George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Willys
Vehicle Showcase
i am trying to decide on a front bumper, one of course that i can mount a winch. Here is my problem, when i had the 2018 JLU Sport most of the grill was blocked off (only allowing air in from the top of the grill). Now i have a 2020 Willys with the 2.0 T and the grill is all open for air to get in the engine compartment.

So my problem making a decision is should i go with a bumper where the winch will rest inside or go with a top mount? My concern with the top mount is that it will block the air flow to cool down the engine. i am leaning towards the
Smittybilt 76730 Stryker Front Bumper, what is neat about this bumper is that is modular in case i move to a state that requires full size bumper and the winch is recessed in the bumper.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
2EC647E5-19BE-49FE-B749-E2B24B606269.jpeg
51AC6FBB-C9FA-46EA-9791-5D1B4312F932.jpeg
2FC42BE5-2E9B-49DC-ACA6-C37121734119.jpeg

Rubicon wheels and tires and magnaflow axle back exhaust
I like! Looks awesome. I have a '18 Sport S black. Curious if you installed a lift or is it stock? I am deciding if I really want a lift and 35's. I feel that if I went that route I would want to regear (more $$) to get the power and gas mileage back.

My off roading will only be moderate. But I want a more aggressive look. Your set up looks awesome.

I have installed the Rubi steel front bumper with LED fogs and also OEM LED headlights.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
i am trying to decide on a front bumper, one of course that i can mount a winch. Here is my problem, when i had the 2018 JLU Sport most of the grill was blocked off (only allowing air in from the top of the grill). Now i have a 2020 Willys with the 2.0 T and the grill is all open for air to get in the engine compartment.

So my problem making a decision is should i go with a bumper where the winch will rest inside or go with a top mount? My concern with the top mount is that it will block the air flow to cool down the engine. i am leaning towards the
Smittybilt 76730 Stryker Front Bumper, what is neat about this bumper is that is modular in case i move to a state that requires full size bumper and the winch is recessed in the bumper.
How in the world did you block most of the grill off with a winch?!?!
We have the barricade aluminum bumper and the winch sits on top (not recessed) and doesn't even come close to blocking 1/3 of the grill. Have had that thing from NC to AZ, UT, CO at 12,900 feet where the air is THIN and never come close to over heating or starving it for air.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How in the world did you block most of the grill off with a winch?!?!
We have the barricade aluminum bumper and the winch sits on top (not recessed) and doesn't even come close to blocking 1/3 of the grill. Have had that thing from NC to AZ, UT, CO at 12,900 feet where the air is THIN and never come close to over heating or starving it for air.
I might have worded that wrong. What i meant was that the black slots that allow air into the engine comparment where solid not allowing air in. That was on the 2018 sport, on the 2020 2.0T they are all open. So what i was wondering was if the 2.0 ran hotter and if i should be concerned with blocking air flow.
I am a newbie to all this so i am learning as i go.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I might have worded that wrong. What i meant was that the black slots that allow air into the engine comparment where solid not allowing air in. That was on the 2018 sport, on the 2020 2.0T they are all open. So what i was wondering was if the 2.0 ran hotter and if i should be concerned with blocking air flow.
I am a newbie to all this so i am learning as i go.
I'm two years and 10s of thousands of dollars in and I'm still a noob... lol.
All of the jeep's seven slots are the same, they have a plastic mesh in them that allows plenty of air flow. putting a winch on top of the bumper will do no harm in air flow regardless of what engine you have :)

EDIT:
Wait, the 2.0 has no plastic mesh in the slots?

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my Sport S. Added the same tires as on a Rubicon. Frankly, looks-wise I like it better than the Rubicon. Capability-for-your-money the Rubicon can't be beat but I don't really need it for what I do.

img_1860-jpg.jpg
Looks great. 33" tires? any problems with rubbing or articulation?

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm two years and 10s of thousands of dollars in and I'm still a noob... lol.
All of the jeep's seven slots are the same, they have a plastic mesh in them that allows plenty of air flow. putting a winch on top of the bumper will do no harm in air flow regardless of what engine you have :)

EDIT:
Wait, the 2.0 has no plastic mesh in the slots?

It has the plastic mesh.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Looks great. 33" tires? any problems with rubbing or articulation?
i never had a problem. I have added a rubicon take-off suspension since and it has definitely helped.

Sponsored

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Need some help, working with a 2020 JLU Wiiys. It has the plastic front bumper with LED fog lights. I just picked up the smittybilt stryker front bumper stating that it has OE fog light provisioning. That turned out to be a bunch of BS. looking for any advise on how to make this work other than going and getting different fog lights.

Thanks
fog.jpg
bumper.jpg

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There are about 5 different fog light mounting configurations on the JL. It's a nightmare. I'm guessing they meant it was compatible with the Rubicon. Call the manufacturer and tell them what your OEM configuration was and see if they can point you to an adapter.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks,

That was the first thought i had, come to find out Smittybilt is only open monday thur Friday 730 to 330 PT. Wish my work hours where like that lol. Anyway i got so frustrated i just purchased a set of KC Gravity G4 in amber. i hope that will solve my issue, now i have to wait to monday to call them as i am missing a bracket to install the bumper.

OnceHadAJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slow Subaru
Thanks,

That was the first thought i had, come to find out Smittybilt is only open monday thur Friday 730 to 330 PT. Wish my work hours where like that lol. Anyway i got so frustrated i just purchased a set of KC Gravity G4 in amber. i hope that will solve my issue, now i have to wait to monday to call them as i am missing a bracket to install the bumper.
I would have just busted out the angle grinder and some l brackets from Home Depot.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found any skid plates for the 2.0 turbo? I have not been able to find anything for the oil pan, transfer case or
Sponsored