Sponsored

The Truth About Scratches

earthgirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
This is my 3rd and final Jeep Wrangler. I plan to grow old with it (it's my dream jeep) so I look at every little imperfection as character. Of course if it got dented bad or some hail damage while it is young, I would probably get it fixed but I don't want to stay up at night worrying about it. Hopefully, we both age gracefully.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Film cost alone is around $1300-$1500 for a full Wrangler.
When I looked at getting it done, I just said forget it, I'll have the thing painted if it's scratched beyond buffing out.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Iā€™m missing something but doesnā€™t buffing, bricks or compound lower the unaffected areas to the depth of the scratch? Iā€™ll wash and sometimes wax my Jeep so that it doesnā€™t look abandoned but I donā€™t get emotional over trail scars.

Iā€˜m not a fan of those that ā€œtrim the trailā€ with hatchets and chainsaws. Its akin to those guys that stack rocks or alter the climb to keep from scratching their lower shock mounts. Donā€™t like the risk? Donā€™t take the trail but donā€™t make it about as ā€œchallengingā€œ as a dirt road in Kansas.

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Do the deep scratches, dents and bent armor underneath my Jeep count against me at resale? You know, if I were to sell it, I bet the reason the buyer wants a Jeep like this is to do just what I have done. Use it for its intended purpose. With 600 miles on it, I took it to Arizona and put the first paint scratch on it. To this day, when I see that scratch, I think fondly of running that trail and how well my bone stock Jeep performed. It is a Jeep. Enjoy it.

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
* Itā€™s not going to buff out.

* Ceramic wonā€™t help with scratches. It will help with surface contaminants.

* To really prevent them, you need full paint protection film.

* PPF is always expensive. Painfully expensive. Like $5-7k expensive.

* Scratched plastic will remain scratched. You canā€™t fix it or heal it.

* The hardtop is painted. If you scratch it, it will remain scratched.

* Waxing and polishing can cover scratches temporarily but wonā€™t remove them. An orbital buffer wonā€™t remove them (unless they are extremely superficial).

* When you drove through that brush, you damaged your paint. Call it character if you want. But you damaged your paint and reduced your resale value.

* If you really plan to use your Jeep (and you should!) your options are 1) white paint so scratches are hard to see, 2) not caring (good luck with that, deep down), or PPF. Thatā€™s it. Thereā€™s no ceramic shortcut or anything.

* Driving carefully when near brush can really help. Youā€™ll avoid many scratches, and the ones you do get wonā€™t be as bad.

* Thereā€™s nothing wrong with caring about your paint. Just donā€™t let it stop you from enjoying your Jeep.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.
We just call it West Texas pin striping. Mesquites, Prickly Pear, All Thorn and Spanish Daggers play hell on a paint job. Just something you have to expect out here.

Sponsored

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
First blemish worry? Hell the KO2s took care of that in the first month of ownership, throwing rocks at everything in sight! I looked at the chips in the door hinges and said, "yep it's going to happen." Touch up paint took care of that.

As for avoiding excessive trail damage I went the route of self-healing clear bra on the fenders and grill and MekMagnet trail armor for trail season.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do the deep scratches, dents and bent armor underneath my Jeep count against me at resale? You know, if I were to sell it, I bet the reason the buyer wants a Jeep like this is to do just what I have done. Use it for its intended purpose. With 600 miles on it, I took it to Arizona and put the first paint scratch on it. To this day, when I see that scratch, I think fondly of running that trail and how well my bone stock Jeep performed. It is a Jeep. Enjoy it.
Yes.
Scratches, dents, and bent armor are like that beat up old shotgun your dad left you. You see the good times when you look at it. Other people just see the dents and scratches.
Sponsored