Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Took the JLUR in for a warranted transmission fluid leak on December 30, and remembered to ask about the rattle I sometimes hear under the hood.

Rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, and when it's warm, there's a bad rattle. When it's cold no rattle, when I use premium fuel, it's lessened.

Service Tech heard it, and immediately said "that's a cam /lifter problem, very common, and a known warranty issue".

Received confirmation on January 3, that the lifters had collapsed, and had worn down the cam, flooding the motor with metal shavings.

Local dealer submitted a Warranty claim for a new motor, that was finally approved today by Jeep.

Unfortunately, there is no timeline for delivery of the new motor, and due to "supply chain issues" it may be a week, or weeks, a month or months. No one knows.
Sorry to here it brother, how many miles ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Talked to the Dealer this morning.

Good news!

The new motor has arrived, and the dealer is expecting the gaskets to be delivered on Thursday.

3-4 work days to put it all together, and I should have my Jeep back...sometime next week. If this happens, I'll be very pleased.

Less than 1 month turn around on a motor replacement in this supply chain shortage environment is admirable.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Took the JLUR in for a warranted transmission fluid leak on December 30, and remembered to ask about the rattle I sometimes hear under the hood.

Rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, and when it's warm, there's a bad rattle. When it's cold no rattle, when I use premium fuel, it's lessened.

Service Tech heard it, and immediately said "that's a cam /lifter problem, very common, and a known warranty issue".

Received confirmation on January 3, that the lifters had collapsed, and had worn down the cam, flooding the motor with metal shavings.

Local dealer submitted a Warranty claim for a new motor, that was finally approved today by Jeep.

Unfortunately, there is no timeline for delivery of the new motor, and due to "supply chain issues" it may be a week, or weeks, a month or months. No one knows.
Wow, not sure if that is a bummer, I thought the lifter problem was solved. Just curious, was it on the passenger side, rear of the engine that was rattling? That was where my son's lifter failed, and I think is the most common one to fail. Maybe there is not enough oil getting to that rear lifter?

But I guess good for you, you get a new engine.

Love the LOD sliders. Do you think they will give better protection than the factory ones?

Nice build by the way.

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Wow, not sure if that is a bummer, I thought the lifter problem was solved. Just curious, was it on the passenger side, rear of the engine that was rattling? That was where my son's lifter failed, and I think is the most common one to fail. Maybe there is not enough oil getting to that rear lifter?

But I guess good for you, you get a new engine.

Love the LOD sliders. Do you think they will give better protection than the factory ones?

Nice build by the way.
It IS a bummer, but a new motor is much preferred to some new internal parts.

The sound I was hearing was on the driver side. I don't know though. If I get the change to ask the mechanic, I will.

The LOD Sliders are definitely more robust and protective then the factory. These bold up to the frame. They were extremely simple to install.

Appreciate the kind words. I really love everything about this jeep and my build. I have been worried about the motor, but it looks like we may be coming out of the woods on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Dealer got the Jeep driving today, which is great news! Unfortunately, while driving the check engine light came on. Tech checked it and found a 5 volt reference code. So something with either cam sensor or the intake pressure sensor triggered it.

Sensors are reading correctly so they went through the wiring looking for high resistance somewhere on the reference chart.

He found high resistance in portion of harness going to intake pressure sensor. He attempted to do a wiring repair first, to run an overlay over that portion of the harness.

That didn't work (fortunately?) So the whole harness will have to be replaced.

Hopeful this isn't the first of many electrical gremlins...expect to get the harness installed tomorrow, and the Jeep returned as well.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Dealer got the Jeep driving today, which is great news! Unfortunately, while driving the check engine light came on. Tech checked it and found a 5 volt reference code. So something with either cam sensor or the intake pressure sensor triggered it.

Sensors are reading correctly so they went through the wiring looking for high resistance somewhere on the reference chart.

He found high resistance in portion of harness going to intake pressure sensor. He attempted to do a wiring repair first, to run an overlay over that portion of the harness.

That didn't work (fortunately?) So the whole harness will have to be replaced.

Hopeful this isn't the first of many electrical gremlins...expect to get the harness installed tomorrow, and the Jeep returned as well.
Not surprising, there may be a bug or 2 they have to work out, but I bet they will work it all out fairly quickly. I will keep my fingers crossed for good luck.

MACATK

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2 door, 1.5 turbo
This is the Build Thread for a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

I am starting this thread as early as possible! When I receive the Jeep I will chronicle all the modifications and dates here, and post pictures where it adds value.

May 31, 2019 - Order placed with DeMontrond in Conroe, TX
June 5, 2019 - VIN Created
June 12, 2019 - Build Sheet Created
June 14, 2019 - KZ Status - "Released by plant and invoiced"
June 15, 2019 - Window Sticker Created
June 24, 2019 - Delivery to Pearland
July 3, 2019 - Delivery to DeMontrond in Conroe.
Love your thread

Sponsored

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Re-Installed the TazerJL, after I did the update to the firmware. It's much less daunting the second time. First time I was afraid I was going to fry the computer.

I also ordered and installed the AEV Bilstein Steering Dampener. Probably not a good use of $100, TBH. It didn't do anything to improve steering, just adds mild resistance to turning. And, actually, I think it worsened the pull to the right.

I'm going to try the "pull the fuse" trick on the steering and see if it works. Maybe have another alignment done. I'm afraid the only real solution to this problem is a PSC hydraulic steering pump.

PXL_20220216_043811285.jpg

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Ordered another set of Rigid 360s for the cowl, and the Front and Rear ARB diff covers.
Will need to address some wiring mess the Tech made with my dual battery system during the engine replacement.

It all works out together, as I am ready to install the ARB Dual compressor under the passenger seat, which requires pulling the batteries and fuse box under the hood, for easy access.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Re-Installed the TazerJL, after I did the update to the firmware. It's much less daunting the second time. First time I was afraid I was going to fry the computer.

I also ordered and installed the AEV Bilstein Steering Dampener. Probably not a good use of $100, TBH. It didn't do anything to improve steering, just adds mild resistance to turning. And, actually, I think it worsened the pull to the right.

I'm going to try the "pull the fuse" trick on the steering and see if it works. Maybe have another alignment done. I'm afraid the only real solution to this problem is a PSC hydraulic steering pump.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Moose is Loose! PXL_20220216_211245352
You get mopar lower CAs? Tighten the ball joint nuts?
Im going through the same issues.
Sponsored