Sponsored

onejeepguy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Interested in adding a receiver hitch to my JLUS. I see the Mopar hitch for $200, and then see this Rugged Ridge for ~$75. Trying to figure out why to buy the Mopar when the Rugged Ridge, and others, are so much less. What have others purchased for an aftermarket receiver hitch? I doubt I'll be doing any towing, though the Rugged Ridge would support it. Neither the Mopar or Rugged Ridge comes with the wiring harness. I simply want to use it for a hitch bike rack or a cargo platform.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Do not waste your money on any of the Mopar hitch or wiring.

Amazon or Etrailer is the best source for these. I installed the

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" only $75, What I like about this receiver is it is longer than others and makes it easier to hook up and puts the ball at the outer edge of the spare tire, the Mopar is shorter giving you less room for error when backing up to align and connect. Also for a bike rack or cargo platfown this will give you better extension to get past the spare tire compared to the Mopar or the Rugged Ridge...

https://www.amazon.com/Draw-Tite-76...id=1547604082&sr=8-1&keywords=draw+tite+76104

76104.png

As for wiring many have had issues with the Mopar wiring harness, Buy the
Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector $92 Amazon, This is easy to install and includes everything you need

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...ng+Harness+with+4-Pole+Flat+Trailer+Connector

91xac4xwaOL._SL1500_.jpg

Below is this hitch on mine and you can see it sticks out to the outer edge of the bumper versus those like the Mopar that has it recessed several inches back, this also makes it easier for pins and safety cables as the long neck does not crowd them.

Also note this has is a class III 500-lb tounge weight whereas the mopar if I recall is only 300-lb

back_zpsg4ectnuf.jpg

Last edited:

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
Interested in adding a receiver hitch to my JLUS. I see the Mopar hitch for $200, and then see this Rugged Ridge for ~$75. Trying to figure out why to buy the Mopar when the Rugged Ridge, and others, are so much less. What have others purchased for an aftermarket receiver hitch? I doubt I'll be doing any towing, though the Rugged Ridge would support it. Neither the Mopar or Rugged Ridge comes with the wiring harness. I simply want to use it for a hitch bike rack or a cargo platform.
You can also use a JK trailer hitch. Find them $20-40 on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Wiring is different though

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If I recall the pre-drilled bolt holes do not line up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I've had my Sport S for about a month now. Absolutely LOVE IT.

It is my first Jeep and I have some questions.
Would I need to re-gear if I were put 35's on?
And should I go for MOPAR 2" lift or just Rubi suspensions with high flares?
You probably don't need to re-gear but if you have a manual I'm guessing you will lose some power with 35s. I feel like I can tell the difference with 33s. I think with the automatic and especially the turbo you wouldn't need to re-gear.

dsmin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
You probably don't need to re-gear but if you have a manual I'm guessing you will lose some power with 35s. I feel like I can tell the difference with 33s. I think with the automatic and especially the turbo you wouldn't need to re-gear.
Awesome! Thanks!
I have 3.6L auto.I think I should be good!

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in a 2015 Mercedes GLK350 for this 2018 JL Sahara. I love it, but the front end wobbles a little going over overpasses on the highway. I'm thinking maybe a steering stabilizer. I know it won't ride like the Benz but it does give a good ride and has all of the accessories of the Benz.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Lighten the wallet?
Ya, I'm finding that out. I also have a Harley Road Glide, so I know what its like to throw money at a vehicle!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I am also interested in a hitch and have been doing a lot of reading lately

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

I am also interested in a hitch and have been doing a lot of reading lately
Here’s what I did. No electrical as for bike only and can grab my wife’s suv if I need to tow.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...par-hitch-68251844ab-today.17124/#post-419522

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind the short neck receivers can be problematic if you have a 35"x 12.5" spare it could be tight or a no-go for some bike racks to clear the spare where as the long neck receivers give you that extra clearance, not to mention the hitch pins and safety cables for towing are really cramped on the short neck receivers.

onejeepguy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Keep in mind the short neck receivers can be problematic if you have a 35"x 12.5" spare it could be tight or a no-go for some bike racks to clear the spare where as the long neck receivers give you that extra clearance, not to mention the hitch pins and safety cables for towing are really cramped on the short neck receivers.
Thanks, I will be upgrading to 35s when I burn through my current tires. Can you recommend a receiver hitch that is not short neck? Thanks!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I will be upgrading to 35s when I burn through my current tires. Can you recommend a receiver hitch that is not short neck? Thanks!
For bike rack/accessories or for towing?

onejeepguy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
For bike rack/accessories or for towing?
For bike rack/cargo tray. I don't plan on doing any towing.

But, if I were to decide to buy a trailer at some point and want to tow it, what else might you recommend for a hitch? I know I would need the wiring harness to legally tow with secondary brake lights.
Sponsored