I consider LEDs a real safety issue for me and I wanted to try the PST for just $500 extra. Its a Wrangler - you NEED 4WD and a removable roof. I strongly considered a BASE SPORT with only A/C because I prefer manual windows and locks.

The price of my build . . . $35k. That is a lot for a Wrangler, but at only about $6k more than my base Sport build its probably worth it to me. Plus, many on this forum are well over $40k and close to $50k - so based on comparison I feel like it was the right call; to each her own.

My Wrangler mission statement: adventures that preferably include off road fun, doors off as often as possible, enjoying with family, good friends, and my dog. Hence, most options not needed for me and will not be missed. The JL Rubi is one sophisticated ride in "base" form over my last 2 Wranglers.

Just be honest with yourself.

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I’m going to order rubicon with LED and infotainment only. I feel the rest can be upgraded later

Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Base halogens any better than the JK?

About same as OP...my JKUR I ordered with: 6spd, Soft top. That's it. I literally wanted no options. They've broken things up a lot more now it seems...

I REALLY like the new soft top...that's about the only option I feel I REALLY want. The upgraded stereo came "stock" in Rubis in the JK...now it's an option. Not sure that option is worth it, even.

So for me...I'm really looking at 6sp, sunrider soft top.......and that's about it. With LEDs being questionable and Alpine being questionable.

And after all that....the diesel remains to be seen...:D

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I’m going to order rubicon with LED and infotainment only. I feel the rest can be upgraded later
Good choice.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I bought what I “needed” but wish I got the alpine. If you ride with the doors off, the stock stereo will not cut it, over 50 mph. I’m a (soft) top off and doors off owner. Honestly, if you are buying a hard top and never removing it? Why a Jeep? I’m not judging but around here, no one ever has their hard top off I guess I just I don’t understand? If it’s over 60 and sunny, my top is off.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I bought what I “needed” but wish I got the alpine. If you ride with the doors off, the stock stereo will not cut it, over 50 mph. I’m a (soft) top off and doors off owner. Honestly, if you are buying a hard top and never removing it? Why a Jeep? I’m not judging but around here, no one ever has their hard top off I guess I just I don’t understand? If it’s over 60 and sunny, my top is off.
This is why I knew I had to go soft top. I want the freedom to put the roof up or down, anywhere, anytime, on short notice with nobody around if necessary. Dual tops are cool too but I think I can live with the soft topper with Utah winters.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I test drove an absolutley base rubicon no options at all . soft top, manula and nothing else. It was pretty freaking nice. That being said I am have order a laoaded soft top ( premium) with allthe boxes ticked and couldn't be happier. Iunderstadn my order went form d to d-1 today and have a due date of March 19..

Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
What sealed the deal to get the LED was the high price and reported flickering issues with the aftermarket versions plus there is a $100 savings when they are combined with the safety group

Mojofallen

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2D
Vehicle Showcase
If you can afford some options there are some I think you may regret down the road.

• Tow / Elec group - If you ever think you may tow something you are not going to want to add it later.
  • LED lighting - If you want LEDs they are going to be way cheaper adding them at build time than later
  • Cold Weather group - Only if this is important to you as you cannot do the heated wheel later on. (I don't care for this myself)

Options that I think you are better off skipping

• Infotainment package - 1.5 larger screen with useless navigation (use your phone) and the Alpine stereo package. Expensive for what it is in my opinion. You can always go aftermarket and for the price they are charging get better speakers / amp.
  • Leather Seats - It is leather trimmed and low quality for the price they charge. If you really want leather go for www.katzkin.com down the road. For the same price you will get much better quality or for a little more you can customize it to be unique.
  • Proximity Keyless Entry - I don't find this to be over priced and if you want this I think it is worth it. Just one I would skip if trying to keep price in line
  • Active Safety Group - Same as Proximity

FYI the proxy keyless option along with the headliner are items that you can't opted out on. Once you place your 2021 Rubicon order at the dealership they will tell you that standard from the factory. Jeep.com doesn't tell you this. Probably a strategic move by Jeep to get rid of excess inventory.
Sponsored