Thoughts on ordering Base Rubicon

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Who's is ordering a base Rubicon? Any regrets on not getting options that can not be added later on such as LED, Infortainment/Alpine? Am I crazy?

Shawn
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Who's is ordering a base Rubicon? Any regrets on not getting options that can not be added later on such as LED, Infortainment/Alpine? Am I crazy?

Shawn
Crazy? Nah man, build it exactly as you want.

I'm ordering a Sport with manual trans, crank windows, and the 5" stereo. A new Rubicon is far, far from base compared to that.

Look at it this way, if you don't care to pay for those options, that's money you could put into mods or the Jeep road trip gas fund.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If you can afford some options there are some I think you may regret down the road.

• Tow / Elec group - If you ever think you may tow something you are not going to want to add it later.
  • LED lighting - If you want LEDs they are going to be way cheaper adding them at build time than later
  • Cold Weather group - Only if this is important to you as you cannot do the heated wheel later on. (I don't care for this myself)

Options that I think you are better off skipping

• Infotainment package - 1.5 larger screen with useless navigation (use your phone) and the Alpine stereo package. Expensive for what it is in my opinion. You can always go aftermarket and for the price they are charging get better speakers / amp.
  • Leather Seats - It is leather trimmed and low quality for the price they charge. If you really want leather go for www.katzkin.com down the road. For the same price you will get much better quality or for a little more you can customize it to be unique.
  • Proximity Keyless Entry - I don't find this to be over priced and if you want this I think it is worth it. Just one I would skip if trying to keep price in line
  • Active Safety Group - Same as Proximity

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?

Shawn
I ordered a Rubi with the premium soft top and heated seats/wheel, only.

I figured I could sell the top for more than I paid if I decide to get the Bestop Trektop (when available). I live in ID and thought the extra insulation would be worth while in the winter. The upgraded top may last longer than the standard. And, this is unconfirmed, but I think the premium top has tinted windows and the standard top does not.

Heated seats and steering wheel... This was on my wish list. But, for $800 i was having a hard time seeing the value in the heated seats. This was until my wifed asked me for the third time 'are you not getting the heated seats?' I asked her if she wanted them. ' I don't care it's your jeep.' she replied.

I asked her again just before i ordered and she said, 'get the f'n heated seats. This way when we're out at night and you're too drunk to drive home and too lazy to put the top up; I won't freeze my A off.'

'You got it, Babe! I'm going to order it with the heated seats, What do you think about Red vs White?'

'I don't care, It's your jeep!' she replied.

This time i took her advice and ordered in Red... not the White she preferred. She had her chance.

All kidding aside, I think a 5 yr old 'base' Rubi is a better investment than a 5 year old Sahara. I think you'll make your money back in resale when you decide to sell with the Rubi. And, when it comes time for resale, the entertainment system will be obsolete, Alpine stereo will be depreciated to zero, led lights will be better and cheaper aftermarket, and the leather will be cracked/ worn . But the transfer case, shocks, lift, wheels, fender flares, 4:10 gears will always be desired. The $10K i saved over a loaded rubicon will be spent on lift./wheels and tires... and I'll still have $3-$4K in the account to apply to my non-loaded Rubicon.

I'll let you know in 7-8 years how my non-educated, absolute guess has played out.

Get what you want and don't worry about how complete strangers would spend your money.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Initially, I didn't want the LED lights because the blue hue of the lights bothers me when driving at night. However, I later regretted this and when I tried to change my order it was too late. Oh well.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I debated it . Could have got the base Rubicon or pretty loaded Sport for roughly the same. This time I went with the options I'll be using 97% of the time. Keep in mind though the Rubicon has a lot of good stuff stock.

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Thanks for the input. The struggle is real...

Subaru Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is exactly what I am trying to build, a base rubicon with only the LED package (there aren't street lights where I live) and leather but I am starting to even question the leather.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
My initial thoughts were to keep it as basic as possible to keep the costs down. So, maybe just the towing pkg, hardtop and LEDs.

I then remembered how particular I can get once I own something, and regret starts taking its toll on me. So I went to a Jeep dealer, got eyes on a few different configurations and played around with some of the options.

Ended up adding:
Infotainment, because that Alpine system simply rocks! And the auto dimming mirror was a nice addition as well.
Steel bumpers, because it looks a lot nicer and will hold up better over time I’m sure
Safety group: because cross path detection is so helpful in detecting idiots that don’t know what 5 MPH in a parking lot means, and Blind spot monitoring is a nice feature on the hwy

I stayed with cloth, because I’ve never owned one vehicle where the leather looked good a few years down the road. But cloth, it looks great for years, and once it doesn’t, simply add neoprene seat covers for $200ish dollars and be done with it again for another 5 years plus.

Chose manual, because traffic isn’t a huge concern here, and it is fun to drive in a Wrangler. So, why not save $2000.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Get the LEDS

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'd say definitely get the LED group, it makes driving at night so much easier and there's really no need for any after market lighting if you get the LED group. Looks great and safer.

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I briefly considered ordering a Rubicon, but bought one on the lot instead. It's fairly close to base, as close as one in dealer stock gets, I suppose, with hard top, automatic, keyless start, and proximity entry (a common build). The one I would have ordered would have had only hard top and proximity entry, Maybe tow package, and would have been under $40k after supplier discount. After owning this one I wish I had ordered one with LED package, tow package, and maybe Alpine stereo.

Don't get me wrong, It's obviously no penalty box. Even the stock stereo is decent. The stock headlights are not good compared to other modern vehicles, though. Still, I could very easily live with just the LED package as the only option. I would consider the LEDs to be the only mandatory option.

NaughtyGeek

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Dodge Dart, 1969 Corvette 350/350, 2003 Exploder, 2005 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2015 4 Runner, 2017 JKUR
Order it the way you want it and can pay for it. It's also worth noting that very few options add to resale later on so you take a much bigger hit loading one out than buying "base."

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Social Media Community Coordinator
We ordered a pretty much base Rubicon as one of our fleet vehicles and have no complaints!

We figured we're going to be adding a ton of aftermarket options anyways, so why tack on the additional factory options?

I'll be sure to post some pictures.

-Jake

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Social Media Community Coordinator
We ordered a pretty much base Rubicon as one of our fleet vehicles and have no complaints!

We figured we're going to be adding a ton of aftermarket options anyways, so why tack on the additional factory options?

I'll be sure to post some pictures.

-Jake
z8rtC_T4RFzsRG7BcgSNBXqgvr8Td8efFsmZZwlV9gwc_0UOiCMsxSP5ImKsojGrt-bEmsVPctIwqN-VNd0=w732-h976-no.jpg

w8MlrwwM3t84V0G4MCFxItcp0GUgHFQste4WnwKbIAlZE7lh6EMDcBbIQQDQ27YnH8r-sGEM6dbGDaCUexE=w732-h976-no.jpg

Ma2VrM0CZcAWLvALxPt9_PeoKWtZOzQ4Xmov6QYgKfn5CYlF2Re6dMga19gMBact1hTqzgz7RFPxOqFO24=w1302-h976-no.jpg

E6-cr4xTl2kI9oNJI8aRRd5oD5-io1s-Dw8GvKxECNwDEM9jf33z-SEUDhHnlgDyzzSCL8UnL1S9rWrKPfQ=w732-h976-no.jpg

pz4Fp_PN7GyOkdTrGdXEY51mmr3r75VtjzmfA-Y1SmDSh4fKm3mTvQKJb9M2lX5qPxd-RtUYqRn4bMVuX7k=w732-h976-no.jpg
Sponsored